Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new Macan EV a MY killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread must have been started by a Porsche fanboy wanting to stir the pot. MY owners wanted an SUV at the $45K to $53K max and evident by being the number one vehicle in the world, we are very happy.

The Macan is a $80K plus purchase up top with the Model X, Fisker, Lucid Gravity, Volvo XE90, Merc EQE, etc.
In this bracket, the Macan should be very competitive.
Please dont stir the pot. Enjoy your Macan.

Spot the Tesla fanboy!

not $30k better. maybe $10k better in some areas, and the rest of the cost is just the name you pay for it. Also, the average price of Macan will be at least the double the price of MYs.
I’m sure it will be $30k better. Porsche engineering and build quality is legit. You’re not “just” paying for the name, it’s the high level of product you’re getting for that name (I’m saying there’s legitimacy there, unlike, say…Alfa or Maserati these days, where you ARE mostly paying for the name). But of course like most things, you pay dearly for that last 10-20% improvement.

Porsche options are numerous and plentiful. I’m sure most of them will sticker more like $85k-$90k if not more. So…2x the average MY. And there’s no tax credit — aside from the manufacturing requirements, it starts at $80k, which is the upper limit for using the tax credit.

This is all very much on purpose. So no, the Macan is not a “Model Y killer.” Porsche doesn’t want it to be. They don’t play volume, they play premium/exclusive. In practice, I think it’s more likely to impact the Model S/X a bit…I would personally cross shop those the S and Macan if I was willing to spend $$ for a more premium experience than the Model Y.

Porsche never has been nor ever will be a price competitive volume selling automaker. They try to make the best built, best handling, best performing vehicles in each segment they play in, price be damned. The people that care about what Porsche is about (or people that want the badge) will pay the premium for it.

Despite some premium/luxury features and acceleration that tops many luxury performance cars, Tesla is not really a luxury automaker. The Model 3/Y are meant to compete with the mainstream players like Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc.

So no, the Macan EV won’t be and was never meant to be a “Model Y killer”.

I can see it maybe take some sales away from the S/X, especially the upcoming Audi Q6 e-tron platform mate to the Macan EV which should come in at a lower price.

Reactions: Skavatar
If Tesla could continue to improve cars instead of going in the wrong direction (no radar, no USS, yokes, no physical gear shift, no turn stalks, bumpy suspension, terrible service, etc.), then folks would stay loyal. Tesla is forcing people to look at other brands.

I still love Tesla's tech and overall UI but these other features are lacking.
When the ICE Macan was first announced, I priced one out. With the same options, it was $10K US more than a BMW. Maybe this is just a NA phenomenon.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
any supporting evidence?
Taycan does not get MORE range than a Model S, but they are massively underrated in the real world. A “200 mile” Taycan 4S got 323 miles on Edmunds’ range test. They are extremely similar in real world range to a Model S.

The Macan has a nearly 100kwh battery, so there’s every reason to believe it will have significantly more real world range than a Model Y.

It will compete against Model X and BMW iX and maybe Rivian R1S.

Tesla's X is its weakest product.
Maybe certain trims of the “fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down” iX but I see little to no cross shopping between the Macan and the behemoth three row X and R1S. They are really not comparable cars in any way other than being electric.

Taycan does not get MORE range than a Model S, but they are massively underrated in the real world. A “200 mile” Taycan 4S got 323 miles on Edmunds’ range test. They are extremely similar in real world range to a Model S.

The Macan has a nearly 100kwh battery, so there’s every reason to believe it will have significantly more real world range than a Model Y.
How on earth did they get 345 miles out of a Plaid with 21s? I can barely get 260 out of mine with 20s. My real world ranges just about match what the range app shows when on a trip (with the car configured for 21s)

Other than the price (20-30k), the new Macan EV seems to be better in almost every way. Any MY owners consider switching?
Great car to buy 2nd hand. In a couple years

Some of those Taycan "Turbos" are selling for 70k less than they were new. (175k -> 105k).

I guarantee that Macan will be nicer inside and have a quality feel, but you'll pay a premium for it.

The Macan EV is not a direct competitor to the Model Y, that being said, it is still badge engineered and very similar to other VAG products like the E-Tron S from Audi. Macans in previous generations are closely related to the Audi Q5/SQ and share many of the same components. The Macan "Turbo" EV is def going to be a good looking and fast crossover that is better built, with better materials and much more refined. It likely will be quicker than the Y performance but it also has a downside in that it doesn't use NACS as VW/Audi have yet to announce that and the range on it likely is worse.

Last edited:
I don’t think you understand how Porsche works. Nobody buys the base model. It doesn’t even have heated seats! Rather every single option is a la carte or they have a few packages to give you the standard model most other brands would have.
I am aware. But 100% the type who would buy a base model are the types who buy it for the badge. And a large chunk of those are going to be buying the SUVs/CUVs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
that being said, it is still badge engineered and very similar to other VAG products like the E-Tron S from Audi.
True enough it’s a common platform, but it’s actually the first vehicle on a brand new common platform (PPE) and doesn’t really share much at all with other VW/Audi EVs at the moment (there will of course be an Audi variant and many others in the future).

it doesn't use NACS as VW/Audi have yet to announce that
They indeed have announced it, coming in MY 2025.

and the range on it likely is worse.
Worse than what? A Model Y? No way. Out of Spec already did a range test on a pre-production model and got 320+ miles. It has a 100kwh battery.

Reactions: E90alex
True enough it’s a common platform, but it’s actually the first vehicle on a brand new common platform (PPE) and doesn’t really share much at all with other VW/Audi EVs at the moment (there will of course be an Audi variant and many others in the future).

They indeed have announced it, coming in MY 2025.

Worse than what? A Model Y? No way. Out of Spec already did a range test on a pre-production model and got 320+ miles. It has a 100kwh battery.

If that's the case with it being NCAS, I maybe back with VAG family on the next purchase of an EV. I've kind of grown up in the VAG family starting with multiple VWs before jumping into multiple Audis. Porsche would be the next step.

One of the few reasons I went with Tesla over previous generation VAG EVs were the charging network and more numerous modification ability from aftermarket support. For example the E-Tron S, I would love one, but the charging for it sucks, and the range on it terrible in comparison. This new generation of VAGs maybe different.

Great car to buy 2nd hand. In a couple years

Some of those Taycan "Turbos" are selling for 70k less than they were new. (175k -> 105k).

I guarantee that Macan will be nicer inside and have a quality feel, but you'll pay a premium for it.
Out of warranty Porsche…you must be very brave. I’ll never forget the first oil change I got for my 911…$275 (and this was 20 years ago when $275 was a lot of money). Maintenance and parts on those cars suck the money right out of your wallet.

Reactions: Clun9
Other than the price (20-30k), the new Macan EV seems to be better in almost every way. Any MY owners consider switching?
Trolling should be banned.

Porsche people will buy a Porsche and don't care about value - They only care about how good they look in their Porsche. To be fair, almost all present Cybertruck owners also fit this mold.

The reason the 2023 Tesla Model Y was the best-selling car of any kind in 2023 was because it had mass-market appeal to those that don't care about how they look and instead care about the money they save overall...even over a Toyota Corolla.