Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P Auto wipers on when in Autopilot normal? [yes]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep my windshield pretty clean most of the time. (I clean it regularly between full washes) I hate a dirty windshield. With that said, I haven't had any issues with the wiper activating while using autopilot in dry conditions.

CN: Check your windshield for streaks, dirt, bugs and smudges up by the camera. That is likely what is causing the wipers to activate in dry conditions.

The adaptive cruise control on this vehicle is the worst of any car I’ve driven. It slows down for no particular reason. The brakes slam on whenever I’m rounding a curve there’s a large vehicle (truck or bus) coming in the opposite lane (this has forced drivers behind me to screech to a halt to avoid rear ending me!). On top of that, cruise control forces the wiper mode to “auto” at which point the wipers come on full blast if I happen to be driving into the late afternoon sun. And yes, I’ve cleaned the windshield.

The answer to all these complaints from Tesla service is “It’s in Beta”. So I’ve paid $12k extra for FSD and yet cruise control and rain-sensitive wipers (features that work perfectly in my Jeep and Nissan) are practically unusable.

Is it fun to go from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds? You bet! But the thrill wears off quickly when my car inexplicably slows down to 18 mph in 45 mph zone for absolutely no friggin’ reason. I’d sell this garbage and get a better made vehicle if only I wasn’t in the hole from a financing POV.

Reactions: jkdman123
I’m pretty sure TACC is not part of the 12k FSD package and that TACC comes as a standard feature in all cars.

I’ve used TACC for over 5 years in my car. Not once has anyone driving behind me needed to ‘screech to a halt’. Are you not aware when people are tailgating you at high speed? It has to be at high speed as only then would screeching tires be involved. When you see someone tailgating at high speed, do you not try and change that situation for your own safety? Like move over into the right lane to let them pass? Use a turnout/pull over?

TACC does not brake for no reason. There’s definitely a reason, you just haven’t anticipated or noticed the reason. It could be a shadow, a bird flying low across the front of the car, a plastic bag or other object that the car picks up, an unusual road sign the car doesn’t recognize. It could be from odd or confusing markings on the road, or the camera being blinded momentarily by
light, dirt, a bug. TACC will even brake when it can’t see the road ahead; like coming over a rise. And it’ll definitely brake if you’re entering a sharper curve in the road at a speed greater than the camera and computer can interpret - typically the car is right and slowing a bit for the curve in the road is warranted. TACC is not used for racing.

The wipers coming on at odd times does occasionally happen. I’ve found they’re more reliable now than ever, but if it annoys you that much, simply get in the habit of manually taking them out of auto when you engage TACC. Shouldn’t be that big a deal since in TACC you have less to do as a driver anyway and it only takes a second to change the setting.

If you find the current TACC feature unusable then stop using it until the next OTA when perhaps the feature will be improved for you or until you rectify your financial situation and can choose a vehicle more to your liking.

Welcome to the forum. You may not be aware, but there is a search function. You can easily find other threads already created about this topic. There you can read about others with the same complaint and commiserate with them. Perhaps they can offer you some solutions or moral support.

The original poster has valid points. I’ve noticed with TACC that going around a slight curve or turn, at the speed limit, and with a large truck or bus coming towards you on opposite lane the car will slam on its brakes. It’s very frustrating. So I’ve just done normal cruise control. There’s several gentle turns I take that it typically happens.

I haven’t been able to disable the auto feature for the wipers while using TACC. When you press any other option it just reverts back to auto. Was this changed recently?

Just to level set
“Autopilot includes two features: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer. TACC matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic while Autosteer assists with steering within a clearly marked lane while TACC is engaged”
Autosteer, commonly known as AP has a paid enhancement, upgrade of EAP. EAP adds to AP:
  • Navigate on Autopilot: Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit.
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged.
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch.
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key.
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot

Reactions: GrinchKing
Perhaps I just havent driven many vehicles with TACC, but IMHO, my Tesla is probably the best I've used. The occasional breaking is annoying but I just hover my foot above the throttle when I anticipate it (which is 99% effective).

If I could change one thing, however, it would be to brake a little earlier/less aggressive when using autopilot and coming to a stop behind someone at a redlight. I've never come close to hitting the car in front of me or anything, but I'm sure it makes the driver of the car in front crap their pants haha. I also dont want to get rear-ended.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
My Model Y is the greatest car I've ever owned. I am disappointed with the auto wipers, auto high beams, and climate control compared to other cars, yes, but in my experience the Auto Steering and TACC have been really good. Only occasional phantom braking, and just one single phantom collision avoidance activation in 2 years. So I like what we get included with the car for "free". Personally, I don't understand why anyone would purchase FSD given how little additional it adds for the price, but that is probably because I'm not wealthy enough to try such luxuries just for fun.

The original poster has valid points. I’ve noticed with TACC that going around a slight curve or turn, at the speed limit, and with a large truck or bus coming towards you on opposite lane the car will slam on its brakes. It’s very frustrating. So I’ve just done normal cruise control. There’s several gentle turns I take that it typically happens.

I haven’t been able to disable the auto feature for the wipers while using TACC. When you press any other option it just reverts back to auto. Was this changed recently?
When they moved to an all camera based auto driving protocol and disabled the radar sensors it necessitated engaging the auto wiper function because the system needs the windshield mounted cam to have a clear view in order to function. They determined that they couldn't rely on the driver to clear the windshield fast enough or well enough by manually using the wipers so they took the driver out of the loop. Sounds good in theory, but like most of the new features they introduce, it was (and still is) buggy, causing the wipers to come sometimes even when the windshield is clean and there's no rain.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
When they moved to an all camera based auto driving protocol and disabled the radar sensors it necessitated engaging the auto wiper function because the system needs the windshield mounted cam to have a clear view in order to function. They determined that they couldn't rely on the driver to clear the windshield fast enough or well enough by manually using the wipers so they took the driver out of the loop. Sounds good in theory, but like most of the new features they introduce, it was (and still is) buggy, causing the wipers to come sometimes even when the windshield is clean and there's no rain.
That’s fair, I just wish they had a way to override that. I drive past a bunch of farms and backroads so it’s bug infested. After a few large bugs hit the windshield the automatic wipers start going crazy. First couple times it’s funny. Now it’s annoying. But besides that minor annoyance it’s an amazing car.

That’s fair, I just wish they had a way to override that. I drive past a bunch of farms and backroads so it’s bug infested. After a few large bugs hit the windshield the automatic wipers start going crazy. First couple times it’s funny. Now it’s annoying. But besides that minor annoyance it’s an amazing car.
The problem with an override is the possibility that you have TACC or autopilot engaged and it loses sight of the forward view then it would basically be driving blind and thus, wouldn't brake for any hazards in front of the car. If the system were designed for you to be able to drive blind it would be a monumental liability for the company, regardless of all the warnings they may give the driver.

I’m pretty sure TACC is not part of the 12k FSD package and that TACC comes as a standard feature in all cars.

I’ve used TACC for over 5 years in my car. Not once has anyone driving behind me needed to ‘screech to a halt’. Are you not aware when people are tailgating you at high speed? It has to be at high speed as only then would screeching tires be involved. When you see someone tailgating at high speed, do you not try and change that situation for your own safety? Like move over into the right lane to let them pass? Use a turnout/pull over?

TACC does not brake for no reason. There’s definitely a reason, you just haven’t anticipated or noticed the reason. It could be a shadow, a bird flying low across the front of the car, a plastic bag or other object that the car picks up, an unusual road sign the car doesn’t recognize. It could be from odd or confusing markings on the road, or the camera being blinded momentarily by
light, dirt, a bug. TACC will even brake when it can’t see the road ahead; like coming over a rise. And it’ll definitely brake if you’re entering a sharper curve in the road at a speed greater than the camera and computer can interpret - typically the car is right and slowing a bit for the curve in the road is warranted. TACC is not used for racing.

The wipers coming on at odd times does occasionally happen. I’ve found they’re more reliable now than ever, but if it annoys you that much, simply get in the habit of manually taking them out of auto when you engage TACC. Shouldn’t be that big a deal since in TACC you have less to do as a driver anyway and it only takes a second to change the setting.

If you find the current TACC feature unusable then stop using it until the next OTA when perhaps the feature will be improved for you or until you rectify your financial situation and can choose a vehicle more to your liking.

Welcome to the forum. You may not be aware, but there is a search function. You can easily find other threads already created about this topic. There you can read about others with the same complaint and commiserate with them. Perhaps they can offer you some solutions or moral support.

There’s no bird. There’s no bag. There’s no dirt. It brakes on its own. I have a video of the car slowing from 45 to 17 for NO REASON AT ALL. You may not have experienced this because maybe there’s nothing wrong with your car. But there’s clearly something wrong with mine and being told by Service that “it’s in Beta” as the only answer is infuriating.

The problem with an override is the possibility that you have TACC or autopilot engaged and it loses sight of the forward view then it would basically be driving blind and thus, wouldn't brake for any hazards in front of the car. If the system were designed for you to be able to drive blind it would be a monumental liability for the company, regardless of all the warnings they may give the driver.
True. I see what your saying. Tesla needs to cover their liability. I was just stating what I find annoying and what could be better. Our Honda has an “autopilot” feature but it’s not tied to the windshield wipers going crazy. But it uses radar vs cameras. And most Tesla owners probably don’t live 30 miles out in the country and drive twisty/hilly roads into work every day like this crazy guy. I swear some of the bugs out here purposely fly into my windshield just to irritate Me

There’s no bird. There’s no bag. There’s no dirt. It brakes on its own. I have a video of the car slowing from 45 to 17 for NO REASON AT ALL. You may not have experienced this because maybe there’s nothing wrong with your car. But there’s clearly something wrong with mine and being told by Service that “it’s in Beta” as the only answer is infuriating.
Exactly, Phantom braking is real and has been a problem for the 4 yrs I've owned the car. And no, it doesn't always happen for some tangible reason. And anyone who anecdotally has not experienced phantom braking has no relevance to those that have experienced it.

Exactly, Phantom braking is real and has been a problem for the 4 yrs I've owned the car. And no, it doesn't always happen for some tangible reason. And anyone who anecdotally has not experienced phantom braking has no relevance to those that have experienced it.
Mine did this after getting a *brand new* windshield installed from the Tesla service station. Never happened before. Now TACC and autopilot are essentially useless.
Yes! My experience exactly. And yet the Tesla service people just tell me it’s because it’s in “Beta”. I mean, it was in Beta BEFORE you changed my windshield and I had comparatively few issues. Now it’s a mess. Frustrated as hell.