Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please see above. Remember to account for the 300-foot descent during this trip leg (not negligible over 16 miles - will make about a four-rated-mile delta (~400Wh/mi) between going one direction vs the other!).

Introduces a lot of unknowns and unfortunately no videos have shown the straightforward info needed to allow calculation of available pack capacity. (I don’t think anyone cares!)

Maybe the truck doesn’t have trip meters or energy screen app yet. Who knows.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Speaking of goal post, the fan boys on the act forum are now saying the CT is in its own truck category and will dominate it 🤣
Even in the investment thread, there's not as much talk about "taking down the F Series" anymore. It's not going to be the best Baja, largest frunk, longest range, most roomy, best for work/fleet, etc truck on the market, but it can be a really nice option that's a midsized truck with a larger bed, good towing capacity, and can offroad...basically good in every category, but not the best in any.

If not for the polarizing looks, that could do really well on it's own, but it has as much hate as it does adoration....I think if it's priced aggressively, the looks won't matter to many and they will see it as a jack of all trades and master of none, but sell like crazy.

If it's priced high, there will be a 2 year backlog before it levels out to MS/X numbers, unless Tesla decides to step things up.

Speaking of goal post, the fan boys on the act forum are now saying the CT is in its own truck category and will dominate it 🤣
They may just be right.

I’m thinking of it as a Sport Truck. Fast, decent handling on/off road, lots of storage for road tripping, rugged exterior less prone to dings, decent towing capacity, possibly a base for camper conversions. Like how cool the Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero were back in the day.

If we follow through and get ours, it will replace our Honda Ridgeline beater and get used for trips to the dump or Home Depot or whatever. Or to tow our dump trailer and utility trailers around as needed, mostly locally. Wretched excess for our needs, but likely to be the last truck we’ll ever buy, and we can afford it, so why not? But after the initial thrill, I suspect most local driving will still be in our M3.

In summary, it may very well be a niche category, but one that may have sufficient appeal to be a sales success. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12 and Mengy
Did you even watch the event in 2019? The goal post was set by Crazy Elon. All his specs. Then the tug-a-war challenge.
Of course, many times ... I heard "this is what we're going to try to do" and didn't for a second assume every single goal was going to be reached ...

I'd like to see the tug-o-war with the Lightning and production Cybertruck, now that would be interesting ...

Of course, many times ... I heard "this is what we're going to try to do" and didn't for a second assume every single goal was going to be reached ...

I'd like to see the tug-o-war with the Lightning and production Cybertruck, now that would be interesting ...

Only if it’s a non partisan tester

Again, it wouldn’t prove anything other than the Cybertruck is Heavier.

A better test would be how much crap you can fit into both while seating 5 passengers safely. Then take it on a road trip and see what the range is on both.

Lol. Elon never says "this is what we're trying to do" at any product unveils.

It's "this is what we are selling, now give us money for it and maybe you'll get yours in 5 years."

They may just be right.

I’m thinking of it as a Sport Truck. Fast, decent handling on/off road, lots of storage for road tripping, rugged exterior less prone to dings, decent towing capacity, possibly a base for camper conversions. Like how cool the Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero were back in the day.

If we follow through and get ours, it will replace our Honda Ridgeline beater and get used for trips to the dump or Home Depot or whatever. Or to tow our dump trailer and utility trailers around as needed, mostly locally. Wretched excess for our needs, but likely to be the last truck we’ll ever buy, and we can afford it, so why not? But after the initial thrill, I suspect most local driving will still be in our M3.

In summary, it may very well be a niche category, but one that may have sufficient appeal to be a sales success. Time will tell.

the problem... once you slice the truck market into :

gasoline trucks - compact (Ford Maverick) / mid-size (GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger, Ridgeline etc) / full-size (F150 etc) / heavy duty F250/F350/ Silverado HD

EV trucks - mid-size (Rivian) / full size (Lightning / RAM EV / Silverado EV) and the Cybertruck which is +6 inches over the Rivian but 8-9 inches less than the Lightning ...

you are talking about a lot of fragmentation and each segment has a smaller and smaller audience. So yeah... Cybertruck might dominate the "large-mid-size but not as big as full-size" EV truck segment for those who want a bigger but more polarizing Rivian and can't fit a Lightning in their garage.... but that segment ain't ~200k+ vehicles annually....

and regarding pricing: Tesla margins are falling, a lot. The mundane Model Y AWD with a ~70kwh battery costs close to $50k. Tesla won't sell a near full-size, heavy duty truck with a 100-120 kwh battery and rear wheel steering for anywhere near what they charge for a Model Y. Keep repeating this as some folks still think there's going to be a $50k Cybertruck at launch....

This is like saying "On paper, the Mustang Mach-e stacks up pretty well against the Model Y."

In reality, the acceleration, range, price, and the software will make all the difference.
It's not like saying that at all. Both of those vehicles exist and can be directly compared. The only reason my comparison is "on paper" is that the CT does not yet exist. But as details are being leaked, the consensus is that the production CT will much closer to the Lightning than to the launch CT.

I gave acceleration credit to the CT, at least the tri-motor will for sure be quickly than the Lightning. Range is looking equivalent to the Lightning. Price of course is up in the air but I also think it will be close to the Lightning. Software? Don't make me laugh. I drive an MXP which has the most-equivalent interior to the CT. The latest software has the stupidest chimes when changing gears now. Lack of stalks is annoying. But the performance of the MXP makes me forget those things. We shall see if the good parts of the CT can overcome the bad parts. Again, there is no perfect vehicle - everything is a compromise based on how you plan to use a vehicle. But the idea that CT is going to be the "best truck evvvaahhhh" is turning out to not be the case. It will not have superior range, storage, interior room, etc.

That's optional in settings, or at least it was in my M3.
The drive chimes changed in update 2023.38.6 to some sort if louder bubbly ping pong sound. They can not be changed with options in the car. Do a search in your car for chime. This is the results for what is configurable in a 2022 MSLR with update 2023.38.6:
Screenshot_20231116_081846_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Lol. Elon never says "this is what we're trying to do" at any product unveils.

It's "this is what we are selling, now give us money for it and maybe you'll get yours in 5 years."
I guess a lot of folks are a bit naive then, I didn't think his excitement would translate into reality. I always expected changes once they started engineering for production. We'll see how much it changed when the review embargo lifts on the 30th.

Reactions: zoomer0056