Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, getting excited way too much here. now started reading up on the 5K supercharging miles that my sales guy was bragging about when we put in our order at the dealership. He specifically told me that the 5K supercharging miles has no expiration and will just deminish as i use it, but could potentially build up if i refer other people for purchasing a Tesla.

He was flat out lying to me, right? Been reading on the posts that the 5K supercharging expires in 6 months, that's even if you get it. Saw some posts that it didn't even reflect on their app. Anyone know the scoop??? I know it's not alot of money, but i was hoping to use those only when i go on long trips. i currently have an L2 charger for my Leaf and will just charge at home mostly, but would have been nice if i had it, without expiring..
AFAIK, there are NO supercharging miles included with the Model 3, ever. If you use a referral code when ordering your car, you and the referrer each get 1000 free miles of supercharging (there was a recent promotion that expired 5/28/19, where each got 5000 miles instead of the 1000 miles). The free miles expire when they are depleted. At least this is my understanding.

AFAIK, there are NO supercharging miles included with the Model 3, ever. If you use a referral code when ordering your car, you and the referrer each get 1000 free miles of supercharging (there was a recent promotion that expired 5/28/19, where each got 5000 miles instead of the 1000 miles). The free miles expire when they are depleted. At least this is my understanding.

Yes, i used my friend's referral code, for he bought a Model X, and i did order mine before the 5/28 cutoff. So, are you saying i SHOULD get the 5K miles WITHOUT expiring, and will just get used up as i use it? that will be awesome if it's true. i can't even verify it for i don't have a car and the App is useless as this time. I looked around on the account site and there's nothing in there about your supercharging miles.

Guys, getting excited way too much here. now started reading up on the 5K supercharging miles that my sales guy was bragging about when we put in our order at the dealership. He specifically told me that the 5K supercharging miles has no expiration and will just deminish as i use it, but could potentially build up if i refer other people for purchasing a Tesla.

He was flat out lying to me, right? Been reading on the posts that the 5K supercharging expires in 6 months, that's even if you get it. Saw some posts that it didn't even reflect on their app. Anyone know the scoop??? I know it's not alot of money, but i was hoping to use those only when i go on long trips. i currently have an L2 charger for my Leaf and will just charge at home mostly, but would have been nice if i had it, without expiring..
If you dig around on here it's 5,000 miles to be used during 6 months. Every referral you stack gives you 5,000 more miles and another 6months to use it.

Yep. Lots of inventory in NJ area today. No LRRWD of course.
Unfortunately I don’t think they would ever put LR RWD in inventory during Q2 (or at all). Since it’s something they don’t sell online they probably don’t want to confuse people looking and then wanting to order a custom one online just to find it’s not there. I think they also never displayed LR RWD used after they became a "off menu" option, so the only way you found out about them were sales searching internal inventory for you (not for sure about this).

Last edited:
If you dig around on here it's 5,000 miles to be used during 6 months. Every referral you stack gives you 5,000 more miles and another 6months to use it.
Okay looked it up just now on Tesla referral website. I stand corrected on one count, and re-confirmed it's 1000 miles not 5000 miles:
"You and anyone using your referral code to buy a Tesla will receive 1,000 free Supercharger miles!":
"Free Supercharger miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account, and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. Each additional referral will extend the expiration date by 6 months."

Unfortunately I don’t think they would ever put LR RWD in inventory during Q2 (or at all). Since it’s something they don’t sell online they probably don’t want to confuse people looking and then wanting to order a custom one online just to find it’s not there. I think they also never displayed LR RWD used after they became a "off menu" option, so the only way you found out about them were sales searching internal inventory for you (not for sure about this).
Having done a side by side comparison of consumer inventory page vs. Tesla insider inventory page while hunting down my car, yes the off-menu configs are NOT visible to consumer.

This board is a small sample size, but it is probably enough of a sample size that when the next batch is built, we will hear it here first.

On someone's recommendation, I cruised Youtube fo Tesla factory videos. Its really worth a watch, IMO, just for the sheer scale of what it takes to put a car together. In particular, there is a video fo Elon himself walking through the factory with the youtuber and its astonishing how much detail Musk knows, and you can see all of the thousands and thousands of parts in the factory.

Frankly, its astonishing that they get any built at all. Also, it explains why you could be selling cars like crazy and somehow lose money as a company. The fixed costs are so incredibly high, and the possiblity of delay is also so high, that it becomes clear.

In one section, after seeing these incredible robots, Musk mentions something to the effect of "yeah, its great, but if one of them freezes at 2:00 a.m., shutting down the line, first its an emergency call to the elite robot engineeing team, and the next thing you know I'm flying back from Germany."

One surprise is that the color is chosen first. I guess its obvious but the cars are fully painted and then move through the assembly line.

But one thing is clear, its that if they had to choose, they would rather do two models, a SR+, and an LR AWD, than three or four. The LR RWD is different enough (essentially you need a completey different battery pack/engine set up ready at the point where the battery pack is joined to the rest of the car) that you can't really easily switch back and forth. Plus, the dash/control panel is installed as a unit, and that would be slightly different for a RWD vs. a AWD.

Armchair engineering here as I am not privy to Tesla's schematics, but in my own electric designs motor wiring goes to motor controller. I'd suspect the dash hardware is identical between the two, with the dash connected to the controller box under the rear seat as well. Obviously a different dash software is programmed (i.e. motor graphics, vehicle config page, etc.).

Did you watch the Ars Technica factory tour vids? Those are by far the most detailed.

Just got a text message about delivery reminder and to start getting paperwork together. Emailed my sales person to confirm what is going on. Fingers crossed.
I got a text message this morning as well saying the following. My stuff has all been filled out for a out 2 weeks now lol .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190608-125230__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190608-125230__01.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 64