Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Jag press release - an I-Pace drives 229 miles from London to Brussels, using 92% of the battery pack's charge.
https://media.jaguar.com/news/2018/...h-channel-tunnel-cross-continent-i-pace-drive

And that's drove all the way - they drove through the Chunnel's service tunnel.

Two minute video:

For me, the two key stats were:
258 mile total range implied at 70% SoC (based on 292km remaining) (blink and you'll miss it display @ 1:18)
249 mile total range implied at 92% SoC (based on 229 miles driven).

We know this is pure marketing as Jaguar did not disclose how much of the driving was at highway speed.

Reactions: techmaven
We know this is pure marketing as Jaguar did not disclose how much of the driving was at highway speed.
Sorry, I'm on full-on OCD puzzle mode:
It looks like 180 - 183 highway miles, plus 40 miles of Chunnel, plus 6 to 9 of bits and bobs.

Dull details:
The satnav shows the start point, and the graphics show the route. So some Googling gets:
6.3 miles in London
19.9 miles of dual carriageway (~ = state highway) A2
41.2 miles of motorway (~= interstate) M2 and M20
39.8 miles of actual Chunnel, incl. entry/exit complexes
196km (121.5mi) of French and Belgian Autoroute, on Euroroute 20
~5km ( 3.5 mi) of urban dual carriageway - I'm assuming they head down the R10

I tried to work out the actual end-point using Streetview, but didn't spot it.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
258 mile total range implied at 70% SoC (based on 292km remaining) (blink and you'll miss it display @ 1:18)
249 mile total range implied at 92% SoC (based on 229 miles driven).

I'm on full-on OCD puzzle mode

This is where I got to on OCD :)

0:39 Battery pre-conditioned
0:40 ECO set

I'd also do pre-condition and Range Mode for a max-range journey :)

i-Pace usable battery 84 kWh

Google Maps London to Tunnel 106km / 66 miles, range drops from 100% to 70% - I make that 380 Wh/mile

ABRP predicts the same 70% arrival for an MS 90 battery, so seems reasonable.

Drive through tunnel 50.5 km / 31 miles. Not sure you'd even be able to get up to 20 MPH in there ... so say 6 kWh

Google Maps Tunnel to Brussels 203 km / 126 miles - assume 63% - 8% - I make that 367 Wh/mile

ABRP predicts 63% to 5% for an MS 90 battery, i-Pace arrived at 8%. I'll eat my hat if they didn't hit Traffic and some Roadworks somewhere on that route, which would have saved a bit of range and could easily account for the saving of 3% - actually almost certainly saving would be greater (i.e. my real world journey delays compared to ABRP "clear road" prediction)

My total is 6 miles short. Some of that will be the "Chunnel, entry/exit complexes",a nd I just picked "London" and "Brussels" for Gogole maps so some wiggle at end end

So on that basis the i-Pace 90 has similar range to the MS 90. i-Pace has less weight, slightly worse CD, more modern/efficient motors

Previous i-Pace range tests have been poor; Has there been an announcement from Jaguar that they have improved Range via Firmware update? Or should I go with conspiracy theory that they drove at a leisurely speed? ...

Previous i-Pace range tests have been poor; Has there been an announcement from Jaguar that they have improved Range via Firmware update? Or should I go with conspiracy theory that they drove at a leisurely speed? ...

My thinking currently is a bit of improvement from production-release firmware, plus a bigger difference between Jag's Eco mode and its "drive like it a Jag" mode.

Coches.net were not in Eco. Chunnel Challenge was in Eco.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My thinking currently is a bit of improvement from production-release firmware, plus a bigger difference between Jag's Eco mode and its "drive like it a Jag" mode.

Coches.net were not in Eco. Chunnel Challenge was in Eco.

I don't know anything about the Ipace, but I was trying to talk my neighbor into a Model S and she ended up getting an I-Pace. Dealer telling her February 2019 delivery.

I think it is the size of MS that makes people look for alternatives. Which is funny because Jaguar marketing tries to compare it to MX while the car is of the size of M3.

As many said before I-pace will find itself competing with Model 3 once it arrives.

Reactions: Driver Dave
Two minute video:

249 mile total range implied at 8% SoC [92% SOC used] (based on 229 miles driven).

One I hadn't spotted earlier:
277 mile total range implied at 40% SoC (based on 169km remaining) (blink and you'll miss it display @ 1:18)

Eco + Smart Climate seem to make a big difference

p.s. Found the end point - it's in the Press release - it's Mon des Arts.
So it's Sumner St to Mon Des Arts, and Google shows the same route for that as I had found. The highway miles are unchanged, afaict

Eco + Smart Climate seem to make a big difference

AFAIK ABRP would not be considering Range Mode in any simulation, so that might be a difference, and interesting point that ECO might make the difference between Coches.net test and Chunnel test; makes sense.

Range Mode of dubious benefit on Tesla except P-Model I think? I always use it on range-critical journeys, but without giving any thought to whether it makes enough difference to be needed and whether I'm suffering e.g. cold-feet as a consequence.

My in-range journeys are different consumption to range-critical ones. I don't drive-like-a-granny on range-critical, but I tend to be on highway on cruise-control so optimal driving; whereas on the short-journey country lanes I might "push on a bit".

I don't see any problem in having a "Normal" and "Range critical" setting. On Tesla you can charge to 100% and use Range Mode.

On a car with no adjustable battery-charge percentage presumably you have a conservative top-buffer so lose the ability to be able to grab another 11% of range (compared to daily 90% charging)

Also lose the ability to charge to 50% when car parked up for long periods ...

But I also think that being able to fiddle with percentage makes it geeky.

Perhaps "Parked up for long time" (50%), "daily" (90%), "Trip" (100%) settings are all that are required.

I think it is the size of MS that makes people look for alternatives. Which is funny because Jaguar marketing tries to compare it to MX while the car is of the size of M3.

As many said before I-pace will find itself competing with Model 3 once it arrives.

The wheelbase of the I-Pace is longer than the S or X.

The wheelbase of the 3 is a foot shorter than the S or the X.

Extra length is not necessarily the same as usefully bigger.
220px-1973_Chevrolet_Caprice.jpg

Dan Neil's review:
2019 Jaguar I-Pace: An Electric SUV Hot on Tesla’s Heels

Not perfect—the lagging touch screen in my test car made me want to drive it off one of Monterey Peninsula’s scenic cliffs—but still, pretty great.

JLR’s jump on electrification has bought it a competitive advantage of roughly 18 months over every premium car maker that isn’t Tesla.

Listen up, consumers: A lot of armchair quarterbacks have assumed that, whenever original equipment manufacturers pulled the trigger, their resources would allow them to overtake Tesla’s intellectual property quickly. But with more players to compare, it’s becoming obvious that Tesla’s advantage in powertrain tech won’t be so easily commodified or wished away.
For example: The new I-Pace matches the Tesla Model X 75D in range (around 240 miles) but it requires a 20% larger battery to do so. The Model X is also 14 inches longer and 400 pounds heavier, so a whole class above in size.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy