Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious - supposedly they merged the AP and FSD stacks. If that’s the case the phantom braking should be the same between them for highway driving. Has anyone checked this?
I don't believe that AP has been merged with FSD beta, if that's what you mean. I suspect that there was once a plan to base AP on V11 FSD beta, but once Tesla decided to go all in on E2E, I expect they abandoned that plan and will base AP on V12. That's assuming that V12 pans out!

PB is, from reports here, far worse than FSD beta.

I don't believe that AP has been merged with FSD beta, if that's what you mean. I suspect that there was once a plan to base AP on V11 FSD beta, but once Tesla decided to go all in on E2E, I expect they abandoned that plan and will base AP on V12. That's assuming that V12 pans out!

PB is, from reports here, far worse than FSD beta.
I think I'm one of those reports!

Hey guys,

Just an update to this thread I started over a year ago.

The phantom braking only got worse with the updates (in addition to new bugs like the window wiper bug). After 10 months of ownership I traded in the tesla for a non-ev at a ~$30k loss (the tesla was $70k when I got it in Dec 2022 and I got $40k trade in for it, it had 4400 miles on it).

This was by far the most unsafe car I've ever owned. What made it worse is that when I told Tesla about the phantom braking issue they said just to report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In other words, we don't care until a bunch of people die or get seriously injured.

Peace!

Reactions: beachmiles
Went on a three day trip this week in my Model Y without FSD. About 1000 miles of driving through Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. Surprisingly, I had no PB events using AP at speeds up to 85 mph. Normally, I would subscribe to FSD for a month, but since there was only two days of long driving, I decided to give AP a try. Other than having to frequently disengage to pass trucks, it worked well.

Of course, it's not summertime, so heat mirages were not a factor.

Hey guys,

The phantom braking only got worse with the updates (in addition to new bugs like the window wiper bug). After 10 months of ownership I traded in the tesla for a non-ev at a ~$30k loss (the tesla was $70k when I got it in Dec 2022 and I got $40k trade in for it, it had 4400 miles on it).

This was by far the most unsafe car I've ever owned. What made it worse is that when I told Tesla about the phantom braking issue they said just to report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In other words, we don't care until a bunch of people die or get seriously injured.

Peace!
I feel bad for the company that made your new car.
I'm sure their customer services people will enjoy having you.

Hey guys,

Peace!
Thank you for stopping by our newsgroup as a non Tesla owner!

PB has been very annoying at times (couple years ago) but never unsafe. Just damn annoying.

Reactions: enemji and DanDi58
Hey guys,

Peace!
Thank you for your service and for contributing to the economy!

Reactions: Kimmi
Thank you for stopping by our newsgroup as a non Tesla owner!

PB has been very annoying at times (couple years ago) but never unsafe. Just damn annoying.
Never unsafe? So the video I posted about it causing an 8 car pile up on a San Francisco highway is "totally fine" right? It's just an "annoyance" right?

Is this a CULT or a RELIGION?

Keep eating that finger chili :)

Never unsafe? So the video I posted about it causing an 8 car pile up on a San Francisco highway is "totally fine" right? It's just an "annoyance" right?

we've all seen that video. What I haven't seen is any sort of accounting of what actually happened beyond the driver's claims. Was the car on TACC, AP, FSD or none of these? Did the driver accidentally disengage by bumping the brake or stalk? Did the system time out because s/he wasn't paying attention? Did the driver actually try to take any action (and if not, why?)

Hey guys,

Peace!

So you effectively paid $30k for cruise control by buying another car? I mean all you had to do was not use cruise control(TACC/AP...) Annoying yes, but at least you wouldn't have taken a $30k loss.

Since you have so much disposable income, would you care to donate to my kids college fund? :)

we've all seen that video. What I haven't seen is any sort of accounting of what actually happened beyond the driver's claims. Was the car on TACC, AP, FSD or none of these? Did the driver accidentally disengage by bumping the brake or stalk? Did the system time out because s/he wasn't paying attention? Did the driver actually try to take any action (and if not, why?)
According to the police report, the car was a Model S on FSD, driven by a 78 year old man. Nothing in the report suggests that the driver was doing anything unusual. It points the finger at the driver for not taking control when the braking started.

Reactions: laservet

thanks for stopping by.
we'll clean up after you.
reminder: MSM has zero advertising income from Tesla, making it a target of any exaggeration possible.
"if it burns or it bleeds....it leads" we have no way of knowing the actual truth behind those incidents.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
According to the police report, the car was a Model S on FSD, driven by a 78 year old man. Nothing in the report suggests that the driver was doing anything unusual. It points the finger at the driver for not taking control when the braking started.
Right, but the police report is the initial report based on the driver’s statement. Telemetry data from Tesla would be enormously helpful in clarifying what happened and typically is obtained during the investigation. At face value, the police report does raise the question of why the driver didn’t do anyting.

Reactions: enemji and JB47394
Well, a whole new braking experience. Phantom sort of implies 'for no visible reason' and it wasn't really that.

In a big parking lot, traveling around 2 mph with both hands on the wheel and no AP, TACC, FSDb, etc. - everything possible turned off, driving like it was a 1930 Chevy, met a car traveling around 1/2 - 1 mph, well centered in their lane and not doing anything worrisome. My MYLR slapped on the brakes, jumped into 'P' and plastered my passenger against the windshield. It wouldn't respond to accelerator of course and wouldn't let me out of park until I also stood on the brake, so it took 3 or 4 tries to get a 'D' and I could get out of Dodge. Fortunately, the person behind me must have had their foot on the brake, because they were only around 2 feet behind me and stopped quick enough to avoid a collision. They lay on their horn until I vanished over the horizon, but hey, I certainly don't blame them.

This ends the feeling fairly comfortable that I can always get out of a phantom braking by punching it. Just have to watch for oncoming vehicles and try to focus on getting back in drive - then punching it. Be careful out there, apparently there are surprises still lurking.

Well, a whole new braking experience. Phantom sort of implies 'for no visible reason' and it wasn't really that.

In a big parking lot, traveling around 2 mph with both hands on the wheel and no AP, TACC, FSDb, etc. - everything possible turned off, driving like it was a 1930 Chevy, met a car traveling around 1/2 - 1 mph, well centered in their lane and not doing anything worrisome. My MYLR slapped on the brakes, jumped into 'P' and plastered my passenger against the windshield. It wouldn't respond to accelerator of course and wouldn't let me out of park until I also stood on the brake, so it took 3 or 4 tries to get a 'D' and I could get out of Dodge. Fortunately, the person behind me must have had their foot on the brake, because they were only around 2 feet behind me and stopped quick enough to avoid a collision. They lay on their horn until I vanished over the horizon, but hey, I certainly don't blame them.

This ends the feeling fairly comfortable that I can always get out of a phantom braking by punching it. Just have to watch for oncoming vehicles and try to focus on getting back in drive - then punching it. Be careful out there, apparently there are surprises still lurking.
I suspect you have a bad seat sensor and/or door sensor. Otherwise it shouldn't throw it into park. Otherwise the park button may be defective.

I personally have FCW set to early, so that I can respond well before the AEB tries anything.