Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an article... Not tooo bad

15 minutes slower than an AWD LR Y in the challenge but notes it gets worse at high speeds
Thanks – I have watch Bjørn's video, but was asking for experience from someone who has owned all three EVs themselves. Apart from anything, Bjørn operates in a part of Europe with a very high density of chargers. This allows him a strategy of very regular and short charge stops. While the density of chargers is improving in other parts of Europe, often his kind of strategy is still not feasible. So, one needs to charge deeper and drive further between stops. His chosen speeds are also not necessarily relevant for countries such as France or Germany, where the speed limits are higher. Last Sunday I crossed France at a steady 135 kph (83.5 mph), and have been up to 170-180 keeping with traffic on the German Autobahn.

Last edited:
How did you find efficiencies compared between the MY, Mach-E and Ioniq 5 at highway speeds of, say, 75–85 mph? For our use of our MY for long journeys I find this is a critical factor. The way I passed two Ioniq 5s on the French autoroute did make me wonder why they were going so slow...

Model Y is the most efficient but because the battery is only 82 kWh (?) gross - it has the exact same range as the Mach-E AWD Extended Range -> around 280 miles on the highway at 70-75mph. The Mach-E has a massive 99 kWh gross battery pack which compensates for the mediocre efficiency.

The Ioniq 5 definitely charges faster (I noticed this immediately) BUT the range is closer to 240 miles in the real world. I've driven all three on various trips and my 13-15 mile commute to work which is 80% highway on Orlando's i-4 around 65-70mph. The Ioniq 5 definitely has the worst range but the exact same efficiency as the Mach-E but the difference is 77 kWh usable for the Ioniq 5 and 91 kWh usable for the Mach-E.

At 75-85mph... I suspect sub-260 miles for the Y and MME and 220-230 for the Ioniq 5. The Ioniq 5 AWD is really a city car or short trip car.

I haven't owned anything but the Y.. but having sampled many EVs (just did an overnight test drive a 2023 MYP w/FSD last weekend) I feel the same way. Tesla does have the best overall EV "experience" because of the Supercharger network and smartphone app.. but it also has a lot of real-world cons. One of those was immediately noticeable as I got back in my 2021 Model Y with 19" wheels and noticed how much STIFFER the ride was versus the 2023 MYP with 21" Ultraturbines and skinny tires. My 2021 Y is also noisy as hell.. so many times I think I have a window & door cracked and even stop to check it out.. nope it's just poorly insulated.

I truly believe at this point if you want a Tesla.. get a Tesla.. price makes buying a 3/Y very competitive with the $7,500 tax credit back on the menu. But if you are open to other options you will not be disappointed. There are pros & cons to all of these midsize-tier EVs and a lot of it is stuff you will not notice until you actually drive one. Next up for me is renting a Rivian R1S for a 3 days weekend around this time next month. The plan is to take my wife + kids + Dad to the beach for Father's Day and there is no way all of us can fit into my Y for the 4-5 hour drive. Have also considered renting a Model X Plaid (about $120 per day on Turo).. and while I would probably never consider buying an X (just too expensive for what it is) the big Rivian SUV is EXACTLY the form factor I want to drive daily.. regardless of powertrain or manufacturer. Also can't wait to test drive an iX & i4.. as everybody seems to rave about them.
The Model X and Rivian R1S have the exact same problem - rough ride. The air suspension does not help soften the ride like it does on the BMW iX (which is like riding on clouds).

I re-test drove the X two weeks ago and the Rivian R1S (First Mile) about 4 weeks ago - so both are fresh in my mind.

The Lyriq has an Ioniq 5 like ride quality. Those two definitely have better ride quality than the Model X, R1S, R1T, Mach-E, Model Y. The air suspension of the BMW iX is a notch above everything I've mentioned. It also starts at $100K which is $40K more than the Lyriq and Ioniq 5.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
I wouldn't take the complaint at face value because the X suspension firmness is adjustable.

It is adjustable... but even the softest setting is pretty firm. My friend who owns an Audi e-tron (with air) shares the same opinion after his X test drive - he's a Tesla fanboy and wanted to love the X like he does the 3/Ys (cheap commuter cars).

Rivian EVs have the same harsh suspension problem even with the softest setting.

I haven't ridden in them, but I've heard that the R1T actually has better suspension than the R1S.
I test drove both. Couldn’t tell the difference but both were very firm and I tried various settings to soften it with the guide.

I like the size and practicality of the R1S so when mine arrives in a few months I will live with the suspension.

Reactions: jsight
Once I drain this down to 10%, I'll report back on what the actual DCFC charging time was to 80%.
I had some free time so I Ultracharged today, 28% to 92% in 30 minutes, 28% to 80% was 15 minutes.

Pretty good... also saw a VF-9 tester while I was charging:

1685487135816.png

I saw this video about brake light operation in EVs today and the guy talking happened to drive an Ioniq5 and he noted that in i-pedal mode, the brake light doesn't come on until the foot is completely lifted off the accelerator pedal. He found it to be absurd and once he realized it he stopped using i-pedal mode for safety reasons. I'm curious if any Ioniq5 owners have noticed that? It does seem pretty sketchy if true.