Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect you have a bad seat sensor and/or door sensor. Otherwise it shouldn't throw it into park. Otherwise the park button may be defective.

I personally have FCW set to early, so that I can respond well before the AEB tries anything.
That's certainly something to consider, thanks. It stopped suddenly enough to throw me forward against the seat belt, so yeah, it could certainly have reduced my weight pressing on the seat enough to trigger a touchy sensor into the car believing I had suddenly left the seat. Easy for Tesla to solve since the cabin camera can certainly verify driver presence and hand on wheel. But until that or an equal fix is in place, I can brace myself enough when meeting cars to make sure jumping into P doesn't happen - and that was really the big problem. Punching the accelerator if needed isn't normally a big deal. All in all, I think you have pointed me to a work-around, thanks again.:)

I suspect you have a bad seat sensor and/or door sensor. Otherwise it shouldn't throw it into park. Otherwise the park button may be defective.

I personally have FCW set to early, so that I can respond well before the AEB tries anything.
If there's a bad seat sensor, the car should detect that and notify you. I had a bad passenger sensor, or intermittent connection to the sensor, and started getting notices. You'd find them in service mode if you miss them on the screen.

That's certainly something to consider, thanks. It stopped suddenly enough to throw me forward against the seat belt, so yeah, it could certainly have reduced my weight pressing on the seat enough to trigger a touchy sensor into the car believing I had suddenly left the seat. Easy for Tesla to solve since the cabin camera can certainly verify driver presence and hand on wheel. But until that or an equal fix is in place, I can brace myself enough when meeting cars to make sure jumping into P doesn't happen - and that was really the big problem. Punching the accelerator if needed isn't normally a big deal. All in all, I think you have pointed me to a work-around, thanks again.:)
I would open a service request - a car should not throw itself into park, no matter what and this is not a typical phantom braking or false EAB event. It would be worth it to have Tesla look at the telemetry data to see what was going on.

My lemoned 2023 MX frequently would have phantom braking events on the freeway while on FSD that were so abrupt that the tires would squeal. Hitting the accelerator to stop it was the only solution. Never once was there anything on the road, nor did they seemingly happen in the dark or poor weather or in areas with missing/worn lane markings. I owned 3 Model S's prior to this, and two had autopilot/FSD. In the 1,000 miles I drove my MX, I had far more FB events than those two MS's did combined over nearly 100k miles. It was unsafe to drive any time someone was within a few car lengths of me while at speed.

All of the people blaming the poster who sold their car at a loss should really take a step back and instead be thankful they did not end up with a vehicle with the issues he clearly had.

All of the people blaming the poster who sold their car at a loss should really take a step back and instead be thankful they did not end up with a vehicle with the issues he clearly had
I 100% suggest people that don't like their Tesla, or are frustrated driving it, sell it and purchase a car that will make them happy. I'm actually shocked the number of people that stubbornly hold onto their Tesla with anger/rage.

Reactions: rpo
We were getting close to the trading in the Y for something else decision due to PB events. Sad to have to choose between good EV drivetrain tech + charging network vs driving a car from an OEM that actually does regression testing on software updates before releasing them. Tesla should be embarrassed by the number of ridiculous and dangerous bugs that their software updates seem to bring with them.

Fortunately 2023.44.30.x had significantly reduced PB events for us, to the point that we're going to keep the car a little longer. Let's see what 2024.2.2.1 does to us.

We were getting close to the trading in the Y for something else decision due to PB events. Sad to have to choose between good EV drivetrain tech + charging network vs driving a car from an OEM that actually does regression testing on software updates before releasing them. Tesla should be embarrassed by the number of ridiculous and dangerous bugs that their software updates seem to bring with them.

Fortunately 2023.44.30.x had significantly reduced PB events for us, to the point that we're going to keep the car a little longer. Let's see what 2024.2.2.1 does to us.
Dallas to Amarillo to Taos via Clayton was PB nightmare last summer. To the point we couldn't use TACC or AP anymore. Going from 80 to 50 (or lower) within seconds for *NO REASON* on wide open highways isn't enjoyable nor safe. Giving it another try this May. But yean - the wife really wanted a Model Y down the road and has voiced concerns that it might not be a Y if "they can't fix that radar thing".

Reactions: rpo and enemji
I'm actually shocked the number of people that stubbornly hold onto their Tesla with anger/rage.
If they walk away, they'd take a financial hit when they buy a different new car.

If they walk away, they wouldn't get what they were promised, and they'd feel like suckers.

If they walk away, then their dreams of a better future are shattered.

If they walk away, then their friends/family will laugh at them after they bragged so long and hard about Teslas.

So many reasons.

In each case, they hang on, rage, and insist that Tesla step up to make the problem go away.

Then there are people who just like to rage. It keeps them warm.

Dallas to Amarillo to Taos via Clayton was PB nightmare last summer. To the point we couldn't use TACC or AP anymore. Going from 80 to 50 (or lower) within seconds for *NO REASON* on wide open highways isn't enjoyable nor safe.
it's really bad at mirages, which distort scenes and make cars appear in strange places, and are extremely hard to reproduce in simulation and to gather good ground truth data.

hot-flat-straight: mirage

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
If there's a bad seat sensor, the car should detect that and notify you. I had a bad passenger sensor, or intermittent connection to the sensor, and started getting notices. You'd find them in service mode if you miss them on the screen.
I did check the service Notifications and there was an alert that at that date and time it: "DI_a133
Vehicle automatically shifted to Park
Shift into D or R to drive"

So I could at least confirm that I didn't personally slap it into P when I was trying to get it moving. :)

I did check the service Notifications and there was an alert that at that date and time it: "DI_a133
Vehicle automatically shifted to Park
Shift into D or R to drive"

So I could at least confirm that I didn't personally slap it into P when I was trying to get it moving. :)
If you did not have your seat belt on, the car sometimes goes back into park, but the message displayed (and likely logged) states that the car was put into park to prevent rollaway, or similar. You stated that your were thrown against the seatbelt, so that, presumably, was not the issue. An open door will put the car in park automatically. Was it possible one of the doors was not closed fully?

If you did not have your seat belt on, the car sometimes goes back into park, but the message displayed (and likely logged) states that the car was put into park to prevent rollaway, or similar. You stated that your were thrown against the seatbelt, so that, presumably, was not the issue. An open door will put the car in park automatically. Was it possible one of the doors was not closed fully?
Or hhat the driver or passenger inadvertently touched the door release button? I believe this will slam the car into Park with brakes applied, if the car was moving at low speed when the button was pressed.

Or hhat the driver or passenger inadvertently touched the door release button? I believe this will slam the car into Park with brakes applied, if the car was moving at low speed when the button was pressed.
Yeah, I thought of that possibility too, but didn't mention it given it should be fairly obvious to the person doing it (although it's possible they won't want to mention it out of embarrassment), and it should show the door open in the UI.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I frankly don't care what exactly causes it. That's up to Tesla to figure out if they claim "vision only" is all there is needed. What I do know - prior to them software deleting my radar ... I never had PB issues to this extent. Anyone wanting to test it - please feel free and drive Dallas-Ft.Worth to Amarillo on a hot/sunny day and set TACC or AP to 75mph ....

Reactions: beachmiles