Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird moment today where I was the only car in a left turn lane with a red arrow. The car randomly had the planned path go crazy for no apparent reason, wanting to go into the adjacent lane to the right and then complete the left turn against a red light and the car actually moved forward a little, forcing me to hit the brakes. Tried to re-engage and the car creeped forward a bit with the light still red, and I wasn’t risking it so I hit the brake again and left Beta off until I completed the turn myself. Weird enough that I hit the button to send in a clip in addition to my disengagements. The car also still remains strangely fond of trying to change out of the proper lane when it’s getting fairly close to a right or left turn. I assume it thinks the car in front is too slow and just wants to pass, but I don’t know for sure. I just hit the opposite direction on the signal stalk to cancel, and sometimes have to do that a couple of times. Tesla may want to remove speed based lane changes (which I assume this is) for Beta, because it makes some really dumb decisions, presumably because it can’t see the long line of cars in the lane and assumes it’s only the car immediately in front of it that it needs to pass.

Weird moment today where I was the only car in a left turn lane with a red arrow. The car randomly had the planned path go crazy for no apparent reason, wanting to go into the adjacent lane to the right and then complete the left turn against a red light and the car actually moved forward a little, forcing me to hit the brakes. Tried to re-engage and the car creeped forward a bit with the light still red, and I wasn’t risking it so I hit the brake again and left Beta off until I completed the turn myself. Weird enough that I hit the button to send in a clip in addition to my disengagements. The car also still remains strangely fond of trying to change out of the proper lane when it’s getting fairly close to a right or left turn. I assume it thinks the car in front is too slow and just wants to pass, but I don’t know for sure. I just hit the opposite direction on the signal stalk to cancel, and sometimes have to do that a couple of times. Tesla may want to remove speed based lane changes (which I assume this is) for Beta, because it makes some really dumb decisions, presumably because it can’t see the long line of cars in the lane and assumes it’s only the car immediately in front of it that it needs to pass.
I've had something like this too. It will enter the left turn lane to make a left turn, and as it nears the intersection, it will suddenly start changing into the right lane only for me to disengage it.

Alternatively, you could go with a magnetic sign for less than $6. I made this one. It looks like @EVNow avatar!

View attachment 722130

What do you guys think about this .. ?

1634516998246.png

I've had something like this too. It will enter the left turn lane to make a left turn, and as it nears the intersection, it will suddenly start changing into the right lane only for me to disengage it.

It seems like if you and the car in front are not aligned, FSD is more prone to feel slippery and try to pass the stationary line of cars. Talk about lack of situational awareness.

Reactions: impastu
Took my son-in-law for a drive to see FSD and in the first 30 seconds he saw these two problems as he seriously considers placing an order for a MY.
  1. Ran my first stop sign today. Great visibility and fortunately no other cars around. Tried the intersection a second time and the car slowed down 20 feet before the sign and then zoomed right thru the stop sign again. Sign is fairly tall but otherwise seems like a million other stop signs.
  2. FSD also failed to change the speed limit with this sign. I assume the Turtle Xing sign below it was the reason. Email both pictures to Tesla FSD beta team along with the standard snapshot during the drive.

Attachments

• Stop Sign-Kingston Ma.jpg
    Stop Sign-Kingston Ma.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • Speed Limit Sign with Turtle Xing.jpg
    Speed Limit Sign with Turtle Xing.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 32
Talk about lack of situational awareness.
The question is how do you "program" situational awareness.

FSD has to figure out if the vehicle in front is standing their stuck, so it needs to go around it - or if there is a traffic jam and it just needs to wait. As long as the planner is still based on heuristics / procedural code - each such situation needs to be coded for.

Probably not in the map ?
Map or not it should still stop. We have a recent post where someone reported FSD recognized a stop sign even though it was carried by a construction worker.
This stop sign has been there at least 3 years and it was in the visualization as a stop sign. There was absolutely nothing unusual about the sign placement.

Map or not it should still stop. We have a recent post where someone reported FSD recognized a stop sign even though it was carried by a construction worker.
This stop sign has been there at least 3 years and it was in the visualization as a stop sign. There was absolutely nothing unusual about the sign placement.

I would be interested to know if the map database is somehow incorrectly annotated and how the system is prioritizing between map data and real-time vision confidence. mind sharing the intersection? DM is fine too.

I encountered several roads today covered with pine straw (needles). Car did not like that. It really struggled with finding the drivable space. At some point, it will need to learn that this stuff is ok to drive on. There was so much pine straw that it was obscuring the lane markings. Even the centerline.
I had that same problem today deciding how fast I could safely go without crashing out. Oh but that was on my Trek bike. Decided 15mph instead of 40 was ok:) Seriously there was some serious pine needles all over the streets after a heavy rain last night. If there was a safety factor for how I ride my Trek/Cannondale bikes I'd probably be in the negative numbers.