Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot Making other Drivers Angry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a video of a guy that got angry that my hands weren’t on the wheel when he saw me driving.
He came out and punched my window. Anyone else experiencing other drivers being angry while you are on autopilot?

I recommend you report him to the police and show them the video. I have never seen a report of that kind of behavior before.

And you should have at least one hand on the wheel at all times when using Auto Pilot. Not because of people like that guy, but because Tesla recommends it and it is the right thing to do.

Also, I do not recommend using Auto Pilot on roads with cross traffic. At this point it is not designed for that type of use.

I can't really hear what he says, but based on the driving, it looks more like he was mad because he wanted you to go faster, so went around you (and maybe in his mind to teach you a lesson, went slow in front of you too), but then you sped up to pass him and resume your speed again, which just annoyed him even more. But that's just what I got out of watching it.

He was driving like a maniac before too.
Please tell me you reported him.

I had other drivers flash and honk at me before with head shaking. I don't think they understand what is going on really.
To be clear i have a hand on the wheel but down low.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I can't really hear what he says, but based on the driving, it looks more like he was mad because he wanted you to go faster, so went around you (and maybe in his mind to teach you a lesson, went slow in front of you too), but then you sped up to pass him and resume your speed again, which just annoyed him even more. But that's just what I got out of watching it.
He was mad because he’s daughter got hospitalized by someone texting and driving.

I recommend you report him to the police and show them the video. I have never seen a report of that kind of behavior before.

And you should have at least one hand on the wheel at all times when using Auto Pilot. Not because of people like that guy, but because Tesla recommends it and it is the right thing to do.

Also, I do not recommend using Auto Pilot on roads with cross traffic. At this point it is not designed for that type of use.
My hands were on the wheel down low.

It doesn't make sense to put this on AP. There must be more to this story... as always. Also, I almost never see the hands of other drivers no matter what they drive, if they hold the wheel low.

Btw, not to excuse what that idiot did, but left lane hogging is very annoying.

Btw #2: in Texas, this is great way to get shot :p

Here’s a video of a guy that got angry that my hands weren’t on the wheel when he saw me driving.
He came out and punched my window. Anyone else experiencing other drivers being angry while you are on autopilot?

He's angry because you are parked in the fast lane, like you own the road...

If I were the cop that got this video, you would have gotten a moving violation ticket. Statute 316.081 also know as the MOVE OVER law - $151 plus court costs.

The 2019 Florida Statutes
600x3_gradient.gif

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter
316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or
(d) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3) On a road, street, or highway having two or more lanes allowing movement in the same direction, a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed. This subsection does not apply to drivers operating a vehicle that is overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or is preparing for a left turn at an intersection.
(4) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the centerline of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under paragraph (1)(b). However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.
(5) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 104, ch. 99-248; s. 11, ch. 2013-160; s. 5, ch. 2014-216.

Last edited:

If the police were going to do anything to anyone on this situation, it’s OP.

Has NOTHING to do with you being on AP.

At just after 37 seconds , after he passes you, to get into the fast lane that you are in :

You go into the right lane, speed WAY up , and then he perceives you to cut him off (and made him slow down or startled him) , as you go back into the fast lane after passing him.

He sees you make the orange light in front of him, (and that is what set him off , as it probably made him stop for the light or run the red light) , that he would have otherwise been able to go through, like you did with speeding way up and passing him.

• Informative
All I see is you being in the left lane. It would make me mad also.

There is huge difference between statues, and how things are actually enforced.

It's a two lane road with stop lights. There is no expectation that someone is going to get over to the right. How could there be when you have to get over to the left to take a left at a stop light?

Plus you can't be on in the right lane because people have to come to almost a stop to take a right turn.

There is also the case of timed lights. If it's timed situation that's designed to allow me to go through consecutive greens then I don't see much point in getting over.

Every day when I drive to work I go on a undivided 2 lane road with a speed limit of 45mph. It used to be that the right lane was avoided because it's really rough on suspension as it has randomly placed manholes that are quite a ways below the pavement. Then about half a year ago they started a frequent bus service with bus stops right on the road with barely any pull out so they mostly block the right lane.

On that road its simply not practical to try to get in the right lane.

I say this as someone who will always get over when it makes logical sense. In fact I would say I'm down right obsessive about. But, sometimes it makes zero sense to do so. I don't think cops care if it's on a road with frequent stop lights. On a freeway they do, but even there they know there are some situations where the right lane should be avoided. Like when there is a sudden hidden merge point that's really short. You have to assume a car is going to merge, and get over to the left lane to make room. The only people who don't know that are either inconsiderate people or people new to the area.

• Informative
The camera really needs to display some road data in text form. It looks like your car's speed was all over the place.

There absolutely should be.

The problem with videos like this is it's hard to to tell who is doing what.

To me it looks like the OP sped up as soon the other car got next to him. But, the OP says he was under AP so that wouldn't happen unless some forward obstruction got out of the way. Maybe this is when the initial verbal exchange happened, and the OP didn't want any part of it so he sped up. Most people try to avoid confrontation so it's understandable. I would too.

Then the other car passed the OP, and proceeded to brake after passing him. So the OP passed him like he was standing still, and then decided to be really evil by slowing down at the light to force the other car to brake for the red. I'd do this too.

This likely really pissed off the other driver. So that driver got out of his vehicle to confront the OP when he had a chance.

• Informative
Has NOTHING to do with you being on AP.

At just after 37 seconds , after he passes you, to get into the fast lane that you are in :

You go into the right lane, speed WAY up , and then he perceives you to cut him off (and made him slow down or startled him) , as you go back into the fast lane after passing him.

He sees you make the orange light in front of him, (and that is what set him off , as it probably made him stop for the light or run the red light) , that he would have otherwise been able to go through, like you did with speeding way up and passing him.

Did you not see the other vehicle brake after he passed the OP? The brake lights are on.