Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Air Makes Debut, Deliveries Planned for Spring 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lucid Motors debuted the production-bound version of its Lucid Air sedan, saying the vehicle is an attempt to “make the electric car better.”

Range is a huge selling point for electric vehicles and Lucid intends to take top honors in that category. It expects an EPA-rated range of 517 miles on a single charge. The company also plans neck-jerking power with with up to 1,080 horsepower available in a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive configuration capable of a quarter-mile pass in 9.9 seconds. It is the only electric sedan able to achieve a quarter-mile time under 10 seconds.

Lucid also says the Air will be the fastest charging electric vehicle ever offered, up to 20 miles per minute when connected to a DC Fast Charging network. The says the car can add 300 miles of range in just 20 minutes of charging.

Lucid has given special attention to the interior, touting a 34-inch curved “Glass Cockpit” 5K display that “floats” above the dashboard. Touch screen panel in the console offers vehicle controls.

lucid-air-interior-04-1024x704.jpg

The Lucid Air will be available initially in North America in four model ranges:

The Air, the starting point for the lineup, available in 2022 and starting below $80,000 ($72,500 after USA federal tax credit)The Air Touring model, available late 2021, from $95,000 ($87,500 after USA federal tax credit)The fully equipped Air Grand Touring, available mid 2021, from $139,000 ($131,500 after USA federal tax credit)The all-inclusive, limited-volume Air Dream Edition, available spring 2021, at $169,000 ($161,500 after USA federal tax credit)

The Lucid Air Dream Edition packs 1,080 horsepower. It’s available in Stellar White, Infinite Black, or a Dream Edition-exclusive Eureka Gold finish. Each color will come with an exclusive “Santa Monica” themed interior trim package, including full Nappa grain Bridge of Weir leather throughout and silvered Eucalyptus wood accents. The Dream Edition will also feature 21-inch “AeroDream” wheels.

The Touring and Grand Touring Editions offer 620hp and 800hp, respectively. The Air Grand Touring will have range available up 517 miles. Full details of available configurations and all Air models can be found on the Lucid Motors website following the reveal show on September 9, 2020.

Production at the Lucid Motors factory in Casa Grande, Arizona, will begin in the coming months, with deliveries of the Lucid Air to North American customers to commence in spring of 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what does Spring 2021 and Mid 2021 mean?

Spring 2021 officially starts March 20th and Summer starts June 20th. So that means somewhere between March 20 and June 20.
Mid 2021 I guess is July 1st. So is Mid June 1st thru August 31st.

So are we talking likely June and August 1st deliveries?

Kind of a let down event, those colors are hidious to me, reminds me of my grandma's old Lincoln. Great specs. Ugly trunk. Interested to see if their miniaturized motor is reliable but without any real sub $100K offerings we won't see many out and about. Unfortunately, not the competition needed for Tesla to up their game on fit and finish, customer service, etc.

Last edited:
Looks nice but maybe I'm not into racing or care how fast I can hit the quarter-mile mark. Even after 'tax credits' it still is expensive and I have to ask...what am I getting for my money beyond just a basic electric car? If I drive from Dallas to Virginia where do I charge, and if I have a mechanical problem, who do I call? Will parts be available to me, any repair shop, or will I have to wait several months for inventory buildup, or certified technicians?

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Looks nice but maybe I'm not into racing or care how fast I can hit the quarter-mile mark. Even after 'tax credits' it still is expensive and I have to ask...what am I getting for my money beyond just a basic electric car? If I drive from Dallas to Virginia where do I charge, and if I have a mechanical problem, who do I call? Will parts be available to me, any repair shop, or will I have to wait several months for inventory buildup, or certified technicians?

Sounds like Bolt would have been perfect for you, but yet you chose a Tesla who has the same issues after purchase as Lucid.

It looks pretty luxurious + it has quite a bit more range than the Model S. Price seems decent too. With that much range, the CCS network is more than enough.

I don't care about any of the performance stuff. IMO these are giant barges and the fun factor on a real track is less than a '95 Miata. Quick 0-60 times are like truck nuts or massive pointless brodozer truck lifts, but for nerds and boomers who have a good credit score.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Where are the charging stations compared to Supercharger stations? Where and how fast are batteries being made for these cars?
It took Tesla ten years to reach this point in time. It has been seven years since the Model S rolled off the line with great success.
Tax incentive or not, who wants to be the first one on the block to purchase the car?
GM, Ford and the rest wet their drawers instead of taking on Tesla. Toyota said they were putting one of the in-laws on the job of moving the Prius to all electric ~ damned crickets. That was three, or more years ago:-(
At what point is speed just a thing? If safety is not your first priority, then maybe you should rethink your driving habits.

Where are the charging stations compared to Supercharger stations? Where and how fast are batteries being made for these cars?
It took Tesla ten years to reach this point in time. It has been seven years since the Model S rolled off the line with great success.
Tax incentive or not, who wants to be the first one on the block to purchase the car?
GM, Ford and the rest wet their drawers instead of taking on Tesla. Toyota said they were putting one of the in-laws on the job of moving the Prius to all electric ~ damned crickets. That was three, or more years ago:-(
At what point is speed just a thing? If safety is not your first priority, then maybe you should rethink your driving habits.

Lucid has been working on EV battery packs of awhile. A manufacturer capable of getting a 113kWh pack to go 517 miles and match a Porsche in performance can compete.

Lucid has been working on EV battery packs of awhile. A manufacturer capable of getting a 113kWh pack to go 517 miles and match a Porsche in performance can compete.

Yes, I read that too. But where is the production mega factory to support production (battery & car)? How many gigafactory's?

I personally support EV competition, I would just like to see results. Has Tesla's recent success breathed new life into those that were pipe dreams dried up? Toyota never stepped up to the plate. Volvo, owned three of them and took possession of one of the first 960's in Europe, is sadly moping along.

Ten battery packs a year do not bring the price of production down or create a retail following. Lucid has been all talk and no show up to this point.

My point is that 300 mile range is the tipping point ~ and why I never got too serious over a "Leaf." A million mile battery life is a game changer as most fossil fuel lovers change horses amid stream like drinking water (beer) or 65,000 mines whichever comes first.

Tesla's goal is maintenance free ~ am not saying they are there yet. Fossil fuel is every six months taking time and money from your pocket. Oh yeah, and creating fear, by crying wolf and the need for an extended warranty after a year and a half of ownership.

GM was to have established charging stations, unfortunately they ended up like old pay phone booths once cell phones dominated the retail market.

The whole package must be thought through or it is just a battery without a charge.:rolleyes: Will Lucid use Tesla Superchargers? How many third party EV charging stations are successfully up and deployed to support all these new EVs? Not just the range. . . Will the third party chargers charge fast enough?

Tesla/Elon said he is working on providing battery packs (chaises or skateboards) so other EV manufactures can build their car body on top of Tesla's battery. Other than a battery pack, two to four motors and a set of tires ~ not much too it.:D

Once Tesla builds a small car that can withstand the destruction derby of Italy, game over.:eek:

Yes, I read that too. But where is the production mega factory to support production (battery & car)? How many gigafactory's?

I personally support EV competition, I would just like to see results. Has Tesla's recent success breathed new life into those that were pipe dreams dried up? Toyota never stepped up to the plate. Volvo, owned three of them and took possession of one of the first 960's in Europe, is sadly moping along.

Ten battery packs a year do not bring the price of production down or create a retail following. Lucid has been all talk and no show up to this point.

My point is that 300 mile range is the tipping point ~ and why I never got too serious over a "Leaf." A million mile battery life is a game changer as most fossil fuel lovers change horses amid stream like drinking water (beer) or 65,000 mines whichever comes first.

Tesla's goal is maintenance free ~ am not saying they are there yet. Fossil fuel is every six months taking time and money from your pocket. Oh yeah, and creating fear, by crying wolf and the need for an extended warranty after a year and a half of ownership.

GM was to have established charging stations, unfortunately they ended up like old pay phone booths once cell phones dominated the retail market.

The whole package must be thought through or it is just a battery without a charge.:rolleyes: Will Lucid use Tesla Superchargers? How many third party EV charging stations are successfully up and deployed to support all these new EVs? Not just the range. . . Will the third party chargers charge fast enough?
You don’t need production mega factory or GF for the segment Lucid is targeting right now. Just as Tesla didn’t with Roadster and first years of S.

Lucid has been all talk, no production, except in battery pack technology. See Formula E.
All startups go through this, but Lucid has the DNA.

Range is big for many Americans right now. That’s not true all over, and in the future robo taxis and charging improvements marginalize range advantages.

Tesla’s goal is to make money off of disrupting antiquated industries, transportation, but really energy usage at large. Its warranties are increasingly poor.

Charging ecosystem isn’t an issue. It’s like worrying about whether you should get 4G when 4G wasn’t yet prominent

The Lucid Dream looks like the only near-term available product. and it's north of $150K. The overall message I got from the reveal is 'luxury' and 'miniaturization.' They use the word 'miniaturization' numerous times during the presentation and 'efficiency'. The core info I got was a luxury 4-door car. Not fond of the shape, the large cabin in the back infers that it is a limousine, upper end. My take is that the 1/4 mile times are just a benchmark to 'beat' Tesla. Sure, with a 130KW battery, stands to reason that the range is higher. At this time I don't see them as competition to Tesla's Model 3 and Model Y cars for the mainstream market. With rumors of a low-cost compact Tesla, it seems the future for the mass market is a lower cost point. There are lots of high-end cars out there, but for true integration of electric cars into the mainstream for everyman it has to be attainable by all classes of income.

Lucid announced their car will sell for $160,000.00 and will charge off 'Electrify America' chargers. It was a short news item. I was shocked at the price tag. Did I not read that they were going to be sold for around $128,000.00? Either way, I am not interested.

The Lucid Dream looks like the only near-term available product. and it's north of $150K. The overall message I got from the reveal is 'luxury' and 'miniaturization.' They use the word 'miniaturization' numerous times during the presentation and 'efficiency'. The core info I got was a luxury 4-door car. Not fond of the shape, the large cabin in the back infers that it is a limousine, upper end. My take is that the 1/4 mile times are just a benchmark to 'beat' Tesla. Sure, with a 130KW battery, stands to reason that the range is higher. At this time I don't see them as competition to Tesla's Model 3 and Model Y cars for the mainstream market. With rumors of a low-cost compact Tesla, it seems the future for the mass market is a lower cost point. There are lots of high-end cars out there, but for true integration of electric cars into the mainstream for everyman it has to be attainable by all classes of income.
Lucid is using a 113kW pack to achieve the range. That’s impressive, but chasing range is becoming a fool’s errand if it results in S Class price with a fairly modest rear cabin and $95k Model S launch.

I think Lucid’s trickledown approach, similar to Tesla’s, is apt. Want to make driving EVs mainstream? Start with making them aspirational.