Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Look ma, no lines! Autopilot growing up or glitching out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my commute home yesterday the sky was the perfect shade of grey and the read was just wet enough to reflect it and make road markings seem to disappear from the autopilot camera, yet it continued to navigate curves and the roadway. The display would freak out from time to time, almost looked like how the roadway in the display of the self driving test video Tesla put out. Is Tesla relying more heavily on GPS lately to prepare for unmarked roads or was this just a beast of a glitch?

AI is sentient. Like us, it now has faith the road will continue on ahead even when it can’t see it well.

I have seen the nudge to the right away from oncoming traffic on .12. I have not seen it nudge to the left away from trucks being passed who seem to like putting their front wheel on the white line just as I am approaching the cab.

That is great news. What version of update are you on?
2018.14.2 it's raining again today and I'll be leaving work the same time so I'll get to see if this happens again. It's interesting to see all these subtle things happen as autopilot develops, although it's hard to say if some of the subtle things I see I'm making up in my head and they are glitches in the matrix, or autopilot is actually picking up subtle human behavior.

The no lines doesn't mean it doesn't see lines. It means it's not very clear

My ap1 car has done this for quite a while. Same behaviour with the lines. The other behaviour I will have to watch more closely for. I just use Ap on big highways where I'm bored.
I think what I need to do is find a road I can enable ap with lines that then transition into a road without lines and see how it acts.

Reactions: BrandonR22
Seems relatively normal. When the car runs out of lines to track it appears to use a best guess approach until it doesn’t.

I do wish the car would adjust lane positioning automagically both in the face of oncoming traffic and when overtaking large trucks. It would reduce rock chips to both the body and windshield.

In fact, I’d rather get that before stop sign reaction.

Almost.

Hi All,

I am AP2.5 and at the latest version of firmware 2018.16 and before that it was 2018.14.2

On repeat drives sometimes it will Not show the lines bordering the road.

When this happens AP is not possible. These are roads where it has seen the borders previously.

I have not been able to determine what causes the lines to disappear...

On the next drive on the same road they are back. These are fairly well marked rural roads in Michigan.

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Seems relatively normal. When the car runs out of lines to track it appears to use a best guess approach until it doesn’t.

I do wish the car would adjust lane positioning automagically both in the face of oncoming traffic and when overtaking large trucks. It would reduce rock chips to both the body and windshield.

In fact, I’d rather get that before stop sign reaction.

Almost.
I'm definitely seeing it hug the right side when there's oncomming traffic on straightaways. So that's exciting!

Last edited:
After 2018.14.2 AP1 defiantly has improved abilities to drive on roads with poor line markings. A county road I drive daily has a hill with a sharp crest. It's a chip and seal road also so with the bright sun in afternoon the lines all but disappear. Previously Autopilot would be hunting for the correct line to drive. Now there is not even a wiggle cresting that hill. Autopilot drives better all around now in my opinion.

After 2018.14.2 AP1 defiantly has improved abilities to drive on roads with poor line markings. A county road I drive daily has a hill with a sharp crest. It's a chip and seal road also so with the bright sun in afternoon the lines all but disappear. Previously Autopilot would be hunting for the correct line to drive. Now there is not even a wiggle cresting that hill. Autopilot drives better all around now in my opinion.
I have some of the most aggressive hill crests and it has been doing so much better as of late...I agree completely.

I checked my WiFi I see that there has been a lot of data up and downloaded to my car over the past few. Interesting that there’s been apparent change in behavior with no “update”

It could be due to updates to the ADAS tiles which have nothing to do with the firmware. They do help AP figure out what is going on with roads, including their width, curvature, and general position/direction.

Since we are now locked out of the tile database, we don't know how much they are improving but from what we gleaned before access was curtailed, the tiles were continuously being populated and AP's confidence score on the roads around me kept increasing. The ADAS tiles contained sparse spline data on unmarked roads near me, but this could be changing.

• Informative