Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fine. Wasn't trying to argue, just curious since I've got a Y on order.
Radar hardware was removed, passenger lumbar support was removed, USB data in the center console was replaced with power-only, wood trim now wraps around to the doors (looks worse to me). There are probably others.

Sadly, Tesla seems to break their own products almost as much as they innovate. Probably I'm just jaded though.

Radar hardware was removed, passenger lumbar support was removed, USB data in the center console was replaced with power-only, wood trim now wraps around to the doors (looks worse to me). There are probably others.

Sadly, Tesla seems to break their own products almost as much as they innovate. Probably I'm just jaded though.

I think it was Facebook that coined “Move Fast And Break Things” but this rationale seems to apply to most tech companies these days.

If they fix the horn it will be fine.

Over time many many users like the blinkers. Takes time but they are fine. Do you look at your feet to find the pedals? I hope not. You won’t have to look for anything once you get used to it.

I find the gear shifting absolutely fine on Refresh S. You can change direction while still moving ;) Again takes time to get used to it. I never use the AutoShift.
You can do that now with the Model 3...as long as it's under 5 MPH. I use it every time I back out of my driveway. I have a side-load garage on a corner in a busy subdivision. I can't see cars coming around corners until I'm in the road. As soon as I am in my lane I flick the stalk, while still rolling backwards, to be ready to accelerate if a car comes. I'm watching mirrors and don't want to have to "find" the dash gear selector. Like a previous post, gross motor skill vs fine.
Time for a "save the stalks" campaign

Regen setting removed.
Dead pedal gone (for a while anyway).
Various V11 control and display causalities.
Travel charging cable no longer included.

Continuously taking away features from the latest models seems like a good way to kill demand from repeat buyers. Why would I want to buy a less capable version of the car I already own (for more money as well)?

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
Regen setting removed.
Dead pedal gone (for a while anyway).
Various V11 control and display causalities.
Travel charging cable no longer included.

Continuously taking away features from the latest models seems like a good way to kill demand from repeat buyers. Why would I want to buy a less capable version of the car I already own (for more money as well)?
I’ve gone from 2018 3 to 2019 X to 2022 S.

My S is an absolute dream to drive.

Never touched regen setting on any of them. Winter snow or summer. Always on Max.

Single pedal driving has never been so smooth.

I have a dead pedal in my S Refresh.

V11 is awesome with the dual displays it flows great. Once they brought the 2nd round of tool bar buttons I’m good.

I keep reusing my Wall Charger. Don’t give a hoot if they give me a Mobile charger or not.

Doubt it’s causing much change in demand.

Was worried about Yoke. Now I love it.

Like to see some tricks with these Matrix headlights soon.

Wish the noise cancelation didn’t have to recalibrate on every drive. But it does work. And I do notice when it’s recalibrating and not active.

You can do that now with the Model 3...as long as it's under 5 MPH. I use it every time I back out of my driveway. I have a side-load garage on a corner in a busy subdivision. I can't see cars coming around corners until I'm in the road. As soon as I am in my lane I flick the stalk, while still rolling backwards, to be ready to accelerate if a car comes. I'm watching mirrors and don't want to have to "find" the dash gear selector. Like a previous post, gross motor skill vs fine.
Time for a "save the stalks" campaign
Nice name

Reactions: puffdaddy

I'm very glad I got my 3 recently. Ryzen processor, matrix headlights and I restored the USB data in center console with the tparts chip. Nothing I can do about the lack of radar, but that's being disabled in the cars that have it anyways in favor of the camera based system.

Thank the Lord I still have drive selector stalks, I'm keeping this car until I need a new one and the touch solution is dumb as hell. Thanks for making one last good model year Tesla, but I'm not on board for your touch button garbage in the next cars.

Reactions: kavyboy
I'm very glad I got my 3 recently. Ryzen processor, matrix headlights and I restored the USB data in center console with the tparts chip. Nothing I can do about the lack of radar, but that's being disabled in the cars that have it anyways in favor of the camera based system.

Thank the Lord I still have drive selector stalks, I'm keeping this car until I need a new one and the touch solution is dumb as hell. Thanks for making one last good model year Tesla, but I'm not on board for your touch button garbage in the next cars.
There was a time, circa 2015 when Tesla was just trying to make the best car possible to show that EVs can be better than ICE. Now it's all about the most scalable, highest margin production with a side of FSD vision.

Reactions: heavyD and kavyboy
There was a time, circa 2015 when Tesla was just trying to make the best car possible to show that EVs can be better than ICE. Now it's all about the most scalable, highest margin production with a side of FSD vision.
They were trying to re-invent the service model, as well: no dealer BS, above-and-beyond customer relations, and no profit on service calls. That's also changed.

I thought I read that from some recently filed Tesla patent that radar might be back with HW4??

Saw a few articles like this one:

Not sure where that would leave older HW3 cars and those without radar installed. Also wondered if due to some gov’t pressure from Autopilot and FSD usage.

Last edited:
I thought I read that from some recently filed Tesla patent that radar might be back with HW4??

Saw a few articles like this one:

Not sure where that would leave older HW3 cars and those without radar installed.
To be honest, I don't really care. I bought this car to drive it, and while autopilot is nice I'd be equally happy without it at all.

What I want in the car is usability and performance, plus fast and good infotainment. I'd be happier if they added 360 cameras + ventilated seats (3/Y) than FSD improvement and radar sensors. Granted it should have all of the above, but with Tesla acting cheaper than my Indian mom, we can't have everything.

To be honest, I don't really care. I bought this car to drive it, and while autopilot is nice I'd be equally happy without it at all.

What I want in the car is usability and performance, plus fast and good infotainment. I'd be happier if they added 360 cameras + ventilated seats (3/Y) than FSD improvement and radar sensors. Granted it should have all of the above, but with Tesla acting cheaper than my Indian mom, we can't have everything.
Same here. I love the solid highway autopilot on my 2015 P85D, but have no desire for any more self driving than that. Ventilated seats would be far more valuable for me.

I do wonder whether Tesla has overestimated demand for FSD beyond the early adopter crowd. Probably not, given that there is less interest in cars and driving with every new generation, but I honestly don't know anyone who has any interest in it all.

I think that's different radar hardware though.

I bought this car to drive it, and while autopilot is nice I'd be equally happy without it at all.
Same here... I really like driving the car myself. I consider the radar a really good safety feature for emergencies.

If I have a heart attack and floor the pedal with my kids in the backseat, I hope the car will stop before an impact (not sure if that would actually work anyways).

My perception is that radar works well for this type of thing, but cameras are unreliable. The fact that I purchased a car with radar and the manufacturer wants to disable it so they can *try* to emulate that feature with cameras is not okay.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I just want to say here that... if you read many of my more recent posts, you might get the impression that I dislike Tesla.

The truth is, I'm *very* happy with my Model 3 overall. That said, Tesla continually makes choices that seem hostile to their own customer base. Perhaps they don't realize it, or perhaps they don't care.

I do get the sense that decisions are made without concern for the customers. When demand outstrips supply this much, maybe it doesn't matter to them anymore. Seems like they're in "bottom line" thinking mode.