Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This ^^^

It will be interesting to see the amount of change from 10.2 to 10.3, 10.4, etc. Pick a route, and drive that same route each and every time you get a new release (in the same conditions, at the same time, if possible) and comment on what your experience was (better, worse, the same). This way, we will be able to see what type of changes Tesla made between releases - if we all report on this.
That's a great idea, but I would add that you need to drive the same route several times with each new version to be sure any change. you think you see, is real. So often, FSD bet is nconsistent in the way it handles the same route or situation. You shouldn't conclude with only one succesful drive of your test route that any previous issue was fixed.

Reactions: Phlier
That's a great idea, but I would add that you need to drive the same route several times with each new version to be sure any change. you think you see, is real. So often, FSD bet is nconsistent in the way it handles the same route or situation. You shouldn't conclude with only one succesful drive of your test route that any previous issue was fixed.
@wtwieder Agreed, as I mentioned in a subsequent post!

FSD certainly drives worse then a new student driver but hopefully that will change quickly.
Change won’t be quick. FSD beta has already been out for a year.

The changes will be painfully slow and there will be frustrating regressions.

I expect This FSD beta to go to general release (eq. of stop signs release) only after a couple of years. They need to solve some perception problems (FCW, gates) and a LOT of planner issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
I have a hunch your proposed test comparison by FSD Beta release won’t work very well because I am getting different results for the same places on 10.2. For example there is a left turn lane on the street leading to my house. Sometimes the car enters the turn lane and then suddenly tries to swerve right before making the left turn, but sometimes it makes the left turn perfectly. I have read similar comments from others. (I have been using EAP/FSD for most of my street driving even before receiving the Beta and never recall such inconsistencies.)

On the flip side, there are places for me where 10.2 fails every time. These are the places I’ll be most eager to test after a new release.

I expect This FSD beta to go to general release (eq. of stop signs release) only after a couple of years. They need to solve some perception problems (FCW, gates) and a LOT of planner issues.

One caveat is the ramp of Dojo might actually have a big impact.

Yes, Dojo and may be some other stuff in the pipeline we don’t know about. Better infrastructure helps - but that planner code needs to get better and might be the bottleneck at this point.
It will be interesting to see the "rate of change" from release to release. That's more exciting than actually the stressful beta FSD driving experience! YMMV

Here’s a video of mine from today showing the neighborhood issues. Very poor production value, and the commentary is painful - and sorry for the mild profanities. I don’t plan to make many more videos; it’s too much effort.
As they say, if something is very difficult / takes too much time, do it often. You will learn to do it quicker ;) My kids learnt how to record videos using a camcorder (an old Sony 3D), import to pc, edit using open shot / power director, even do voice overs etc and upload to YouTube (private videos for extended family). Even the 2nd grader who finds it difficult to put on her own socks ;)

BTW, are you using a roof suction cup to hold the camera ?

As they say, if something is very difficult / takes too much time, do it often. You will learn to do it quicker ;) My kids learnt how to record videos using a camcorder (an old Sony 3D), import to pc, edit using open shot / power director, even do voice overs etc and upload to YouTube (private videos for extended family). Even the 2nd grader.

@AlanSubie4Life ^^^ This ^^^

To be honest it’s all the waiting around for the video to download off the GoPro (after discovering brand new SD reader does not work anymore), waiting for video to re-encode after piecing the two clips together (may be some way to avoid this), and waiting for it to upload to YouTube, that make it very slow. Then of course rewatching it quickly to extract time stamps.

I did zero actual production work, for which the comments above definitely are more relevant. Could get a lot faster and better at that sort of thing!
Yes. Just a cheap GoPro mount. It stays on during autocross so FSD Beta should be ok. Maybe. It’s possibly higher jerk than autocross. 😂

Last edited:
To be honest it’s all the waiting around for the video to download off the GoPro (after discovering brand new SD reader does not work anymore), waiting for video to re-encode after piecing the two clips together (may be some way to avoid this), and waiting for it to upload to YouTube, that make it very slow. Then of course rewatching it quickly to extract time stamps.

Yes, you learn to work around those time consuming tasks. Just start those tasks and do something else.

Ofcourse more powerful PC with new USB 3.2 helps too. I had to upgrade quite a few items when I started the 4k VR / 3D editing. True with just 4K too.

I encountered several roads today covered with pine straw (needles). Car did not like that. It really struggled with finding the drivable space. At some point, it will need to learn that this stuff is ok to drive on. There was so much pine straw that it was obscuring the lane markings. Even the centerline.

Just curious how you Plaid yokers are going, efficiency wise. Here’s mine.

FFAD046D-A637-404E-99DC-22B2FD4F687C.jpeg

1) With all the jerkiness in the steering and braking, given this has been the situation with beta for over a year, and given that this in not a drive by wire system, but rather a mechanical one, is anyone concerned that this beta FSD software is accelerating the wear of the cars components (steering, suspension, brakes, etc.)?
Yes, especially the brakes and the tires. FSD is constantly scrubbing the tires with all of its unnecessary wheel turning.
2) While many enjoy, use regularly, and see the benefit of highway AP, NoA, and FSD, do you feel the same way about using FSD “around town”? Let’s say you own a “P” model of Tesla; wouldn’t you enjoy driving more then letting a L2 FSD system take you in your “P” Tesla around town? Currently, I think I would enjoy my Plaid more around town if I drove it, vs a much improved L2 FSD system that my never get to L4/L5 while I own it.
I do like to actually drive the car, for sure. But there are times on the freeway when it'll be nice to let the car handle the cruising. Cruising with AP on is still stressful for me, though, as I keep "driving" the car when AP is on, even while cruising down the freeway. It'll get there... someday.

3) While I enjoy playing with beta FSD, and being part of the beta testing team during this pivotal auto evolvution, I don’t see myself preferring to use it “comfortably” until L3/L4/L5 happens. Right now, and for the near future (1-2 years), to use it around town seems much more stressful than just driving, save for the beta tester comments above. Makes for a good parlor trick for friends and family though, like Smart Summon was in the early days.
Yup. Right now it feels like a second job, testing FSD. Not that I mind.

Really looking forward to seeing the rate at which it progresses.

I've asked several YouTube FSD testers that have been running the beta since 8.0 how much progress they feel has been made over the last year they've spent with the software. The responses have varied from "very little progress" to "wow, it's like a totally different animal." So being able to form my own opinion on progress rate will be nice.

Respectfully disagree. Strongly.

I encountered several roads today covered with pine straw (needles). Car did not like that. It really struggled with finding the drivable space. At some point, it will need to learn that this stuff is ok to drive on. There was so much pine straw that it was obscuring the lane markings. Even the centerline.
Sounds like it's pining for road markings. 😎