Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of car sales, ipace included, depend on the growing tariff situation. Trade wars mean lower sales and higher prices for everyone. If Jaguar comes back and says that the price has gone up 20%, I'm not getting an ipace. I'll probably buy a used hybrid Cayenne at that point.

There are a whole bunch of ipace vehicles being tested right now in irvine ca on jamboree and michaelson. They seem to be going in a loop all day long. Saw it once in the morning and again after work. The car looks impressive in person. Love the sharp angular lines which is a stark contrast to the smooth curves of the tesla. I love both. May need to get a new cat in the house for the lady.

There are a whole bunch of ipace vehicles being tested right now in irvine ca on jamboree and michaelson. They seem to be going in a loop all day long. Saw it once in the morning and again after work. The car looks impressive in person. Love the sharp angular lines which is a stark contrast to the smooth curves of the tesla. I love both. May need to get a new cat in the house for the lady.

Nice tip, tdub, thanks! I agree, it does look nice, as do the Models 3 and S in a different way.

They were back out there this morning. Yes, it looked like they were just showing off. Four in a row, following another Jaguar.

Ipace prototype.jpg
Ipace motorcade.jpg

The local Jaguar representative in Zürich (Emil Frey AG) is currently presenting the i-Pace. Customers have been invited to view the car and to make appointments for test drives. I had a good (second) superficial look at it today. Local workshop staff (mechanics) are currently being trained to be able to service all systems. A very complete 52-page information brochure, very nicely made, including a current pricing leaflet, was available. Jaguar seems to be well aware that not all of their customers are domiciled in the Internet. The three versions on offer are S, SE and HSE. Prices range from CHFR 82'800.- to 107'700.- (1USD = 0.99 CHFR). These prices include local taxes. Local dealers have room to negotiate and work with trade-in offers.
Personal impressions:
- The car is well appointed, if you were a Jaguar-driver you would feel at home. The price range fits in their model range.
- Battery 90kWh with 8 year, 70%-guarantee.
- Good aerodynamics for a car that shape: cw=0.29
- WLTP range 480 Km (300 m), WLTP consumption 21.2 kWh/100Km (339 Wh/m).
- Single phase AC charging up to 7kW (on board, 32A), DC up to 100kW is mentioned (I think it is CCS). No mention of 3-phase AC charging.
- Head room and seating are comfortable as you would expect from a car in that class. The seats hold you well in place.
- Jaguar has clearly made a huge effort to produce an advanced vehicle, richly endowed also with electronic wizardry.
- With a width of 2m (78.8"), w/o mirrors, the car belongs clearly into the very large SUV-class. This reduces its usefulness locally as parking cars that size is too often difficult. To negotiate smaller villages and towns in particular in Italy, France and Spain is at least unpleasant. This of course also holds for the current Tesla S and X and defines possible market size just as much as it being electrical.

Jaguar has to be complimented for their nice head-start in that segment between the X and the German large SUVs. They will likely sell what they can produce.

- Alfred

- With a width of 2m (78.8"), w/o mirrors, the car belongs clearly into the very large SUV-class. This reduces its usefulness locally as parking cars that size is too often difficult. To negotiate smaller villages and towns in particular in Italy, France and Spain is at least unpleasant. This of course also holds for the current Tesla S and X and defines possible market size just as much as it being electrical.

Thanks for the comments, Alfred. I, too, wish it were narrower, though roads around here will accommodate it.

But I don't think it's as wide as you were told - the Jaguar brochure I have shows only 74.6" without mirrors - see page 48 here"
https://www.jaguarusa.com/Images/Jaguar-I-PACE-Brochure-1X5901910000BUSEN02P_tcm97-497681.pdf
The online owners' manual shows the same measurement, 1.895m.

So, I-Pace is the same length and width as the Model 3, actually just a bit smaller than Model 3 in both dimensions. Not in the same size class as the Model X at all - that thing is enormous!

Thanks for the comments, Alfred. I, too, wish it were narrower, though roads around here will accommodate it.

But I don't think it's as wide as you were told - the Jaguar brochure I have shows only 74.6" without mirrors - see page 48 here"
https://www.jaguarusa.com/Images/Jaguar-I-PACE-Brochure-1X5901910000BUSEN02P_tcm97-497681.pdf

So, I-Pace is the same length and width as the Model 3, actually just a bit smaller than Model 3 in both dimensions. Not in the same size class as the Model X at all - that thing is enormous!

Well - not according to their brochure I have:
IMG_2105.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: J1mbo

The original size was 1890 but I believe it was widened to 2140. Having followed the i-Pace since the prototype I did notice that it had increased in width. Somewhere in this thread I have mentioned it.

When viewing it I should have brough a tape measure along with me eh.

A couple of my posts in this thread on the matter
Jaguar I-Pace
Jaguar I-Pace

The original size was 1890 but I believe it was widened to 2140. Having followed the i-Pace since the prototype I did notice that it had increased in width. Somewhere in this thread I have mentioned it.

When viewing it I should have brough a tape measure along with me eh.
A couple of my posts in this thread on the matter
I verified that also against their English Language website and there the same figures are listed, i.e. 2011mm wide: Jaguar I-PACE | Electric Car Specifications | Jaguar
- Alfred

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
So it seems Jaguar didn't want to be narrower than the Model S. Even so, by American standards, the IPace is far smaller overall than a large SUV.

I see the width of the S/X as one of those cars most premium features. Looking at the Model S from the back it is clearly a high end car. That said, I would not want to drive any of these cars in Rome. But I would not have a problem with the width driving in Northern Europe or the U.K. Although perhaps if I lived in a medieval town I would find the day-to-day use of a wide car unattractive.

alp_4709.jpg

British AutoExpress in a chauvinist mood as if it wants to compensate for the rumors that Jaguar intends to leave the UK when Brexit takes effect.
"We meant it when we said it: the Jaguar I-Pace is the best electric car on sale today. Its blend of abilities is unmatched in the premium SUV class; the silent, sharp dynamics, beautifully built cabin and rock bottom running costs are just a small part of the car’s unrivalled appeal. The future is here, and it’s very exciting indeed."

New Jaguar I-Pace 2018 review

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
Jaguar I-Pace is the best electric car on sale today

I struggle with the "Car of the year" type accolades based on incomplete data. Maybe I've missed the reports? but seems like we don't yet know real world range; wH/mile at various speed, temperatures and wind speed; nor taper when on rapid charge, and of course we don't know if it will have significant degradation - no reason why it should, plenty of good stuff built in ... but you'd think the Leaf would be fully sorted in that regard by now ... yet they seem to have made a mess with #RapidGate and battery management still poor.

I suppose I'm sounding like a late-adopter, when I'm not at all, but wouldn't proper journalism want to have those boxes ticked, before making such pronouncements?

Reactions: S'toon
I struggle with the "Car of the year" type accolades based on incomplete data. Maybe I've missed the reports? but seems like we don't yet know real world range; wH/mile at various speed, temperatures and wind speed; nor taper when on rapid charge, and of course we don't know if it will have significant degradation - no reason why it should, plenty of good stuff built in ... but you'd think the Leaf would be fully sorted in that regard by now ... yet they seem to have made a mess with #RapidGate and battery management still poor.

I suppose I'm sounding like a late-adopter, when I'm not at all, but wouldn't proper journalism want to have those boxes ticked, before making such pronouncements?

I agree, the current state of automotive journalism and awards pumping when it comes to EVs is pitiful. Its almost like they have no idea what they are doing. I think each author needs to state whether they've owned an EV. Quite a few have never actually lived with an EV for weeks or months.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
They're not long term reviews. They're short-term, and that's pretty clear. Gotta wait for Edmunds. I also really don't understand why people take EVs on long trips. It's just not the use case. That's like buying a 3500 diesel dualie when you live in a dense city, have no assigned parking, and drive around town for light shopping only.
People take Teslas on road trips. I run up and down California and have already put 9500 miles on my Model 3. The long range combined with AutoPilot makes for a relaxing 340 mile drive in less than 6 hours. One 20 min stop, for an espresso in the Tesla Supercharger 40-stall plaza and I'm back on the road. Cost is $8.50 (espresso extra).
It will be awhile before Jag can offer an EV that can be your only car. Tesla is already there.

• Love
Reactions: Carl
They're short-term, and that's pretty clear.

Well that's fair enough (I'm not expecting battery degradation until someone has actually done 100,000 miles :cool:) but a journalist should have been prepared to find a rapid charger and see how that went, and a report of the wH/mile at 50, 60, 70 ... would have been something. Don't think even Fully Charged did that :(

I also really don't understand why people take EVs on long trips. It's just not the use case.

And I don't know why they wouldn't. Sure, across USA would be tedious for the stopping ... but presumable Americans don't do that regularly - compared to needing "a few extra miles range" in the day. My real world range is 220 miles. I do 27,000 miles a year and of those one or two days a month are between 200 and 300 miles (in a day). Given 300 is (in my case) about the max I would need to do that's say 12-15 minutes top-up charging, so my average is somewhat less than that, often 5 minutes is plenty to get-me-home. Even if it was 30 minutes (which would be 150 miles extra) I would do emails that I would otherwise have to do when i got home, so its just time-shift, and if I am driving 220 + 150 miles in the day I'm happy to have a break. In the Fossil days I would have pressed on ... and arrived knackered. Now I arrive fresh as a daisy :)

Yeah, family and young kids on a road trip is something different. But a business guy visiting clients, or even staying with friends / family for the weekend, once a month - not that uncommon I would think?

But I agree many/most people won't be doing long haul and wasn't really thinking that Journalists should report figures for that, I was thinking more in terms of "most everybody will rapid charge at some point, even if they normally just drive around town, and it would be good to know how it performs" otherwise we've only got the manufacturers word for it, and if that is all we need we don't need the journalists at all!