Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am desperately waiting to get FSD beta and honestly becoming a little upset. I just purchased my model S 2 months ago, opted into fsd beta 2 weeks ago, and currently have 100 on my score.
This is a new model s? New cars don't get ANY software updates for a while.....usually most reports say about a month, but can be longer. Has your model s had any software update since you bought it?

New cars are locked with "factory safe" software for an undisclosed amount of time (almost seems random), then they start getting software updates. I'm in the same situation for a Model Y that I took possession of over 2 weeks ago.

Getting accepted into FSD beta is a software update, so if Tesla is not allowing software updates to your car yet, then you can't get into the Beta yet.

Reactions: BossMan123
This is a new model s? New cars don't get ANY software updates for a while.....usually most reports say about a month, but can be longer. Has your model s had any software update since you bought it?

New cars are locked with "factory safe" software for an undisclosed amount of time (almost seems random), then they start getting software updates. I'm in the same situation for a Model Y that I took possession of over 2 weeks ago.

Getting accepted into FSD beta is a software update, so if Tesla is not allowing software updates to your car yet, then you can't get into the Beta yet.
New S Plaid. I already received 2021.40.6 since I purchased it so i'm past the "factory safe" software. I'm just really confused how and when they release their beta updates to owners.

New S Plaid. I already received 2021.40.6 since I purchased it so i'm past the "factory safe" software. I'm just really confused how and when they release their beta updates to owners.
I have a Plaid also and received my first update during my delivery at Tesla.
I just went ahead and downloaded it before I drove it for the first time. It took about 20 minutes and I was checking out the car anyways

I retested this with the same 10.5 - but this time in daytime. I got the exact same slowdowns from 40 mph to 30 mph. Two times on 2 bends.

View attachment 741060 View attachment 741061

Then, I returned to the same road minutes later - but this time with just AP using AP profile. As you can see here - no slowdowns at all.

To me this is confirmation that FSD is slowing down for the bends and this is not phantom braking as I had earlier assumed. Those getting such slowdowns on twisty roads should reconsider whether those are phantom braking or just FSD slowing down for the bends.

View attachment 741062 View attachment 741063

There is a twist in the story. Yesterday was a clear night but slightly different conditions - and I was ready to press the accelerator anticipating slowdown but as you can see below no slowdowns !

The difference ? Lead car.

So, if there is a lead car - planner is confident of taking the bend at the same speed as the lead car ?

vlcsnap-2021-12-09-09h17m13s414.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-09-09h17m53s680.png

But you probably only see the people complaining. I got updates right away. One the day after delivery, another within a week. I think I had 4 or so in the first month. Why? Who knows. This was 9/20. Maybe they have slowed down recently

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Has anyone been using FSD and have the nav system loose track of where it actually is? (See attached photos, where I placed the red X is where the car actually is vs. where it’s supposed to be in the blue nav route).

Had this happen a bunch today, noticed random turn signals, “changing lanes to follow route”, car random swerving around or trying to onto a road that isn’t there, (drive off the road). Very unsafe and unpredictable behavior.
C8A02D2C-F269-4B78-9714-5CBBF59B05AB.jpeg
ABDC1C01-681A-40AE-9872-697188A030D6.jpeg
99F572AD-854B-4E96-B2C1-1096EC2D0C64.jpeg

Has anyone been using FSD and have the nav system loose track of where it actually is? (See attached photos, where I placed the red X is where the car actually is vs. where it’s supposed to be in the blue nav route).

Had this happen a bunch today, noticed random turn signals, “changing lanes to follow route”, car random swerving around or trying to onto a road that isn’t there, (drive off the road). Very unsafe and unpredictable behavior. View attachment 742466View attachment 742467View attachment 742468
I've seen this occur in videos from beta testers, Rocco is one for sure that has documented it a few times and it has completely messed up the performance of FSD

Think it tends to happen in areas with sparser satellite coverage where GPS loses its preciseness

I've seen this occur in videos from beta testers, Rocco is one for sure that has documented it a few times and it has completely messed up the performance of FSD

Think it tends to happen in areas with sparser satellite coverage where GPS loses its preciseness
So this happened in the city of Buffalo NY, and the area I live about an hour away from Buffalo. Maybe just a bad day for sat coverage?

So, if there is a lead car - planner is confident of taking the bend at the same speed as the lead car ?
That's an interesting observation. It's not surprising that there's different logic for when there's a follow me car and opposed to being the lead car. Given Tesla's low center of gravity compared to other vehicles, it's probably not a bad assumption to make.

Had this happen a bunch today, noticed random turn signals, “changing lanes to follow route”, car random swerving around or trying to onto a road that isn’t there, (drive off the road). Very unsafe and unpredictable behavior. View attachment 742466View attachment 742467View attachment 742468
Yes. This happens to me. completely dangerous and suddenly turns you into another lane or an oncoming car. Recalibrating cameras temporarily help but it reverts back without notice. I took my car into Tesla to see if there was a problem with cameras but they said this is a 'known' FSD beta issue and nothing they can do about it until they fix it in an update. My suggestion is turn off FSD completely. Use it sparingly in completely safe situations and not at all if GPS location is off.

are you familiar with how gps works? mid latitudes coverage is uniform across the whole globe. It’s not spare in sparsely populated areas like cell coverage would be.

The problem is more likely due to cheap GPS receivers and transient interference.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
are you familiar with how gps works? mid latitudes coverage is uniform across the whole globe. It’s not spare in sparsely populated areas like cell coverage would be.

The problem is more likely due to cheap GPS receivers and transient interference.
The satellites are not geostationary, so sometimes there are gaps (to get enough satellites but usually still have a couple that have line of sight but you need 3 to get a position on the ground). Rarely happens but it can (though usually doesn't last long). Though in general, I agree with you.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
I’ve had issues with using an old handheld GPS on the water near Canada when clocking speeds on my old (2014 FX SVHO, with mad tyte mods so it went 80mph) PWC. I’d go out for a top speed run with 3 sats locked on, and would come back with no data. Sometimes took a couple runs to get a GPS speed reading. Prolly wasted half a tank of fuel doing so…a few times. Still a fast boat for its size and weight! Never trusted the lie-0-meter speedo that said I was doing 92, when it was really 78-80 on GPS. Sorry Yamaha.

Not even a little bit, I'm just throwing theories out there. Thanks for the insight!