Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve watched a German YouTube video on the charging issue with the Chinese battery pack. There were problems with it (in a previous videos they only managed some low figures) but a software update has fixed that it seems. He got about 130kW when he charged the car (driven down to 15% with partial conditioning - they didn’t use Superchargers).

Thanks for that. Many of us have watched that video and some other similar ones very closely indeed. Quite worrying that LFP batteries had such slow Supercharging speeds. Great to hear that the software update has improved things.

I’m still somewhat frustrated that Tesla couldn’t confirm if the Long Range M3 I’m collecting next week has an LFP battery for not. I think we are all fairly confident now that it doesn’t.

But still! Come on Tesla! The battery is like 40% of the value of my car. Which one is it Elon?

Ahh well. This is the exciting mystery we are all buying into.

Really good comparison of a UK MiC and a Q4 2020 Freemont by R Symons here:

Didn't realise the door speaker grills had changed.

Also seems they've changed the material of the under carriage part that was prone to ripping off when going through a puddle.

Still no PWS.

That would be a bonus about the undercarriage as so far thats the only thing that has had me slightly concerned.

Well, after starting this topic, I feel like I can answer some of my own questions now, having taken delivery of my Made In China M3 LR.

First impressions after 4 days of ownership is that build quality is very good. The paint looks great. No marks I can see. No panel gap issues. The interior looks great too.

The car does have a heated steering wheel along with wood door trim auto boot lift gate. However the Boombox feature is not showing on the screen. So perhaps a future software update may activate this. I’d be keen to know what others think.

The car is showing a range of 331 miles on a full charge, which I understand is to be expected. However it’s only done 70 miles so could still be calibrating.

Any thoughts on how I check what battery the car come with?

Reactions: 808? and ACarneiro
Well, after starting this topic, I feel like I can answer some of my own questions now, having taken delivery of my Made In China M3 LR.

First impressions after 4 days of ownership is that build quality is very good. The paint looks great. No marks I can see. No panel gap issues. The interior looks great too.

The car does have a heated steering wheel along with wood door trim auto boot lift gate. However the Boombox feature is not showing on the screen. So perhaps a future software update may activate this. I’d be keen to know what others think.

The car is showing a range of 331 miles on a full charge, which I understand is to be expected. However it’s only done 70 miles so could still be calibrating.

Any thoughts on how I check what battery the car come with?
The boombox feature only seems to work with cars that have the external speaker. European models don’t currently come with the external speaker. Though the wiring loom is present, so could potentially be a retrofit.

The V5 states the LR variant is “E5D”. Research shows this relates to the LG Chem NMC 77 kWh battery.

The boombox feature only seems to work with cars that have the external speaker. European models don’t currently come with the external speaker. Though the wiring loom is present, so could potentially be a retrofit.

The V5 states the LR variant is “E5D”. Research shows this relates to the LG Chem NMC 77 kWh battery.
The LG Chem battery is capped at 74.5kwH. Pulled this from the mega thread on the 2021 Batteries from the main part of the Forum. However I believe that the latest update has helped with Supercharging speeds.

Screenshot_1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Llama. and alloverx
The LG Chem battery is capped at 74.5kwH. Pulled this from the mega thread on the 2021 Batteries from the main part of the Forum. However I believe that the latest update has helped with Supercharging speeds.

View attachment 643518
Indeed, 77 kWh total, 74.5 kWh available.

Blimey, there's some severe hand-wringing going on in that thread. Think I'll stay out of that.
The battery discussion is certainly a lively one. Personally, I figure any new batteries will start off more conservatively and Tesla may up charging rates as they obtain more data, as they have done previously. I gather charging rates for the LFP batteries have already been increased.

My LR only has a button for the rear fog light, that I’ve seen. Where are the front fog lights?

In the front bumper... 😈

But one place to find the controls are here, at least in earlier version of firmware, but I don't think they have moved.
They only become highlighted if headlights are on. Here, lights are on auto and its daylight so fog not active as headlights are not on - not that that daylight often makes much difference to whether headlights are on or not!

1615582104223.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
In the front bumper... 😈

But one place to find the controls are here, at least in earlier version of firmware, but I don't think they have moved.
They only become highlighted if headlights are on. Here, lights are on auto and its daylight so fog not active as headlights are not on - not that that daylight often makes much difference to whether headlights are on or not!

View attachment 643911
Interesting. I only have the button for rear fog lights. I’m guessing I have the front fog lights, the ones at the bottom in the bumper?