Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made in China Model 3: Build Quality / Hardware Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all those worried about cars arriving with LiFePo4 (LFP) cells, look at it this way, they are far safer as they do not burn in the way that the slightly higher capacity cobalt dosed cells do.
I have been using them on my home builds since 2008 and wouldn't dare to use a LiIon (NMC) cell on a home build.

All my cars have a BMS to protect each cell from abuse but it can happen as I have occasionally ran the pack flat then over rode the BMS to charge them up again. Doesn't do much for pack longevity but you certainly would not do that with LiIon!

You can also get a fault on the BMS which can end up overcharging a cell which on a LiIon can self ignite but can hammer a nail through a LiFePo4 cell and get away with it.

All cells have energy that will be released if damaged enough so no cell is 100% safe.

• Informative
Reactions: HKP_Tom and Derek_J
For all those worried about cars arriving with LiFePo4 (LFP) cells, look at it this way, they are far safer as they do not burn in the way that the slightly higher capacity cobalt dosed cells do.
I have been using them on my home builds since 2008 and wouldn't dare to use a LiIon (NMC) cell on a home build.

All my cars have a BMS to protect each cell from abuse but it can happen as I have occasionally ran the pack flat then over rode the BMS to charge them up again. Doesn't do much for pack longevity but you certainly would not do that with LiIon!

You can also get a fault on the BMS which can end up overcharging a cell which on a LiIon can self ignite but can hammer a nail through a LiFePo4 cell and get away with it.

All cells have energy that will be released if damaged enough so no cell is 100% safe.

As above, LiFePO4 (LFP) cells ARE lithium ion cells, they use exactly the same energy storage principle as every other lithium ion cell, i.e. lithium ion transfer from one electrode to another when charging or discharging, versus some other types of secondary cell that use changes in the cell internal chemistry as the energy storage mechanism.

In terms safety, LiFePO4 cells are a great deal less less prone to fires than LiCoO2 cells, certainly, but LiNiMnCoO2 cells (NMC) are a lot safer than LiCoO2 cells. Certainly LiNiMnCoO2 cells are not as free from fire risk as LiFePO4 cells, but they aren't far off. I did some destructive testing on a few early NMC cells, Samsung 18650s, and they behaved pretty much the same as when I did similar tests on some early Headway LiFePO4 cells, in that nothing much happened when they were punctured or crushed, other than a bit of smoke and heat from the energy discharge. Neither went up violently in flames, like the older LiCoO2 cells did under test.

Could somebody PLEASE post the first 8 digits of the VIN of a Model 3 Long Range and Standard Range+ that is scheduled to be delivered in February or March?

Based on this information we can tell whether the car was manufactured in Freemont or Shanghai. This would clarfify the origin. Only the last digits are unique so your car can not be identified.

Could somebody PLEASE post the first 8 digits of the VIN of a Model 3 Long Range and Standard Range+ that is scheduled to be delivered in February or March?

Based on this information we can tell whether the car was manufactured in Freemont or Shanghai. This would clarfify the origin. Only the last digits are unique so your car can not be identified.

from the vin decoder site, the 11th character is the plant, F for Fremont, P for Palo Alto, C for China

LRW3F7EB

All the march deliveries are all China made I think

Also worth putting some factual data against some of the claims made about rapid charge rates. For example, the CCS connector used here and in Europe has an absolute maximum current rating of 500 A, with liquid cooling. With a battery voltage of around 400 VDC, the absolute maximum rate of charge allowable without exceeding the connector rating is 200 kW. It is physically impossible for a UK/European rapid charger, that uses a CCS connector (as all new UK and European Teslas do) to charge at more than about 200 kW into a car with a ~400 V battery pack.

Cars that have a higher voltage battery pack can take advantage of the higher charge rates offered by some rapid chargers. For example, the Porsche Taycan has a battery voltage that's around double that of any Tesla, so in theory could charge at double the power for the same connector current limit.

Because of the absolute maximum connector current limit, and because all rapid chargers must ensure that the current through the cable and connector doesn't exceed this limit (it is a safety certification limit) then none are going to be able to charge a Tesla at more than about 200 kW, even if they have a theoretical rating that's higher. It may be that the connectors used in other parts of the world have a different rating, I've only checked the UK and European CCS specifications.

The higher powered DC chargers are capable of delivering higher voltages than those used by current generation Teslas (and other makes) though, so it's quite probable that they will, in the future, be able to charge cars at a higher power level, if the use of higher voltage battery packs becomes more common.
Dunno how Tesla worked around it on Superchargers but I have charged above 200kW on v3 superchargers...

Dunno how Tesla worked around it on Superchargers but I have charged above 200kW on v3 superchargers...

As mentioned above, they cheat, by rating their versions of the CCS2 connector above the official rating in the standard. In practice, what they are doing is trading temperature rise with time, and banking on the >500 A (~ >200 kW) charge time being so short as to not cause the connector to overheat to a level beyond which the indirect liquid cooling system can deal with. No real problem with taking this approach, as all CCS2 connectors have thermal sensing anyway, so the charger can just throttle back if the weather's a bit warm and the connector starts to heat up too much.

The only issue is that the dimensions of the connector pins were sized around a 500 A maximum, so there may be an issue with longevity if the 500 A absolute maximum current is exceeded on a very regular basis. The chances are this isn't going to happen, though, as few users will charge regularly at >200 kW, it's probably a fairly unusual set of circumstances that allows the car to accept a charge at this sort of level for more than a few minutes, I suspect.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Another guess would be VIN 1st 8 chars = LRW3F7FB for the China LRs. The "F" at 7th position is for a LFP battery.

But I'm not convinced that this "F" would be used, even if the battery were not exactly the same as in US LRs. That means the LRW3F7EB suggested above is just as possible.

Spoke to Tesla, the LR will have LG cells but will be lithium phosphate if this makes sense

Sounds odd, if by "lithium phosphate" the Tesla person meant LiFePO4, lithium iron phosphate, cells, as I didn't think that LG Chem made this type of cell for EV use. The LG cells used in other EVs are LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) as far as I know.

Maybe there was some confusion between cell chemistry being used in the different models, as the Shanghai plant uses CATL LiFePO4 cells for the SR+ cars, and LG Chem cells (presumably LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC)) cells in the AWD models, I thought.

Sounds odd, if by "lithium phosphate" the Tesla person meant LiFePO4, lithium iron phosphate, cells, as I didn't think that LG Chem made this type of cell for EV use. The LG cells used in other EVs are LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) as far as I know.

Maybe there was some confusion between cell chemistry being used in the different models, as the Shanghai plant uses CATL LiFePO4 cells for the SR+ cars, and LG Chem cells (presumably LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC)) cells in the AWD models, .

I think that is what they said at Battery Day last year? High cycle packs (SR+, the forthcoming $25K model) and grid-sized megapacks would use iron-based batteries. LR cars and Powerwalls would use NMC and mass-dependant (Semi and CyberTruck) would use high nickel batteries.

I think that is what they said at Battery Day last year? High cycle packs (SR+, the forthcoming $25K model) and grid-sized megapacks would use iron-based batteries. LR cars and Powerwalls would use NMC and mass-dependant (Semi and CyberTruck) would use high nickel batteries.
From Reuters and seems to suggest the LG batteries are not LFP and in fact are NMC as @Glan gluaisne states:
Tesla battery supplier LG Chem shares jump 10% on upbeat outlook

From the article:

LG Chem said its batteries have an edge over the cheaper, LFP batteries from Chinese rival and Tesla supplier CATL, saying the latter’s lower energy density makes it difficult to be used for longer-range, large cars.

“The LFP batteries can be used in relatively short-range cars which are sensitive to prices... We believe that our nickel-cobalt-manganese (NCM) batteries can be mainstream globally,” said Chang Seung-se, senior vice president at LG Chem, referring to its nickel-based batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: Zakalwe