Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual lane change process? Basic AP in autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To bad you can't just cancel Auto Steer and leave TACC on (smoothly).

you can! Just put turn signal on while autosteer is enabled. It'll do just that, disable autosteer, and leave TACC running. The only times i've seen it not smooth is if there is another car in the next lane while trying to do the lane change, so it'll brake while in the middle of changing lane. But that's to be expected. But as long as lanes are clear, TACC won't do anything abruptly. I've been doing it this way for a while now, and I think TACC behaves just fine during lane changes

you can! Just put turn signal on while autosteer is enabled. It'll do just that, disable autosteer, and leave TACC running. The only times i've seen it not smooth is if there is another car in the next lane while trying to do the lane change, so it'll brake while in the middle of changing lane. But that's to be expected. But as long as lanes are clear, TACC won't do anything abruptly. I've been doing it this way for a while now, and I think TACC behaves just fine during lane changes

Perhaps it will with the basic "AP". But I'm usually in NoA and it will change lanes itself.
I believe would even with NoA and only AutoSteer because I have EAP/FSD and that's what I do want it to normally do any who.

Also sometimes I want to cancel AutoSteer only and NOT necessarily change lanes but keep TACC.
Only way is Click up on Stalk and Down Once.

TACC will not slow for the lane change unless it detects something to slow down for. Re-engage full AP after the lane change is complete.

This is not what I'm experiencing. My natural tendency is to speed up DURING a lane change. But TACC seems to stutter (not necessarily slow down) and speed up a couple seconds AFTER the lane change is complete, even when both lanes are all clear.

This is not what I'm experiencing. My natural tendency is to speed up DURING a lane change. But TACC seems to stutter (not necessarily slow down) and speed up a couple seconds AFTER the lane change is complete, even when both lanes are all clear.

Are you starting at behind something below TACC. Why would you expect it accelerate for a lane change (if both lanes are clear)?

I don't recall exactly but if I or it changes lanes to pass due to something slow in my lane it does fine. Speeds up as soon as I would.
Can't accelerate to early if something it already slowing you down.

Perhaps it will with the basic "AP". But I'm usually in NoA and it will change lanes itself.
I believe would even with NoA and only AutoSteer because I have EAP/FSD and that's what I do want it to normally do any who.

Also sometimes I want to cancel AutoSteer only and NOT necessarily change lanes but keep TACC.
Only way is Click up on Stalk and Down Once.

oh got it, i didn't realize you were EAP user. But yes, the behavior i mentioned is for basic AP. For EAP, you guys are golden!

To clarify previous posts... when you turn on your turn signal, it is easier to turn the steering wheel (less force to overcome) to take over steering and change lanes. Doing so will disengage autosteer but keep TACC on.
Yes, I understand that now. Currently, cars sold with just the standard AP operate such that with AP engage, activating the turn signal disengages AP and the steering wheel behaves “normally” (no resistance to turning it).

What confused me upthread was this post:
Even simpler still... when you turn on turn signals, you can easily change lanes without the steering wheel being forced to disengage.
The wording of that was confusing to me, but now I see that @355rockit is saying the same thing that you are saying, @sreams .

Plain text communication can be difficult at times. :)

I'm so confused...I paid for AP, but not FSD, and this was after EAP was removed as an option. I took delivery on 4/16.

My car seems to have all the EAP features though, so I don't know. I always thought this was part of regular AP. Sorry for confusing the issue.

Yes, I understand that now. Currently, cars sold with just the standard AP operate such that with AP engage, activating the turn signal disengages AP and the steering wheel behaves “normally” (no resistance to turning it).

I haven't experienced that. Just turning on the turn signal does not disengage autosteer. It just reduces the amount of force needed to overcome the resistance, thus disengaging autosteer.

An alternative approach is, with Auto Steer engaged, flick the gear selector stalk up to disengage it, signal and change lanes manually, than re-engage AP with a double flick down on the stalk.

I can confirm that flicking the stalk up once disengages AP but not TACC

Really? That's not how (non-basic) EAP works (flicking the gear selector stalk up disengages Autosteer and TACC), and I have a hard time imagining Tesla making the "basic" AP work differently in this regard.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the turn signal stalk?

LOL, I think there have been 30 posts with essentially 30 different answers.
For a few good reasons. It seems someone ordered basic autopilot and received a 3 with EAP.

Also, with basic autopilot if you have your left hand on the steering wheel while you move the turn signal stalk it is usually enough force to disengage Autosteer. So the people posting this probably don’t realize this.

I have basic autopilot on my Mode 3 and if I want to change lanes I hold the wheel while engaging the turn signal which disables Autosteer 99% of the time but leaves TACC (radar cruise control) engaged. After I change lanes I reengage autopilot.

For a few good reasons. It seems someone ordered basic autopilot and received a 3 with EAP.

Also, with basic autopilot if you have your left hand on the steering wheel while you move the turn signal stalk it is usually enough force to disengage Autosteer. So the people posting this probably don’t realize this.

I have basic autopilot on my Mode 3 and if I want to change lanes I hold the wheel while engaging the turn signal which disables Autosteer 99% of the time but leaves TACC (radar cruise control) engaged. After I change lanes I reengage autopilot.

Huh. Definitely different than mine. I apologize for the confusion, and I appreciate everybody providing the correct information.

The turn signal does NOT disengage auto steer. You lane keeping will stay on while the blinker blinks away.
What does happen is that the resistance in wheel virtually disappears. Once you steer even a little bit for the car lane keeping will disengage. Make your lane change. TACC will maintain its speed either speeding up or slowing down based on how close you are to the vehicle in-front of you.
Double tap the stalk down to reengage AP.

With basic AP, I put on the turn signal, then after a blink or two, I gently steer it to the next lane, which breaks AP. Then once in the new lane, I have to re-engage AP with moving the lever two times.

I agree that we should be able to get the turn signal / lane change thing re-enabled for a (small) price, but then there'd be less reason to get the full FSD package, and that's not profitable for Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
With basic AP, I put on the turn signal, then after a blink or two, I gently steer it to the next lane, which breaks AP. Then once in the new lane, I have to re-engage AP with moving the lever two times.

I agree that we should be able to get the turn signal / lane change thing re-enabled for a (small) price, but then there'd be less reason to get the full FSD package, and that's not profitable for Tesla.

FSD does the lane change for you now. There is no blinker involved if you don't want to. Absolutely no reason why AP doesn't have lane change with blinker. AP1 hardware has that feature from 5 years ago.

Reactions: JBT66
I'm so confused...I paid for AP, but not FSD, and this was after EAP was removed as an option. I took delivery on 4/16.

My car seems to have all the EAP features though, so I don't know. I always thought this was part of regular AP. Sorry for confusing the issue.

To me it's exactly the same with Tom. I took delivery on 4/27 (ordered on 4/24), it's a HW3 model 3 and I only paid for AP (which is already included in the basic package, not for additional price). Didn't pay for FSD and EAP was not an option for me at the time of purchase.

And yet, my 3 can do auto lane change after I turn on the turn signal when the AutoPilot is engaged, and plus some other features that I thought only for FSD: auto parking (used that a few times already), navigate on autopilot and summon (see the options available but haven't tried them yet).

Maybe it will get removed when I get software update. Haven't updated it yet.

Reactions: TomB985
To me it's exactly the same with Tom. I took delivery on 4/27 (ordered on 4/24), it's a HW3 model 3 and I only paid for AP (which is already included in the basic package, not for additional price). Didn't pay for FSD and EAP was not an option for me at the time of purchase.

And yet, my 3 can do auto lane change after I turn on the turn signal when the AutoPilot is engaged, and plus some other features that I thought only for FSD: auto parking (used that a few times already), navigate on autopilot and summon (see the options available but haven't tried them yet).

Mine updated to 12.1.2 Last night and I retained all of the alleged FSD features. I’m certainly not complaining about it, but I don’t understand why.

It’s because you are on FSD trial period

It seems this topic is still under discussion. My experience is definitely that plain Autosteer does NOT change the lane for you, it only allows you to easily disengage autosteer with less torque than usual. However if I read the current owner's manual online, it specifically says "Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is active", thus should be part of plain AP, not FSD.

So if I read this right, the car's functionality is not matching what is described in the owner's manual, and one of those two must be corrected. Anyone has any further insights that I'm missing?