Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-PACE vs TM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that this price includes VAT, which is around 20%. In contrast in US you get prices displayed without any sales tax. Therefore if you want to compare it with TM3 with all options, which is now roughly 60k$ in US, the I-PACE would costs 73k$ and not 87k$. So it is not that far away at all. If you would like to add AWD to TM3 ( which Jaguar have at all configurations), you stands at 64k$ vs 73k$...

So the top of the line fully loaded 3 is still a fair bit lower than the base stripped down i-Pace, pretty much exactly like the Model S. Why not just buy an S?

I simply do not understand this comparison. The i-Pace isn't an SUV, it's barely a crossover. It's a raised hatchback/wagon...one that seems to have more in common with a Model S, than a 3-row SUV/CUV.

The i-Pace seems destined to appeal to people that want a commuter car with a nice interior. It's basically an electrified Honda Crosstour with a premium interior.
Aren't most vehicles sold as _UV's just raised hatchbacks/wagons? I've also seen them described as minivans with nose jobs, too.
You're buying style, seating height and cabin space without the minivan stigma, and, usually, without the off-road capability of a real _UV (though there are some exceptions to that).
I have no requirement for a real SUV, and no use for a fake one. I have been a station wagon fan for some time, though.
Robin

Reactions: jgs
Looks like Jag has a build your own configurator. Here is one I specd out:
Light interior with dark "suedecloth" ;) headliner: Build your NEW ALL-ELECTRIC JAGUAR I-PACE

They also have a brochure: https://www.jaguarusa.com/Images/X590_I-PACE_19MY_MB-US-EN_V3g_DX_tcm97-497681.pdf

I'm comparing to the Mod 3 cuz...its the latest and greatest EV and its pretty fancy. Mod S/X .. they are kinda dated now...just read the Mod 3 owner reviews comparing their Mod S/X interior to their Mod 3.

Also, it seems the Jag the following cool features:
  • "Active Key" wristband. Along with the smart key, keyless entry...apps, etc. Also works with Apple Watch.
  • HUD
  • Heated Steering wheel
  • Air and Active suspension
  • Powered hatch

Reactions: AlanSqB
There seems to be a lot of incorrect information in this thread.

One post said that the I-PACE lacked Over the Air updates, but I specifically remember seeing that it has this capability. Now sure you can't update it to give it FSD capability like Tesla CLAIMS the Model X can do. No, instead Jaguar sells it with a system that works today. It might not offer as much, but it does what it does. Adaptive Cruise control is enough for a lot of us as everything further than that never seems to work right. I say this as a AP1 owner.

There also seems to assumption that Tesla has leather seats. If you look at the Model X configurator Tesla doesn't mention Leather. They just mention Premium Seats without mentioning material.

To me the interior quality of the I-Pace along with the fit and finish is vastly superior to the Model X. Do we all need to be reminded that Tesla has a hard time with Interior materials?

The biggest problem with the I-PACE is all the unknowns regarding charging on road trips.

But, if you want a small cross-over Electric vehicle then the I-PACE is all there really is. The Model X is a little big, and there has been some serious quality issues with it as it's overly complicated. It's also not what I'd call a SUV that one can't take off-road so it's more like a large cross-over.

The Tesla Model Y won't be released for awhile.

I'm definitely going to look at the I-PACE, but the lack of a supercharging type network will likely keep me from getting it. Instead I'll likely go from the Model S 70D to the Model 3 LRD, and I'll live with the less than desirable UI/UX that it has. Some people say the I-PACE has too many knobs, but at least you know what each one does. With the Model 3 pretty much every single review is complaints about the UI/UX.

Personally I'm thankful for the competition and the options. Having to pay nearly 100K for 170-180 miles (in actual real range from point A to Point B) was a bit maddening.

Aren't most vehicles sold as _UV's just raised hatchbacks/wagons? I've also seen them described as minivans with nose jobs, too.
You're buying style, seating height and cabin space without the minivan stigma, and, usually, without the off-road capability of a real _UV (though there are some exceptions to that).
I have no requirement for a real SUV, and no use for a fake one. I have been a station wagon fan for some time, though.
Robin

The _UV classification is too broad if it's being used to compare the i-Pace to the Model X. If people are going to try to draw legitimate comparisons between vehicles there come a point where you have to use common sense. The Model X isn't directly comparable to the i-Pace in the same way a Yukon Denali isn't comparable to a Honda Crosstour.

Reactions: 03DSG
These are a bit relevant here as well - posted them in the i-Pace thread. This is the current pricing in Norway, when you add all the things to the i-Pace that are standard on the S/X. And then I try to highlight the differences.

I see the i-Pace as either a Model X competitor or a Model S competitor, depending on whether you add the tow hitch or not. The Model 3 isn't really in the same size category.

View attachment 284083

View attachment 284084

Actually, the iPace is more similar to the Model 3 in size than the Model X, I think it just looks bigger because of all the cladding and loud design accents. Given the similarities in size, the M3 AWD LR at ~$49,000 base price looks like a bargain over the iPace at ~$72,000.

........................Model 3 .............iPace ................Model X
Length...............185 ....................184...................198
Width..................76 .......................79 ....................82
Passengers..........5 .........................5 ..................... 7
Cargo..................15 .......................23 .....................68
Head room f/r ....40/38 .................40/38 ...............42/41/31
Leg room f/r.......43/35 .................41/35 ...............41/38/33

Actually, the iPace is more similar to the Model 3 in size than the Model X, I think it just looks bigger because of all the cladding and loud design accents. Given the similarities in size, the M3 AWD LR at ~$49,000 base price looks like a bargain over the iPace at ~$72,000.

........................Model 3 .............iPace ................Model X
Length...............185 ....................184...................198
Width..................76 .......................79 ....................82
Passengers..........5 .........................5 ..................... 7
Cargo..................15 .......................23 .....................68
Head room f/r ....40/38 .................40/38 ...............42/41/31
Leg room f/r.......43/35 .................41/35 ...............41/38/33

The iPace also is not price competitive with comparable ICE CUVs. It is designed to be a niche vehicle to avoid taking sales from Tata’s Range Rover and Jaguar brands.

Unless there is a substantial price cut and fast-charging network sales will likely will be very small.

This is one of the nicer EV designs out there IMO but EV sales from Jaguar/Land Rover and the other legacy car companies will be disappointing until they make the investments in batteries, EV drivetrains and charging networks necessary to manufacture and support a large fleet of competitively priced, high quality EVs.

The iPace also is not price competitive with comparable ICE CUVs. It is designed to be a niche vehicle to avoid taking sales from Tata’s Range Rover and Jaguar brands.

Unless there is a substantial price cut and fast-charging network sales will likely will be very small.

This is one of the nicer EV designs out there IMO but EV sales from Jaguar/Land Rover and the other legacy car companies will be disappointing until they make the investments in batteries, EV drivetrains and charging networks necessary to manufacture and support a large fleet of competitively priced, high quality EVs.

In terms of real cost I wonder what the supercharger network is worth per vehicle. We're starting to see competitors to Tesla, but we can't seriously consider them because they don't come with this.

I basically came to the same conclusion that despite being a nicer overall vehicle (quality, fit/finish, interior materials, etc) the I-PACE is not really competitive to what Tesla has to offer largely because of the lack of a substantial Charging Network. Maybe it will be more competitive in markets with better public charging, and in markets that are more quickly adopting electric vehicles. I imagine it might sell well in China.

When I purchase my next EV I'll have a map of the charging network that each vehicle can charge at where the map only includes charging sites that have more than 4 stalls along with a charge capability of 100KW or greater.

But, I wonder how many first time EV owners will do this. I'm doing this because I enjoy the freedom that my Model S gives me, and I don't want to give it up. I honestly didn't even road trip much before the Tesla, and I probably would have missed out on the experience had the I-PACE come first. It's also not just road trips, but it's unexpected journeys as well. With the 240 mile range without a network you have to chop that in half. So your real world radius is around 100 miles. That might be fine for 95% of the time, but that last 5% is a killer.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV-lutioin