Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my divers side replaced under warranty. My passenger side just went out and is around $1600 to replace now that I'm over milage. Not gonna do it. There was some threads out there where service replaced it under the time warranty not the miles but I think the service centers are under a cash crunch and have to itemize every single thing lately so little things like courtesy replacements under good will are a thing of the past.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My passenger side just went out and is around $1600 to replace...
In the same boat here.

I would replace it if I felt the replacement corrected the initial defect but do not want to expend the funds to "fix" it only to have it break again.

Feels almost like the MCUs failing on account of the memory chip wherein a cheap component brings down the entire expensive unit...wonder if anyone knows if it's possible to disassemble the headlight unit and replace the failed (LED?) component?

Saves us money. Saves Tesla money.

That only applies if you paid for the part. If it was replaced under warranty, the replacement part warranty falls under the cars warranty.

Not going to get too deep into details on my situation, but in my case Tesla did take reasonable care of me and was fair. My car did lapse out of warranty and because the time since the repair was so short they did replace again under warranty. It wasn't even an argument or anything... they just flat took care of me without question.

Reactions: pilotSteve
That only applies if you paid for the part. If it was replaced under warranty, the replacement part warranty falls under the cars warranty.

That’s not generally true.

If you have an MCU, for example, replaced on the very last day of your bumper to bumper warranty and it fails a month or 10 months later, that part should be replaced again under its own 12 month warranty. This is common, almost universal practice in the industry.

That's not what I was told by my service center.

Like most things Tesla, service centers aren't authoritative sources of info and say basically whatever they want. Unfortunately the onus is often on the consumer to be persistent.

Here's an example from Toyota. Tesla told me the same thing when my MCU was replaced at 45,000 miles under warranty - part has its own 12 month unlimited mile warranty.

I had a part replaced at an authorized Toyota dealership under warranty. What warranty coverage do I have for this part?

Like most things Tesla, service centers aren't authoritative sources of info and say basically whatever they want. Unfortunately the onus is often on the consumer to be persistent.

Here's an example from Toyota. Tesla told me the same thing when my MCU was replaced at 45,000 miles under warranty - part has its own 12 month unlimited mile warranty.

I had a part replaced at an authorized Toyota dealership under warranty. What warranty coverage do I have for this part?

“The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months.”

Vehicle Warranty

Mea culpa, apparently I'm wrong RE Tesla, or something changed recently, or *I* was the one getting smoke blown up my skirt by the service center.

From the Parts, body, and paint repair warranty:

"Any Parts repaired or replaced under the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, or an active Tesla Service Plan is covered for the duration of that applicable warranty or plan, and does not extend beyond that duration."

Crazy. I've never heard of any other auto manufacturer with a policy like that.