Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys for some reason I am having an issue coming up with something good for warning plate. I don’t want a bumper sticker because stickers stick….

7497C805-3DAF-418B-AFDD-7A4AE5711903.png

I need some brainstorming….

Okay...Can someone teach me how to "intervene?" When the car messes up, I am hitting the breaks to disable FSD and then taking over. Can you like steer it correctly and not end FSD? Or hit the gas and make it go and not end FSD? But then take your foot off and it continues?

In practice I often disengage with steering because it usually happens on turns (more than 50% of turns I think). But that leaves it in TACC (I think always?) which is confusing.

So as suggested try to get in the habit of half-tapping the gear stalk upwards I think. Hitting the go pedal is basically required constantly and will not end FSD. Basically required when it says Autopilot is pausing or creeping if there is any traffic behind you.

Last edited:
As of now, I have seen the Model 3 steering wheel turn far faster than I have in a yoke video.

That's a great idea, and I'll be doing it from now on.

HA! In that Tweet, Elon refers to it as a YOKE!

IMO, that means you are doing it exactly right, keeping your eyeballs glued outside. I know, I know... I sound like a Dad with all of my soap box pronouncements of being safe with this thing, but you guys have gotten to be like extended family, and I don't want you getting hurt! <sniff> So keep your eyes on the road, damnit! :D

On to more pressing matters, like the "yoke" terminology:

By the authority vested in me by the Old Pilot Rules and the State of Confusion, I hereby pronounce and decree that use of the term "Yoke" when used to describe the vehicle steering apparatus is hereby approved and encouraged.

I have spoken.

There. Matter settled. :D

On a more serious note, I did have an interesting day with FSD. I drove through a part of town with quite standard roads and markings, and was able to go an impressively long distance without having one intervention.

One occurrence I did want to run by you guys. I'm stopped at a traffic light. No one in front of me. I'm in a left turn lane, with my left blinker on. There's another left turn lane next to me (on my left), and two straight lanes to my right. The traffic light is configured with two left turn arrow lights, and two straight round lights. I did not have FSD engaged. When the two straight lights turned green, my car gave me the "hey dummy, the light is green" ding. The two left arrow lights are still red.

What do you guys think? If I'd had FSD on, do you guys think it would've taken off, performing the left turn against the red light? I considered engaging FSD at that time, but chickened out.

I'm just wondering how the green light ding and FSD work things out between them.
Interesting

I had the same situation. The two lefts though had one green arrow for both lanes. My MY went when the green arrow lit

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
In practice I often disengage with steering because it usually happens on turns (more than 50% of turns I think). But that leaves it in TACC (I think always?) which is confusing.

So as suggested try to get in the habit of half-tapping the gear stalk upwards I think. Hitting the gas is basically required constantly and will not end FSD. Basically required when it says Autopilot is pausing or creeping if there is any traffic behind you.

I have submitted feedback for the TACC on by default issue. It might be desirable on the highway sometimes, but for FSD testing on local roads, it sucks. I suggested either making steering wheel interventions fully disengage, or have a setting under Autopilot for us to choose the TACC state.

or have a setting under Autopilot for us to choose the TACC state.

Totally would love this. I will second that suggestion to Tesla and send them an email. When I disengage I immediately want to be under full control. As you say, in complicated environments it's important that there be no accelerator applied right away - you should be coming to a stop with no further input. I often have to disengage for parked cars on turns, and the last thing I want is for it to continue to move forward. Especially in my neighborhood where there are many intersections where I must yield where there are no stop signs. If I disengage there it might decide to lunge forward and then I'll have to stomp the brake. No one wants that.

Reactions: Phlier and nvx1977
Totally would love this. I will second that suggestion to Tesla and send them an email. When I disengage I immediately want to be under full control. As you say, in complicated environments it's important that there be no accelerator applied right away - you should be coming to a stop with no further input. I often have to disengage for parked cars on turns, and the last thing I want is for it to continue to move forward. Especially in my neighborhood where there are many intersections where I must yield where there are no stop signs. If I disengage there it might decide to lunge forward and then I'll have to stomp the brake. No one wants that.

I didn't provide specifics on why having TACC on after wheel disengagement sucks, so having that in your email will be good :)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So this will probably be frowned upon (and maybe even deleted, I don’t know the rules) but anyone have any experience with FSD beta and an autopilot buddy?
Why would you ask such a question? FSD beta is dangerous, even with someone paying attention. Using a defeat device is akin to playing russian roulette. Hopefully Tesla will make it difficult with camera monitoring of the driver.

Okay peeps, you asked for it (well, you really didn’t, but you will get it anyway)!

Being inspired by @qdeathstar videos from last night, I decided to make my first ever set - featuring “Mr. Yoke”. Overall, not to shabby for an early beta release. I was expecting something more like the cheap parlor trick, aka Smart Summon, when it was first released.

So, we have dark rural roads, busy urban roads, with traffic and people potentially in the line of danger, roundabouts, herky-jerky yokes, purple lit trees (end of second shorter vid) and a shout out to an inspirational member! Comments?

@qdeathstar @EVNow @MarcG @WilliamG @Ryan27 @Lowchrg @Phlier @spokey @lbowroom
@Ramphex

Just now discovering this thread. Here is a list of some of my experiences so far since getting the beta on Sunday night. This is not an exhaustive list.

1. While following a rightward bend on a residential street, car appeared to not see a vehicle parked on the passenger (right-hand) side and came uncomfortably close with no sign of stopping. Disengaged by pulling the steering wheel away.
  2. While making a right turn onto a street, car attempted to use a wide bike lane entrance on the right hand side separated by a concrete median as the turning lane. Disengaged via steering wheel.
  3. While traveling through the same intersection, but this time going straight, car attempted to merge into the left-turn only lane. Disengaged.
  4. Coming up to make a U-turn at an intersection with two lanes going straight and one left-turn only lane. Straight lanes had a green light, left-turn only lane had a red left turn arrow. Car got into the left-turn only lane, and did not brake at all. I gave it as much time as I safely could to see what the vehicle would do, but it gave no indication of stopping. Also, it gave no indication that it was going to perform a U-turn. This has by far been the biggest head-scratcher for me.
  5. While traveling down a two-lane (one in each direction) road that widens to add a bike lane with parked cars, car veered into the bike lane and appeared that it would hit a parked vehicle. Disengaged via steering wheel.
  6. Multiple instances of phantom braking, usually with tree shadows on the road.
  7. Multiple instances of hard stops about 15 feet prior to traffic control intersections - stop signs, traffic lights, even unprotected left turn lanes.
There's been plenty more hitches and glitches, but you get the idea. For me, a good drive is far more rare than a bad one. Obviously I flag all of these for the Autopilot team.

More than frowned upon. Hopefully Tesla has updated the algorithm to detect this and will kick anyone out of the beta program who does it. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone.
I can’t even wrap my head around using one of these “devices” even on regular ole autopilot or NoA. It’s too unpredictable not to pay attention.

So this will probably be frowned upon (and maybe even deleted, I don’t know the rules) but anyone have any experience with FSD beta and an autopilot buddy?
Only a damn idiot would use an AP nag defeat device on Beta. If you don’t keep a hand on the wheel at nearly all times, you’re just asking for an accident.

Okay peeps, you asked for it (well, you really didn’t, but you will get it anyway)!

Being inspired by @qdeathstar videos from last night, I decided to make my first ever set - featuring “Mr. Yoke”. Overall, not to shabby for an early beta release. I was expecting something more like the cheap parlor trick, aka Smart Summon, when it was first released.

So, we have dark rural roads, busy urban roads, with traffic and people potentially in the line of danger, roundabouts, herky-jerky yokes, purple lit trees (end of second shorter vid) and a shout out to an inspirational member! Comments?

@qdeathstar @EVNow @MarcG @WilliamG @Ryan27 @Lowchrg @Phlier @spokey @lbowroom
@Ramphex

Nice video although I’m not sure I can trust someone who ones a choke collar camera. Also hard pass on the yoke. I’m glad it made it through the round about.

In my limited experience with the beta this far it seems to drive much better at night.

Guys for some reason I am having an issue coming up with something good for warning plate. I don’t want a bumper sticker because stickers stick….

View attachment 722111

I need some brainstorming….
Alternatively, you could go with a magnetic sign for less than $6. I made this one. It looks like @EVNow avatar!

839844F5-F0A1-4806-89F2-33822EDAC79D.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Phlier and EVNow