Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buying a new car that is only 1-2 year old with totally new system (EV) is supposed to have so many issues. That applies to pretty much all EVs except Tesla cars. I don't understand why people are so hyped about buying those untested cars as soon as they hit the market.

Reactions: DrGriz
Buying a new car that is only 1-2 year old with totally new system (EV) is supposed to have so many issues. That applies to pretty much all EVs except Tesla cars. I don't understand why people are so hyped about buying those untested cars as soon as they hit the market.
Because EVs are perceived as being inherently more reliable than ice vehicles, due to having less moving parts and simpler drivetrains. Ev drivetrains are purported to have 20 moving parts vs 200 for ice.

I say the same about the Cybertruck. It will go through teething pains as new product.

I received R1 shop access and see hundreds of available R1Ts (and barely any R1Sea) and Lightnings sit on lots unsold. I think the EV truck market is very limited. Rivian has said 70% of their orders are for the SUV and they’ve already built 50K trucks.

I was going to order a Maverick but lack of supply and ridiculous dealer markup on the ones that popped up on the lots kept me waiting... till the Jan Tesla price drops. It was game over then.

Yeah Ford underestimated demand badly. They only produced 91K in 2022 but could have sold twice that easily (which is RAV4 like numbers). They shipped 15K overseas/Canada.

(had URL link problem as forum was rejecting the funky link)
IMG_5799.jpeg

On the flipside - Ford, Hyundai, Kia overestimated demand for EVs in the US. I think when Ford ramps up to 200K Mach-Es per year… you will see them sit on lots. That would not happen with a Maverick.

About a month in and I'm happy with the Ioniq 5. I miss PAAK and walk away lock... I thought I would miss auto-on but I actually like being able to get in to the car without everything turning on.

I prefer having the driver display, especially the auto-drive visualization being in front of me helps me feel "safer" using them. I never used auto lane change in the Y, was that included in the standard feature set?

Charging has been fine... the 80% in 18 minutes has been consistent and I don't mind sitting at a charger waiting because I get to see other EVs (rather than just different color Teslas). I've seen and EQB, EQS, iX, and a myriad of PHEVs and EVs (including the VinFast I posted earlier).

Interior space is bigger after doing some longer drives and being able to switch regen modes with the paddles shifters is great. The ride does seem much better to us but that varies by the beholder.

I was planning on getting a CyberTruck but I think the EV9 will be a much better fit for us and the videos I have been watching lately makes it look really good... even better than the R1S.

Reactions: jsight
... because I get to see other EVs (rather than just different color Teslas). I've seen and EQB, EQS, iX, and a myriad of PHEVs and EVs (including the VinFast I posted earlier).

... being able to switch regen modes with the paddles shifters is great. The ride does seem much better to us but that varies by the beholder.
Tesla solved that first problem. You should be able to see a whole bunch of other cars at superchargers soon because others are all dropping the CCS port.

I've never understood the desire to have paddle shifters. One pedal driving is great. Personally I don't want one pedal and one paddle driving. I wonder if toyota will put paddle regen control in their cars along with their fake gear boxes! Woudn't that be fun? No you don't need to simplify anymore. You can have controls in 3 separate areas!

I don't know how interior space is bigger. I feel Tesla Y is having more interior and storage space in this class of vehicles. I loved the retro style of Ioniq 5 and sporty style of EV6. Being haunted by myriad of issues I felt I need a car to drive and not sit in shop for weeks or months. So I went ahead and order the same day once I walked away from my EV6 deal because of paint scuff on rear quarter panel. I hate the Tesla design especially model Y but I ended up ordering that.

Everything happens for a reason Lol 🤣

I don't know how interior space is bigger. I feel Tesla Y is having more interior and storage space in this class of vehicles. I loved the retro style of Ioniq 5 and sporty style of EV6. Being haunted by myriad of issues I felt I need a car to drive and not sit in shop for weeks or months. So I went ahead and order the same day once I walked away from my EV6 deal because of paint scuff on rear quarter panel. I hate the Tesla design especially model Y but I ended up ordering that.

Everything happens for a reason Lol 🤣

The Model Y has way more storage than the EV6 but I felt the EV6 has more rear leg room and more comfortable seating position as the back seats could recline more. The EV6 is halfway in-between a Model Y and Model 3. My wife really loves the EV6 and we are happy with the car. The one feature of the EV6 that I am truly jealous of when I drive my M3P is the cooled seats. I may trade up to the new M3P if it comes with cooled seats...

The Model Y has way more storage than the EV6 but I felt the EV6 has more rear leg room and more comfortable seating position as the back seats could recline more. The EV6 is halfway in-between a Model Y and Model 3. My wife really loves the EV6 and we are happy with the car. The one feature of the EV6 that I am truly jealous of when I drive my M3P is the cooled seats. I may trade up to the new M3P if it comes with cooled seats...
Also, the HUD in EV6. I wanted that but the USB is very bad. Android auto or Apple car play always disconnects

Also, the HUD in EV6. I wanted that but the USB is very bad. Android auto or Apple car play always disconnects

I don't have the USB issue. I even added a Carlinkit for Wireless Carplay and this works really well. You could tell some things aren't up to par like OTA updates and the phone app which is horrible. Also, I'm not a fan of the powertrain...it seems laggy compared to the Tesla unless you are in sport-mode which drains the battery unnecessarily.

I don't know how interior space is bigger. I feel Tesla Y is having more interior and storage space in this class of vehicles.
Seating space is bigger because the I5's center console doesn't extend the full length and the seats are more upright. Even the back seat seems bigger and that's probably due to the wheelbase pushing the wheels to the outer corners. The rear seats also slide back and forth (but not sure even at full extension, it's more than the Y because the Y backseats have a lot of room). I think it might just feel wider in the back to my kids.

Cargos space, the Y is way better. Not just the above trunk floor space but if you add in the below floor and the frunk... not even close.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2