Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June 20th Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know for sure that on the inside installations aren't capable of much more than 120 kW already?

We know there are cables from charging port directly into battery. They could easily use same cables that run from battery to PEM and carry over 300kW / 1000A already.
Weight, flexibility and safety are not a problem in there, they are a problem on the outside where people need to hold and manipulate those cables.

The only question remaining is if charging port is capable of accepting 600A without overheating.

The cables from charging port do not go directly to the battery. There is some sort of switching device involved to route current to the battery when car is connected to DC, and to the on-board charger when car is connected to AC

Cables from battery to the Inverter are sized to carry 300kW only for short periods of time, most likely seconds (0 to 60 time for P85 is 4.2Sec). The average (continuous) current draw depends on how one drives. Assuming energy consumption of 500Wh/mile and 2x margin will yield 1kWh/mile. At an average speed of 80mph the energy consumed over one hour would be 80 kWh; the corresponding power would be 80kW, not 300kW. This is really conservative number, as at this rate the battery would be exhausted in about one hour. If one assumes full 300kW, the battery would be discharged in 17 minutes.

The sizing of the cables involves both current and time - cables sized to carry 300kW for one minute will be smaller that cables sized to carry 120kW for 30 minutes.

There are a lot of assumptions in your post that are not accurate.

Last edited:
Someone in the LA area needs to drive over to Hawthorne and scope the place out as we approach the 20th.

We need intel. Video is ideal, still photos if necessary. What's going on in the SuperCharger site? What does it look like today? What about on the 18th? 19th? Morning of the 20th? Do they rope it off at some point?

It would be revealing if they've modified the SuperCharger station in Hawthorne. Should b obvious if we get some intel.

I went to check it out last night. Had never been there before, but it looks the same as in old pictures and there didn't seem to be any construction or any indications of imminent work commencing. The Superchargers look the same as the others I've been to. Based on that, I'm thinking it might be mobile swapping (if it is swapping).

I went to check it out last night. Had never been there before, but it looks the same as in old pictures and there didn't seem to be any construction or any indications of imminent work commencing. The Superchargers look the same as the others I've been to. Based on that, I'm thinking it might be mobile swapping (if it is swapping).

Thanks MikeC for checking.

Could anybody who received the email perhaps attach the whole email to the thread? Or better, a screenshot of the email?

Thanks!

here you go:

screenclip4t.png

It looks like the meeting is going to be in the design studio in Hawthorne and NOT at the supercharger station. Now that someone posted the entire invitation.

This thread and the others with the same topic just prove that even when people are slapped in the face with the truth they still believe what they want. Two charge ports? Extra battery in the frunk? Battery swapping is impossible? Hilarious.

This thread and the others with the same topic just prove that even when people are slapped in the face with the truth they still believe what they want. Two charge ports? Extra battery in the frunk? Battery swapping is impossible? Hilarious.

It's because some (most?) people think it's a bad idea and clinging to any hope that it isn't so.

But speaking of truths - account for "under your nose" and "throughout the country" in the context of battery swapping? It's not quite a "slap in the face with the truth".

It's because some (most?) people think it's a bad idea and clinging to any hope that it isn't so.

But speaking of truths - account for "under your nose" and "throughout the country" in the context of battery swapping? It's not quite a "slap in the face with the truth".

I'm in the camp of it's definitely a battery swap (anything who thinks otherwise right now is insane) and I also don't like it if it is as I imagine. Now, I'm not very imaginative so I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised. I'm holding my TSLA regardless.

It just seems like any major battery swap infrastructure creates a whole lot of new risk for a company that has plenty of risk. And just showing it off to show it off as potential but not a product seems ridiculous.

Tesla knows what they're doing here so I'm going blindly have faith. But the real discussion should now be:

Why battery swapping? How will it be deployed? Is there another reason they're doing this we haven't thought of? How does this effect Tesla in China - a place considering battery swapping as the EV standard?

I'm in the camp of it's definitely a battery swap (anything who thinks otherwise right now is insane) and I also don't like it if it is as I imagine. Now, I'm not very imaginative so I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised. I'm holding my TSLA regardless.

It just seems like any major battery swap infrastructure creates a whole lot of new risk for a company that has plenty of risk. And just showing it off to show it off as potential but not a product seems ridiculous.

Tesla knows what they're doing here so I'm going blindly have faith. But the real discussion should now be:

Why battery swapping? How will it be deployed? Is there another reason they're doing this we haven't thought of? How does this effect Tesla in China - a place considering battery swapping as the EV standard?

Ditto. I've given up on hoping for superfast charging. I'm still hanging on to Al-air a bit "it's still swapping!", but I'm resigned to the fact that it's most likely big-pack swapping.

The how is better discussed on Citizen-T's "how" thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...is-Coming-Discuss-how-it-will-be-accomplished

As far as surprises are concerned, I think TMC has generally been more creative than Tesla up to date. Or let's just say, we're less constrained by logic (and finances)...

TMC 2nd: Lease!
Tesla 2nd: Almost a lease.
Tesla 2nd (corrected): Meant to say ...

TMC 3rd: Free service!
Tesla 3rd: Paid for, but optional service.

TMC 4th: 20 new SuperCharger locations immediately!
Tesla 4th: No new ones yet, but updated the web site.

TMC 5th: Battery swapping at every supercharger location! Grid storage when batteries are not in use.
Tesla 5th: ...

Last edited:
After reading a lot of post and article looks like battery swapping is out of a window (from my observation) and fast charging looks real (easy to demonstrate & so does battery swapping)

I prefer battery swapping because if you are going for a long trip (do a couple of times a year) you can swap 500 miles battery (great for Gen 3) and return after a trip. If tesla provides such an option for free or minimal charges per swap, it will be great for model three customers.

Doesn't the image name, the SEC filing and the recently upgraded super charging sort of provide the only rational evidence? I think at this point if you're still developing other theories that are not related to swapping, you're crazy. Or insane. Or mad. etc.
I've got one more piece of evidence that sealed the deal for me. I'll share it soon. Just need to confirm first when Elon Musk said he needed to keep a couple cards in his best when recently asked about the 5th announcement. Anyone remember when that was?