Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-PACE vs TM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the autopilot in fact work decently. Don't know much about the features in Jag "steering assist" yet.

But I would say this is not a direct competitor to any of the Teslae, it is a different class of car. It could be against an Y if it existed.
Though, if one is getting a long range BEV, one now has 4 choices, all with different benefits according to their class.
In Norway I would guess some S and X buyers would prefer the Jag, as the Teslae might not be a perfect fit.

Glad to see another alternative to Tesla. Can't wait to see the Mission E. Since I'm still waiting for my invite... and the AWD... all my options are still open. Also...the Jag/Porsche with the full tax credit will be compelling vs a Tesla w/o the full tax credit.

Regarding FSD and EAP.... I'd rather have a very reliable adaptive cruise control vs vaporware or a wonky...just wait for the next SW update system.

Any thoughts? It seems like the Jaguar I-PACE is really nice car. Will cost around the same as fully speced TM3. Has a little less range, but is more roomy , has basically the same acceleration. Also has normal dash and knobs you know :) Only thing that keeps me from taking it as a serious competitor to TM3 is the absence of Supercharger network. What is your thoughts guys?
Edit : Also the interior materials looks much better than TM3 or even S or X
What is jaguar s experience with building electric cars? 0

It's gonna take several iterations to get it right.

The price of the Jag is much higher that predicted when it was announced. This is typical as manufacturers always tend to hype their upcoming cars to keep people from buying a competitor before it is available for sale.

Porsch is also guilty of this. Lots of pretty concept pictures, tremendous specifications and high hopes for perfection. Then the first generation is released to great dissapointment.

Tesla is a bit of the opposite. They usually exceed their initial predictions as they get closer to production. The Tesla truck is a good example, as is the New Roadster.

When I pre ordered my Tesla Model X it was supposed to be a 70Kw battery, but was a 75 when released. It was supposed to have a small trailer hitch for bicycles and such, but ended up coming with a full sized hitch with wiring and rated at 5,000 lbs.

Do not think the Jag will be able to compete with the Tesla in the American market. Maybe in Europe, depending on Taxes.

Reactions: 1 person

Drag Times put the Model 3 on the meter and did 4.6sec 0-60. So the Ipace is .1 of a sec faster then the model 3 LR, but the model 3 DLR or RLD with dual motor will be faster and will have almost 100 more miles of range for a car that is almost identical in size. (1" longer and wider while being 5" shorter vs the SUV being higher off the ground)

Keep in mind that this price includes VAT, which is around 20%. In contrast in US you get prices displayed without any sales tax. Therefore if you want to compare it with TM3 with all options, which is now roughly 60k$ in US, the I-PACE would costs 73k$ and not 87k$. So it is not that far away at all. If you would like to add AWD to TM3 ( which Jaguar have at all configurations), you stands at 64k$ vs 73k$...

Does the I-Pace have an AP equivalent? If not, we shouldn't be incuding the cost of it in the comparison.

I am thinking of as an alternative, the Hyundai Kona EV. Very nice looking mini SUV...and has a HUD :) . It is speculated to be available in the USA sometime next year. If the Model 3 SR model is delayed any longer, then I may look deeper into the Kona.

The Kona looks pretty good... Although performance wise, it is not in the same universe as the Model 3 or I-Pace.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Without superchargers, Tesla is still King!!! There are and will be some absolutely fantastic EV's, but without Tesla's fast supercharger network, it's makes the cars useless for travel. My $0.02 If you only want the car for local use, go for it.

Reactions: Shygar
Without superchargers, Tesla is still King!!! There are and will be some absolutely fantastic EV's, but without Tesla's fast supercharger network, it's makes the cars useless for travel. My $0.02 If you only want the car for local use, go for it.
If long distance travel is part of your mission, then you're right. If it isn't (because you don't use a car that way, or own another ICE car that handles travel well, or can rent one) then not so much.
Robin

Reactions: C141medic
The Jaguar sems more of an X-fighter than a Model 3 competitor. It will definitely appeal to those who need/want more room than a hatchback or sedan, have good access to its preferred charging networks and want a nicer place to sit while they travel.
Robin

I simply do not understand this comparison. The i-Pace isn't an SUV, it's barely a crossover. It's a raised hatchback/wagon...one that seems to have more in common with a Model S, than a 3-row SUV/CUV.

The i-Pace seems destined to appeal to people that want a commuter car with a nice interior. It's basically an electrified Honda Crosstour with a premium interior.

Reactions: bhzmark and skitown
In most countires there are no superchargers, and, for example, Model 3 charges at same rate as ChaDeMo, anyways, on average.

Yeah... but read the last post in the thread you linked to. Many have seen nearly 120kW charging when the car is under 50% SOC. Also, in the US, ChaDeMo is not viable for long trips, even if it could match Supercharging rates. It can't be found at convenient locations for long journeys.

27629019_10155939488206217_248418105746556795_o.jpg

Does the I-Pace have an AP equivalent? If not, we shouldn't be incuding the cost of it in the comparison.
They call it Adaptive Cruise control with steering assist. I saw 2 cameras in the windshield. Guess a MobilEye system, but have not found anything on the capabilities of the system.

Very interested in this feature though, which is wanting on my S.
"
ACOUSTIC LAMINATED GLASS
I‑PACE offers a refined, quiet drive. To maintain the calm interior, I‑PACE features acoustic laminated glass on the front windows and windscreen, reducing noise entering the cabin from outside."

I am thinking of as an alternative, the Hyundai Kona EV. Very nice looking mini SUV...and has a HUD :) . It is speculated to be available in the USA sometime next year. If the Model 3 SR model is delayed any longer, then I may look deeper into the Kona.

Mini-SUV is the new name for a hatchback. The Kona is 2.5 inches longer than a Honda Fit. It pretty much looks identical to the Bolt, except with a higher price longer range version.

Reactions: kbM3