Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of confirmed Australian Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We now have more than 50 orders in the spreadsheet, so whilst it obviously doesn't capture all the sales, it actually does provide a good snapshot of where Tesla are at in Australia.

The thing that I find most interesting is that many people have switched to the P85D, despite its high cost. That tells me that performance is a key consideration for many Tesla buyers - something they'll probably keep on improving in the future. Point is, they're probably not going to bring out a Mitsubishi i-Miev anytime soon.

I was curious, and even more amazed to discover more than 75% of Q4 2014/Q1 2015 orders on the spread sheet in the main part of the forum are P85D
This is more than just a "halo" car...

I was also interested to see only one out of 50 here (and one out of 182 on the other spreadsheet) not choosing tech package.

We now have more than 50 orders in the spreadsheet, so whilst it obviously doesn't capture all the sales, it actually does provide a good snapshot of where Tesla are at in Australia.

The thing that I find most interesting is that many people have switched to the P85D, despite its high cost. That tells me that performance is a key consideration for many Tesla buyers - something they'll probably keep on improving in the future. Point is, they're probably not going to bring out a Mitsubishi i-Miev anytime soon.

Performance is important to me as well - but, as I am older than Tim I want to enjoy the car NOW! I agree with the point though - particularly if you add in the P85 models.

The other attraction is the appeal as something different, new and innovative. The last time I was this excited was when I bought my RX8. I also ordered my first one (I had to buy another as an idiot crashed into it) many months before it was released world wide let alone in Australia. The RX8 had a similar technology/difference attraction (Wankel rotary engine, suicide doors, 4 seater sports car etc).

Since then I am more conscious of the environment but I can't claim that ANY car is good for the environment. However the Tesla is at least better for the environment than it's equivalent.

I also believe that Tesla should be supported as a means to pressurise the other manufacturers to move to electric cars. I doubt that manufacturers would be contemplating all electric vehicles without this competition.

I hope that Tesla, along with other innovations, increase the speed we approach the tipping point from fossil fuels to renewables.

Changes in the market from changing consumer preferences will disrupt the economy - witness the fluctuations in valuations for fossil fuel companies. These decreases in valuation have a long way to go.

Cheers
Higgy

There is more than enough grunt for me in the plain vanilla S85. I don't need, and would not use the additional power, and even had dual motors been available at the time of my original order, i would have passed. One of my concerns is sending money to those who are potentially enemies of the West, and this car is my small protest against handing money to oil sheiks. The car is too big for me now, currently i drive a B class Merc. (Previously had the Lexus 430). I want a luxurious but small car, which is really difficult to achieve even with all the ICE vehicles out there. My B class is optioned up. Nevertheless, he trade in value is pathetic - well under 20grand!!!! So, whomever tries to sell you a car based on "holding its value" forget it. waste of space. My kids Daihatsu Sirion has held its value better than my Merc, and the marque is not even in this country anymore. (i was told by a salesman that people are wary of buying European cars that are out of warranty).
Actually, for me, a smaller but luxurious BEV would have been good. The leaf doesn't cut it, and the BMW is a very expensive car with a badge, and i suspect one is paying a lot for the badge.
I also like toys and innovation, and i really like the cool idea of being amongst the first with a brand new product in a new market.

Performance is important to me as well, however I couldn't justify the extra 20k to go to a P85. Although I could technically afford it, the P85+ was just too expensive because of the LCT. I'd have jumped at the S85D IF the delivery was going to be in Feb, but with it in July or later, I just want the car that I've already been hanging out for 3 years for to arrive. I can always trade up at a later date if the itch gets too much.

Hero cars have a bad habit of depreciating very quickly compared to others since many in the market for them are relatively price insensitive anyway and want the latest. I'd normally take advantage of this and buy a good second hand car - (I've only bought one new car ever and was dismayed at the depreciation!) and am always grateful to those who took a huge financial hit to support my motoring. I'd especially like to thank P. White who was the original buyer of my 928, paying $236,000+ on road costs in 1990! Since I paid $57k for the car you can see why....

The S85 is also much bigger than I'd normally buy, I'd actually prefer a bit bigger and more practical roadster type option, but represents the only real option to get off of oil. Like Dborn I'm sick of supporting wars and despicable regimes with petro dollars. The faster we can get ourselves off of it the better the world will be - especially if we can once again be self sufficient in powering our transport.

This was a bit of a shock to many of my friends as I'm such a car snob, biased towards performance vehicles and only RWD or AWD performance cars, but after driving the Roadster I was hooked on the performance benefits of a properly done EV power train. I'll miss a few things of course, the joy of a perfectly executed heel & toe downshift coming into a corner, the menacing rumble that my V8 makes - especially when doing the aforementioned downshift, but overall I think that I'll be pretty happy.

I'm especially looking forward to the effortless dusting off of a number of other vehicles - even at 5.6 sec the S85 will be quicker than the vast majority of other cars out there, with the benefit that no-one can tell if you are even trying.

The S85 is all I need . I didn't feel the need for the extra grunt of the P85or the P85+. Also they come with 21" wheels which would be crazy for me- I live in the bush and some of my regular drive is dirt.

AND I have excessive solar power almost all the time so the environmental impact of the car for me will be minimal.
Apart from money going overseas to oil sheiks my big problem with oil burners is air pollution and greenhouse gases.

I have had a couple of Prii and the depreciation on them is probably as horrible as it is for luxury European sedans.
And quite frankly the Model S is never going to be an investment- just a really big feel good purchase for an old "greenie".

My friends are not surprised that I NEED a model S as it is probably the ultimate gadget when loaded with most of the fruit.
Fits my personality perfectly.

So, I have good news and bad news.
Good news is that "My Tesla" page now has a new section for my Pick Up address.
Show Room 2 at the St Leonard's Service Centre.
Bad news is estimated time of delivery "late February 2015" :cursing:
Hoping that the timing is wrong.

I think I'd trust the calls and emails over the website.

The locals will have a much better idea than a website that caters for deliveries globally.

I reckon the date was the initial expected date, probably entered by hand months ago and hasn't been updated.

All theories of course, but having built large scale sites like this, it seems like something that'd fall into the "lets do that manually initially" type category.

I think I'd trust the calls and emails over the website.

The locals will have a much better idea than a website that caters for deliveries globally.

I reckon the date was the initial expected date, probably entered by hand months ago and hasn't been updated.

All theories of course, but having built large scale sites like this, it seems like something that'd fall into the "lets do that manually initially" type category.
The flaw with that argument is that the pick up address is very accurate and specific. So, they would have had quotes and a damn good idea when things would be ready.

Probably should have said that my original post was partially in jest. :redface:
As the qualifier on the page says the delivery date is subject to many things including production schedules etc.
Knowing that my car is complete and has left USA nearly a month ago I am still expecting my car just before Xmas or worst case early January.
I'm more worried that my vanity plates will make it from Mascot to Chatswood RMS in time for registration.

Last edited:
Received this this morning in response to a query from me regarding "late February".
"We are currently testing new MyTesla systems and a generic date was posted to show functionality."
This refers specifically to my car, but since so many are late February, it seems that it may apply to most if not all.
My car is not in country yet. No definite date available but they are hoping for later next week or the week after. A mutually acceptable interim plan has been arranged. Confidential.