Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t look like a horn icon to the upper left of the right scroll wheel. Maybe a phone button? Maybe they finally put the horn back in the center airbag?
The horn button has been relocated to the brake pedal.

One quick tap for horn. Steady pressure to brake. Simple, intuitive, futuristic, minimalistic, giggariffic, etc.

In both your examples, you can do it by touching something physical without taking your eyes off the road, just like using stalks. You have missed the point. The problem with removing the stalks is you have to take your eyes off the road and fiddle around with a touch screen.
I didn't miss the point. People were arguing the touch screen was a slower way to shift and backup when they got themselves in a bind. Now that I've shown instances where current vehicles are slow it has somehow shifted to eyes on the road.

Well, if you kept your eyes on the road you wouldn't have put yourself into a bind that you now have to get out of.

I didn't miss the point. People were arguing the touch screen was a slower way to shift and backup when they got themselves in a bind. Now that I've shown instances where current vehicles are slow it has somehow shifted to eyes on the road.

Well, if you kept your eyes on the road you wouldn't have put yourself into a bind that you now have to get out of.
I guess every driver out there is amazing and perfect, so as long as we are careful, nothing bad will ever happen. Nice assumption.

And don't forget, there are still a million people that put the brake on, look down at their shifter, move it, then look back up, then release the brake. See it all the time.

Looking at the screen vs shifter is extremely minor in the grand scheme of things.

With Ford now working towards adding the NACS charge port to their vehicle. We will now have a very tactile vehicle with access to the best supercharging network available. Clearly Tesla better hope they have a better solution with "stalkless" controls and "horn buttons", because one of the largest barriers to alternative EV's is looking like it will removed (the current lousy DCFC infrastructure).

What changed?:

Economy is dramatically different now with a severe drop in purchasing power, all around the world but more so in the US. S&P and Nasdaq has dropped more than 20% since the pandemic highs and the consumer sentiment is quite weak.

You add to that the massive increase in production capacity - Berlin & Austin were producing zero model Ys in 2021. Now cranking 10K a week together. China has increased it production by atleast 50% in the last 24 months.

I guess the few 'Woke' that are upset by his Twitter posts enough not to buy the car is perhaps balanced by the few that would buy the car for the same reason.

I don’t think Elons Twitter shenanigans register with most people one way or the other. I agree with you that it boils down to economics.

Although I am happy with my model Y overall, I would consider another brand if Tesla keeps moving in this direction. No stalks means it’s a pain in the ass to access wipers, turn signals, or quickly change between drive and reverse.

This along with doors that can’t open when power is off (the rear “emergency” escape situation should be illegal), passing videos between employees, windows that get stuck in winter, phantom braking and so on are issues that other manufacturers don’t have and things that Tesla needs to improve.

Was there a possibility that you believed such a statement? LOL

When people say "I can think of a million reasons to not do X" do you ask them to list off all one million? ;)
CE71F9D3-812E-4A82-9C6F-678C58B4BFA0.png

if AI won’t do it, no one will.0

Was there a possibility that you believed such a statement? LOL

When people say "I can think of a million reasons to not do X" do you ask them to list off all one million? ;)
When someone is attempting to use it as a metric to prove a point and following it up with "see it all the time"

...who am I kidding, no, I didn't believe you, I knew you were another fanboy throwing bs out there in a feeble attempt to defend your messiah's poor judgment, hence my saying "figured as much." 😉

Screenshot_20230526-210000.png

Eliminating stalks has made this uncomfortable again. Luddites always resist change.
It isn't about eliminating the stalks. It is about the replacement was a POS. I am far from a luddite, but the on screen gear change is total shite.

I have a pretty good engineering background. I would have taken a different approach. I would have taken advantage of the steering wheel itself. I would have integrated the gear change mechanism on the wheel where I could have haptic feedback and easily control it all by touch without taking my hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. Now there is change I could get behind.

I switch off between my 3 and S throughout the day. Drive the same roads, same road conditions, weather, etc. The stalks are far better to use day in and out in the city than the crap on the S. The stalks are just plan inconvenient usually and a hazard at times. I was just at Costco today with the S and some idiot was backing up in his pickup truck without looking.

Of course the idiotic horn placement makes it hard to get the horn in a hurry. I also tried the hand smash across all the buttons and that didn't seem to register. Then it was try and fumble for the gear shift to try and back up. You can't smash the horn and try and select a gear at the same time because of the stupid design. Fortunately his truck had a high lift kit but we still almost ended up with an interference fit. In the 3 I could just flicked a stalk and quickly backed up.

Now if they came up with something that was equal to, or better than the stalks, then I am all in. The fact isn't they didn't. Just like how they half-assed the yoke, they did even worse with the stalks. If they don't fix it, these are my last Teslas.

When someone is attempting to use it as a metric to prove a point and following it up with "see it all the time"

...who am I kidding, no, I didn't believe you, I knew you were another fanboy throwing bs out there in a feeble attempt to defend your messiah's poor judgment, hence my saying "figured as much." 😉

View attachment 941473
It obviously was a figure of speech though, not literally. In fact, there might be way more than a million people that look down at the shifter when they reverse, but it's hard to prove given I doubt there was a survey done on this.

"a million people" is a commonly used phrase, here's an example from Grammarly that explains how the phrase "a million people" is used generally:
Have you ever heard someone use the word “literally” and thought, “They can’t really mean literally.” There were not literally a million people at the concert. That final exam did not literally kill them.
Example: The concert was so crowded, it felt like a million people were there.
A metaphor makes the comparison directly, substituting one thing for another.
Simile vs. Metaphor: What’s the Difference?

I actually got that habit of looking down at the shift to confirm the position when shifting in reverse from when I learned driving and it carried over to my usage of the stalk. When I change between drive and reverse, I look at the stalk due to habit. I generally don't do that however when I am activating or deactivating AP, for that I treat it naturally like the turn signal, where I don't actually look at it.

As a sanity check, I tried to think what kind of videos would people shift into reverse and the first thought is driver test videos. And the first result I found that they had a camera on both the driver and the shifter, sure enough the person looked down at the shifter to reverse (around 3:30):
Here's the second result (1:20 in), and driver looked down:
And the third (3:51 in driver looked down to shift into drive, 4:30 a different driver looked down to shift to reverse):

I'm not going to bother going further down the list, but from the results I think the people who DON'T look down at the shifter when switching between drive and reverse is probably the unusual ones!

Last edited:
... I knew you were another fanboy throwing bs out there in a feeble attempt to defend your messiah's poor judgment...

Source?

Also, I'm not sure what Elon has to do with the conversation. I decouple CEOs from the companies they run when specifically discussion a product, solution or feature.

I love Meraki products and certain Cisco solutions. Do I adore Chuck Robbins? No....honestly, I don't know much about him.

I love the Suzuki GSXR and Subaru WRX....don't ask me who the CEOs are.

Agreeing with a design change is purely agreeing with the change. Just like disliking the choice of tires for the Model 3 does not mean you hate Elon, agreeing that white and red are good paint options does not mean you are an Elon fanboi.

It obviously was a figure of speech though, not literally. In fact, there might be way more than a million people that look down at the shifter when they reverse, but it's hard to prove given I doubt there was a survey done on this.

"a million people" is a commonly used phrase, here's an example from Grammarly that explains how the phrase "a million people" is used generally:
"Have you ever heard someone use the word “literally” and thought, “They can’t really mean literally.” There were not literally a million people at the concert. That final exam did not literally kill them."
Simile vs. Metaphor: What’s the Difference?

I actually got that habit of looking down at the shift to confirm the position when shifting in reverse from when I learned driving and it carried over to my usage of the stalk. When I change between drive and reverse, I look at the stalk due to habit. I generally don't do that however when I am activating or deactivating AP, for that I treat it naturally like the turn signal, where I don't actually look at it.

As a sanity check, I tried to think what kind of videos would people shift into reverse and the first thought is driver test videos. And the first result I found that they had a camera on both the driver and the shifter, sure enough the person looked down at the shifter to reverse (around 3:30):
Here's the second result (1:20 in), and driver looked down:
And the third (3:51 in driver looked down to shift into drive, 4:30 a different driver looked down to shift to reverse):

I'm not going to bother going further down the list, but from the results I think the people who DON'T look down at the shifter when switching between drive and reverse is probably the unusual ones!
2 down. Only 999,998 to go! Going to be a long night! LOL

2 down. Only 999,998 to go! Going to be a long night! LOL
I edited the post, and actually the more I go down the list of results, the more I found and I didn't come to a single example yet of someone NOT looking down. So far there are 4 people in the 3 videos I found and I'm not going to bother going down the list because it seems pretty clear that looking down at the shifter to switch between reverse and drive is a fairly common thing to do. In fact, probably people on the flip side need to prove how common it is for people to shift into reverse without looking at the shifter.