Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's completely reasonable and done all the time. I love Tesla as much as any of us, but not being able to easily produce RWD units is not why we are waiting. Can't fault them though, they are managing the business as they should.

I will probably get my car and then stop thinking about this, but having no experience in manufacturing it would be interesting if someone who has experience or even experience in car manufacturing would know.

It occurred to me that Model 3's are somewhat like hamburgers. You can have a single, a double, a double cheeseburger, a double double cheeseburger hold the ketchup, etc.

When you apply that to a car the key difference between a SR+ and a LR RWD seems to just be a bigger battery, otherwise the cars would be identical. A few days ago someone said that the thing is that all of the bigger battery packs have front wiring for the second engine, but one wonders how difficult it is to remove that wiring.

I concluded that there must be more to it than that. Maybe the battery packs, which must weigh so much that I doubt they are lifted by hand, are pre-loaded to proceed to the assembly line via conveyor, and to run off a couple of thousand LR RWD's you need to not just change one battery pack, but pre-load 3,000 for efficiency.

That would be a reason for making them in batches. But I confess I am making all of this up, frankly.

I will probably get my car and then stop thinking about this, but having no experience in manufacturing it would be interesting if someone who has experience or even experience in car manufacturing would know.

It occurred to me that Model 3's are somewhat like hamburgers. You can have a single, a double, a double cheeseburger, a double double cheeseburger hold the ketchup, etc.

When you apply that to a car the key difference between a SR+ and a LR RWD seems to just be a bigger battery, otherwise the cars would be identical. A few days ago someone said that the thing is that all of the bigger battery packs have front wiring for the second engine, but one wonders how difficult it is to remove that wiring.

I concluded that there must be more to it than that. Maybe the battery packs, which must weigh so much that I doubt they are lifted by hand, are pre-loaded to proceed to the assembly line via conveyor, and to run off a couple of thousand LR RWD's you need to not just change one battery pack, but pre-load 3,000 for efficiency.

That would be a reason for making them in batches. But I confess I am making all of this up, frankly.
Well don't forget about the premium interior. It's more like a LR AWD without the front motor.

Either way Im sure they have to load that whole configuration on an assembly conveyor of some sort. Then upload software that identifies the build as LR RWD.

Which I'm happy to buy the $35 adapter but then its a 50k car. Its like buying the new MacBook pro but then I have to spend another $10 for an adapter for USB devices. Just throw it in the box.....

Not a good analogy since USB is universal, but 240V adapters are not. Some people need 14-50, some others 14-30 like myself, some need a 6-15, and many don’t (yet) need any other than the included 120V adapter because they rely on superchargers and/or other kinds of level 2 charging. Not including it reduces waste by allowing people to think and order only what they need.

Last edited:
Not a good analogy since USB is universal, but 240V adapters are not. Some people need 14-50, some others 14-30 like myself, some need a 6-15, and many don’t (yet) need any other than the included 120V adapter because they rely on superchargers alone and/or don’t have level 2 at home. Not including it reduces waste by allowing people to think and order only what they need.
Sure, maybe you don't need that exact one, but exactly my point. Tesla is the leader (so far) with electric cars, so they should just supply and help you with what you need at delivery. Maybe when u pick up your car, they ask you what you need to charge at home and hand you that adapter. Unless you buy the Tesla wall charger. These adapters are pennies to produce.

UPDATE:
Checked this morning at DC, my VIN is still in Canada. Just now checked my Tesla account page, second delivery attempt now scheduled for 6/16 woohoo. That would be 33 days after initial order.

Just had a similar update- My adviser called me this afternoon and said my car is still in Canada and they don’t expect the batch of cars to be moved until 6/15-6/21. Checked my account this evening and the delivery date updated to 6/13. He assured by me I’ll get my car by 6/21.

OMG....there is nooooo such thing as an old model 3...

I did my homework and came to the same conclusion as you ....I even looked at all wheel drive and thought shorter-range more expensive and I don't need the added acceleration.... long-range rear-wheel-drive is plenty ....being up here in Canada long range rear wheel drive is pretty awesome in the snow ...four wheel drive not required ...hence my order for long-range rear wheel drive in white with full self-driving I will wait...☝️

I just wanted clarification around an older VIN since some are coming with HW2.5 or HW3.0 My advisor told me not to worry about that so just needed more info.
Didn’t mean the car was old.

Just had a similar update- My adviser called me this afternoon and said my car is still in Canada and they don’t expect the batch of cars to be moved until 6/15-6/21. Checked my account this evening and the delivery date updated to 6/13. He assured by me I’ll get my car by 6/21.

I don’t get it. They built the car in Fremont but decided to send it through Canada on it’s way to a California customer?

I don’t get it. They built the car in Fremont but decided to send it through Canada on it’s way to a California customer?
I was told they are just trying to fill the orders as they were placed. There were apparently a bunch of cars that meet the request/builds that are “waiting to be matched” in Canada. So now they matched them to requests here and are transporting them back to meet the deadline. I ordered on 5/18.

I was told they are just trying to fill the orders as they were placed. There were apparently a bunch of cars that meet the request/builds that are “waiting to be matched” in Canada. So now they matched them to requests here and are transporting them back to meet the deadline. I ordered on 5/18.
Nice! Slowly getting closer to me. 5.19 come on! Next week!

Signed up for an account just to post this.

I just received a call from the advisor and he told me that since there's 1000+ orders of the LR RWD currently waiting in the US, management has decided to spend a few days to produce the cars to fulfill these orders before the end of the month.

Perhaps everyone will be leaving the waiting room together! *insert Oprah gif*
I am encouraged to hear this but have learned never to fully believe anything someone at Tesla tells us. I always try to fact check and corroborate. In this regard I have been checking the new inventory levels at several of the larger metro areas around the country since I ordered my LR RWD two weeks ago. Inventory levels have been shockingly low or existent for all trim versions, even in places like New York and Chicago showing no cars available on some days. Then a few days ago, a few M3 Performance cars started showing up in current inventory. But tonight, there is LOTS of inventory showing in large numbers at most of the places I have been checking and have included every trim Tesla sells, except for the LR RWD trim. It seems they have finally caught up with the current demand for all those trims and now are beginning to show currently uncommitted and ready to sell inventory.

What I am guessing (and really hoping!) that this means the LR RWD models really will get a production run in time for the 6/30 deadline. If Tesla indeed has orders for 1,000 LR RWD cars, they will need to produce and deliver these by 6/30 to maximize Q2 sales. This would be wise on Tesla's part since they are apparently meeting the demand for all the other trims and can make the LR RWD without taking production capacity from a higher profit margin trim.

Reactions: westcoast88
Guys, getting excited way too much here. now started reading up on the 5K supercharging miles that my sales guy was bragging about when we put in our order at the dealership. He specifically told me that the 5K supercharging miles has no expiration and will just deminish as i use it, but could potentially build up if i refer other people for purchasing a Tesla.

He was flat out lying to me, right? Been reading on the posts that the 5K supercharging expires in 6 months, that's even if you get it. Saw some posts that it didn't even reflect on their app. Anyone know the scoop??? I know it's not alot of money, but i was hoping to use those only when i go on long trips. i currently have an L2 charger for my Leaf and will just charge at home mostly, but would have been nice if i had it, without expiring..