Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just how inferior is the 3 vs S/X ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner's, please weigh in here....

I just listened to Ben Sullins latest YouTube video where he discusses his impression of the Model 3 that Turo lent him (for free) to drive from LA to Las Vegas. While he said he "loved" the car, his other comments were a bit off-putting to me as a prospective Model 3 buyer and I thought I'd share the transcript (if you didn't watch it) to get other owner's opinions....do you agree with him or not....

“I will say it's not nearly as

comfortable and as its kind of luxurious

or sophisticated as the Model S ...the only

thing that really beats it are the S and

the X and and and as Tesla I don't think

they were lying

previously when they said that when when

they talked about it being you know

stepped down it really is a step down

from the s so so that's kind of the

thing that that I would really that's

like where my head is it's it's a step

down from the S for sure

granted the S is a lot more expensive so

that there's there's the big difference

it really is ….I really love the car

but compared to some of the higher-end

tells it it it's hands down not as good

it's just simpler and and and all that

kind of stuff there are some things I

really like but overall hey I think the

s and X are far better cars so there you

go I am excited to get mine though I'm

really thrilled about it”

“I find it funny that so many

people were upset about [the Alcantara] it's not this

car is not a premium Tesla at all

compared to the s it's nowhere near the

quality I would say the S is a

phenomenal vehicle and if you get in a

newer nicer ask me these things they're

like really really nice get into the

three I'm like this is cool I like this

yeah it's a great car but but it just

doesn't even so I'm not worried about I

think if somebody's really bummed about

that they should just consider getting

an S something that's just a far nicer

vehicle in general”

“Mel ask what about the model 3 build

quality lots of them going back for

fixes yeah the only thing it's

definitely not is well done as the S or

the axe I mean you can feel like it's

it's a much lower end car just the

simplicity of it and the materials and

all that stuff”

“Nathan s are you in favor or more tablet

like screen the model 3 or like me so

you'll enjoy the screen in the Model S

and X yeah I definitely like the S and

the X screen more not necessarily

because of the positioning but just

because of the size the model 3 screen

is is quite a bit smaller coming from

the S and so and it also you know I've

everything packed on a 1 instead of 2 so

it definitely I think that's part of why

I feel like when I get into ass this is

like a really advanced luxury car I get

into 3 I'm like this is a really cool

tech car but not nearly as nice or

luxurious as the S”

2017 S90D VS 2017 Mode 3

Model 3 on coils and 19s has a noticeably harsher ride, but more comfortable seats, better sound, is quick enough but not gonna WOW those used to quick electrics.

Much more road/tire noise in Model 3.

Much better turn in and handeling in Lighter Model 3.

It’s a fantastic car for half the price of model S.

I don’t think they could have realistically made the car much better without seriously impacting Model S sales.

The bottom line is when driving the model three I don’t actually miss that much from the model S. The most important things are there and everything else is just a subjective preference in my opinion.

Like I’ve said before when dual motors and air suspension is in the model 3 it’s going to be a very close gap between that and the model S.

Frankly, I don't consider the Model S or X to be very premium, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 is better built since it's a newer product, but apparently this opinion seems to think it's even worse. It is still clearly evident that Tesla is a young car maker. The interior in my wife's 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/ signature leather wrapped interior is FAR, FAR better than my 2017 Model S w/ white interior & PUP - to be fair, it also blows away anything Land Rover had to offer, as we looked there as well. In my opinion, the S interior is very basic looking with little attention to design detail. The materials are pretty good, but the design itself is very rudimentary and fitment of everything is below average. The ride quality of the S and X are not very posh either, air suspension w/ smaller wheels or not. Sound dampening is great, but not as great as our Jeep (except for engine noise during acceleration).

Reactions: Ulmo
Check out what @youyouxue said here. He owns an S and a 3 and has driven his 3 cross country in the US. Some people might say negative things about the 3 because of psychological reasons. It reinforces their idea to stick with the S.

The Model S is not more premium. If it was, Tesla would have better profit margins on the S but they are expecting the same profit margins for both. See the second bullet point on top of the shareholder letter here. Even though the Model S prices are high, that's because half of the car is hand-assembled. Tesla uses 7 times the number of employees as other car makers to build the S/X (source). However, the Model 3 production line is a lot more automated according to Elon (source).

Also, check out my thread here: Model S vs Model 3 • r/teslamotors

I don't really fully agree with any review except this one:

Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review

We've had the same experience since delivery (putting almost 1k miles on so far) with just about every pro/con described in that review.

Ben Sullins isn't a professional car guy, he's just a YouTube persona, so I'd take that for a heavy grain of salt.
Thank you for that link — I haven't seen that review before and have a friend interested in 3 versus S comparisons before he places an order for one or the other.

The 3 is very good.....stylistically not really in the same neighborhood as the S (I LOVE the way my S looks but the 3 is...nice?...cute?...competent?...) but from the drivers seat who cares. The 3 drives better in most ways, super precise and nimble, and the interior fit,finish, materials, and design are very good. My S theoretically has better materials (PUP, leather everywhere) but the 3 actually feels like a better car in a lot of ways, lots of benefits to being newer and tesla's third attempt.

So you can break it down with a bunch of pros and cons and say one is better than the other in various ways but overall I think the 3 is a very good car and compares very will with the S. I cant imagine many first time tesla owners OR S owners being disappointed unless their expectations are absurdly out of line.

So to answer the original question.....how inferior is the 3? Not very....

Last edited:
Got my 3 yesterday, we're now 100% electric vehicles. It's an amazing car. In many ways it is superior to my S, especially in the interior: there's more storage, USB ports in the back seat, hangar hooks, door pockets, the visors are better. The fake leather feels very nice. I don't give a rat's ass about the headliner material and can't believe there's over a thousand posts about it. Sure, we're missing some luxuries like automatic trunk and doors, but more impressive is just how far Tesla has come with its technology in the last 5 years. The Model 3 is simply more advanced.

The driving experience is different and I like the smaller feel. Acceleration is still a kick in the pants. Overall, it's a wonderful car and we're very happy with the purchase.

Random tidbits:
  1. It's efficient! We drove the heck out of it yesterday and and are averaging 250wh/mile. My S has been at 320wh/mile over several years.
  2. Center screen is going to take some getting used to. I do wish that it was tilted a couple degrees toward the driver, I got used to that on the S.
  3. Lots of opportunities for little improvements with software updates. I'm looking forward to refinements for the phone key, automating driver profile selections, and I'm sure the UI can be tweaked to make some things easier to see (the navigation list of upcoming turns, ETA, etc, are way too far to the right, for example.)
No need for a full review, I think it's all been said many times already. My S got jealous from all the attention and I had to wash and detail it today!

I don't see or understand the need for such an emotionally charged choice of words in the title..."inferior". They're two different cars and don't see a reason to kind of pit one car against the other. Some people like all the little accoutrements of the Model 3. My husband loves that our MS never looks trashed with unnecessary clutter collected in it, which somehow finds it's way into my current ICE vehicle. The Model 3 is narrower inside while still feeling spacious enough. Easier to park I'd guess. Huge difference would be the amount of cargo space available in it and if you have a big family maybe the jump seats. Ultimately due to it's size and weight the MS may be a safer car to be in depending on the accident and what type of vehicle hits you. I don't doubt for a minute that the MS won't be getting a big battery update this year. I'm personally a pano roof person so that's one feature not on a Model 3 that I will miss. Oh and seriously miss the HEPA/BioWeapon Defense ability to clean the cabin air too. Given the limited cargo space available on the Model 3 don't see how they can include that in the car's frame, it's pretty efficient use of space as it is. The ability to customize the S is suppose to be much greater as well so it has that going for it.

On the waitlist for the Model 3 but I will always love our Model S. Will be happy to be owners of both beautifully styled cars. They're just different cars with great Tesla parentage! No ugly offspring.

Last edited:
Both great cars- pick based on your preference and space needs I have an S would not trade it for the 3 I like the style of the MS better and I like a bigger car. The S has more features which I enjoy. The 3,with the tax credit is an amazing value. All 3 are S M and 3 are all super cool cars. Not a competition just good options. The competition starts when other manufacturers join the party- better options than Leaf or Bolt. Come on Porsche / Audi and Volvo

I appreciate all the replies to my question. I think I just put more stock in Ben's opinion than I should have. I don't expect the Model 3 to be better than the more expensive MS, but I didn't expect so many comments about how much less luxurious it was. Much less comfortable, less tech.... Again, thanks for weighing in.

Check out what @youyouxue said here. He owns an S and a 3 and has driven his 3 cross country in the US. Some people might say negative things about the 3 because of psychological reasons. It reinforces their idea to stick with the S.
The Model S is not more premium. If it was, Tesla would have better profit margins on the S but they are expecting the same profit margins for both. See the second bullet point on top of the shareholder letter here. Even though the Model S prices are high, that's because half of the car is hand-assembled. Tesla uses 7 times the number of employees as other car makers to build the S/X (source). However, the Model 3 production line is a lot more automated according to Elon (source).

Also, check out my thread here: Model S vs Model 3 • r/teslamotors
A premium automobile has nothing to do with profit margins ... it is all about owner perception :cool:
BTW, keep up the great work on your Model 3 tracker and Reddit thread!

What shocks me is the statement that Tesla uses 7times more manpower to build S/X than other car manufacturers. I thought its the opposite, that Tesla has one of the best automatic lines. I can remember an article on Electrek where Audi guy was invited to Tesla factory and since then he prised Tesla for being "5 years ahead" of everyone else in automation....