Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly that. Where standard autopilot lacks functionality versus other manufacturers is that it does not resume after a lane change, the system disables and needs re-enabling every single time you change lanes. In my old Land Rover, and I believe many other brands, indicating and steering into another lane was a smooth action and the lane keeping automatically resumed once you were in the next lane. No need to touch anything beyond the indicator and steering wheel. The ‘workload’ in a standard Tesla is a lot higher and the progress a lot less smooth with the constant disengaging and engaging. My 30 mile motorway commute is a lot less enjoyable, never mind a 12 hour journey as referenced.

I can imagine that things are better with EAP, hence the question of whether the poster had it.
Haven't used a ton of vehicles comparable to Autopilot, but did get a week for driving a Kia Nero end to know their solution isn't anywhere near as useful as Autopilot. Yes, it does let you switch lanes and stays on, but it's worse in the basic functionality. It doesn't handle turns as well and will just drift into the other lane (even oncoming traffic) with zero warning. I know there are a fair number of other manufacturers have similar issues tracking turns which are even marginally tight as well.

I'll take Autopilot and having to re-engage after lane changes every time.

Hmmm. Why isn’t the Rivian R1S in the discussion mix? Obviously larger vehicle, but if you’re comparing a car for kids/bikes/etc and similar price range, def worth considering too.

Because it's a year or more from release?

The EV market is changing way too much to comparing currently shipping cars to something which is a year plus from launch and is barely more than a bag of specs on paper at the moment.

Reactions: Dennisis
i wouldnt sell them that short but yeah the current lead time is about a year.. EV6 is not much better
Put it another way. The Model Y which will be shipping when the R1S is finally shipping won't be the one which is shipping today.

If Tesla's competitive position slides between then and now, they might increase range, lower prices, or both.

Put it another way. The Model Y which will be shipping when the R1S is finally shipping won't be the one which is shipping today.

If Tesla's competitive position slides between then and now, they might increase range, lower prices, or both.
R1S is in a different league. Whatever they do to the Model Y (which I suspect will be insignificant) it won’t be half what the R1S is.

Haven't used a ton of vehicles comparable to Autopilot, but did get a week for driving a Kia Nero end to know their solution isn't anywhere near as useful as Autopilot. Yes, it does let you switch lanes and stays on, but it's worse in the basic functionality. It doesn't handle turns as well and will just drift into the other lane (even oncoming traffic) with zero warning. I know there are a fair number of other manufacturers have similar issues tracking turns which are even marginally tight as well.

I'll take Autopilot and having to re-engage after lane changes every time.

Hmm. I’m surprised, any links to this? That Kia can’t crack what BMW and Land Rover can would surprise me greatly. (I quote those two as the manufacturers that I’ve used ACC/lane keep in extensively enough to form an opinion).

R1S is in a different league. Whatever they do to the Model Y (which I suspect will be insignificant) it won’t be half what the R1S is.
LOL

The league of "Yet to be shipped", comes with unobtanium wheels and infinite range! It's in the queue of other EVs delayed 18+ months right next to the Cybertruck.
Hmm. I’m surprised, any links to this? That Kia can’t crack what BMW and Land Rover can would surprise me greatly. (I quote those two as the manufacturers that I’ve used ACC/lane keep in extensively enough to form an opinion).

Links to actual experience behind the wheel?

I believe it's already out. I've seen a few around town, not dealer plates.
MY is a completely different class of vehicle. It's around $25,000 less and much smaller.

Well. On one year, has the MY changed significantly? Besides updates on “fart” sounds and removal of USS/sensors.
Hard to say. I haven’t driven one with the updated suspension. Also not sure when the laminated glass arrived.

Nothing huge. But there hasn’t exactly been a ton of competitive pressure either. As I said above, if the competition ramps up and demand starts to slack, we might well see changes. Right now they don’t have a ton of incentive to make big changes.

Rivian has lots of plans but its future is still uncertain at this point, burning through cash. If they’re still around in a couple of years I’ll be interested but that’s not a sure thing and I wouldn’t want to be stuck with one if they fail. More bad news just today with their Mercedes deal over before it got started, stock down 75% this year.

Rivian has lots of plans but its future is still uncertain at this point, burning through cash. If they’re still around in a couple of years I’ll be interested but that’s not a sure thing and I wouldn’t want to be stuck with one if they fail. More bad news just today with their Mercedes deal over before it got started, stock down 75% this year.
Stock market isn’t exactly a great barometer right now, to be fair. Tesla is down almost 60% YTD, that tends to happen in a recession.