Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s crazy. How come they can’t fix this? Tesla should have a few reps on the forum to answer simple questions like this. Like is Tesla planning on supporting their older fleet? Because right now it doesn’t look like they are planning on it, but if they are, maybe they could speak up and let us know when and how they are planning on it. Or are they just going to continue to take away range and functionality without any explanation? Sorry about your headlights.

I’ve had both DRL’s replaced in 1 year of ownership. And, my driver side just yellowed out again near the bottom corner, same spot as last time. This will be the second replacement for that DRL.

My car will be in tomorrow for it’s 3rd replacement. 2017 with 42k miles.

I am going to be on my 4th set. The car just turned 1 years old. This is seriously unacceptable.

Sounds like it's time for Class Action... the OEM warranty will expire at 50K miles / 4 years :cool:

Does this affect both the "standard" headlamp DRL and the "PUP" headlamp DRL?

• The (2016) Premium Upgrades Package was reconfigured as follows:
    • Three Positon dynamic LED turning headlights for improved nighttime visibility
    • LED fog lights
    • A true HEPA air filtration system that is 100 times more effective than premium automotive filters, removing at least 99.97% of particulate exhaust solution and effectively all allergens, bacteria and other contaminants from the cabin air . Includes a Bioweapon Defense Mode.
    • Two activated carbon air purification filters that prevent nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbon exhaust fumes and other offensive odors from entering the cabin.

Had mine replaced this week by a very knowledge mobile tech. He told me the DRLs are NOT individual LEDs, but a single light source in the corner whose light is carried down the length by a tube that glows along its length. The tubes age and crack and quit transmitting the light. That explains the failure pattern seems to smoothly get darker as you move away from the corner. No LEDs failing, just a plastic tube that should have been better quality.

Too bad they can’t simply open the light and replace the tube for ten bucks.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
Had mine replaced this week by a very knowledge mobile tech. He told me the DRLs are NOT individual LEDs, but a single light source in the corner whose light is carried down the length by a tube that glows along its length. The tubes age and crack and quit transmitting the light. That explains the failure pattern seems to smoothly get darker as you move away from the corner. No LEDs failing, just a plastic tube that should have been better quality.

Too bad they can’t simply open the light and replace the tube for ten bucks.

Same thing tech told me

Both of my DRL's have failed in the past month, or so (the upper half of the "eyeliner").

On a related note, has anyone else seen this effect: A smoky discoloration on the lower portion of the inside of the headlamp lens, as if some electronic component had burned and the smoke deposited on the inside of the lens?

I understand how the headlamp is different. I was hoping to hear actual experiences from owners who have the PUP headlamp to weigh in. Since they have different part numbers, I was hoping the suppliers might also be different and not prone to the same kind of failures.

I have the PUP headlamps. I've had one replaced under warranty. As this package became standard sometime in 2017 and there are many many reports of that vintage experiencing problems, it's safe to say they're affected.

I don't think the actual assemblies are different at all, other than the PUP ones have a bulb in the cornering lamp housing and the feature is enabled in software. They're almost certainly provided by the same supplier and use identical components for the DRLs.

How
I have the PUP headlamps. I've had one replaced under warranty. As this package became standard sometime in 2017 and there are many many reports of that vintage experiencing problems, it's safe to say they're affected.

I don't think the actual assemblies are different at all, other than the PUP ones have a bulb in the cornering lamp housing and the feature is enabled in software. They're almost certainly provided by the same supplier and use identical components for the DRLs.
How can you tell the difference between the two different headlights? I’ve always wondered if they installed the PUP headlights or not. Mine don’t seem to do anything special.

How

How can you tell the difference between the two different headlights? I’ve always wondered if they installed the PUP headlights or not. Mine don’t seem to do anything special.

The PUP lights will illuminate a cornering lamp on sharp turns, in the direction of your turn. It’s binary, if you watch closely you should see it turn on and off.

Many people think they are some sort of fancy moving bulb system, no doubt based on Tesla’s rather inflated description of them - “three position dynamic turning headlights”. The “three positions” are:

“Left bulb on” (sharp turn left)
“No bulb on” (driving forward)
“Right bulb on” (sharp turn right)

And “turning headlights” in this case means “lights for turning”, not “lights that turn”.

The PUP lights will illuminate a cornering lamp on sharp turns, in the direction of your turn. It’s binary, if you watch closely you should see it turn on and off.

Many people think they are some sort of fancy moving bulb system, no doubt based on Tesla’s rather inflated description of them - “three position dynamic turning headlights”. The “three positions” are:

“Left bulb on” (sharp turn left)
“No bulb on” (driving forward)
“Right bulb on” (sharp turn right)

And “turning headlights” in this case means “lights for turning”, not “lights that turn”.

I think there is more variation than that. There is at least three levels of each direction that I see.
2016 early refresh who happens to have have each unit replaced 5 times under warranty for dead DRL'S or what Tesla calls them "Signature Lamps".

I thought so at first too but I’ve looked pretty closely on very dark roads and at least on my refresh late 2016 I can’t see anything beyond “on” and “off” in each direction.

But I might be wrong.
I'll look again in the next few days. I have a place where I can see the reflection very well in a glassed in area.

Reactions: ucmndd
Took delivery of my 2017 Model S 3/24/2017, both mine are failing. Have about 45713 miles on mine, but have not checked them since around 20-30k. Will take in to get addressed soon, also have what might be a failing rear hatch strut (starting to make noise), had a bad coolant pump, a steering rack replaced, upper control arm replaced (scrunch noises). Still love my car though, out of warranty...not sure how I’ll feel...