Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a couple of weird intersection problems on 10.10.2. Never driven on FSD at these intersections - so may not be limited to 10.10.2.

First one is a weird intersection where the median is at the wrong place. The left turn lane of the opposite side is on the left of the media. Naturally, FSD tried to go into the left turning lane even as a car was coming. Can't see the screen very clearly here because of bright daylight.

1648402810878.png
vlcsnap-2022-03-27-10h33m19s364.png

The second turn is a little easier but FSD wanted to again use the left turning lane of the opposite direction and looked like it was headed directly at the divider. Basically it got center line wrong. The path shown on the screen is weird - wanted to use the left turn lane for a bit before jumping over the curb ?

The bottom image shows how it look on Google street view from the other direction. The car is coming from the left. You can see two medians and why the car might be confused.

vlcsnap-2022-03-27-10h34m18s257.png

1648403515744.png

One thing to note is that both the intersections were "upgraded" a few years back and the left turn lanes were added. This meant the median is now in the "wrong" place". TomTom map looks ok.

Right, god forbid we would have to learn something to use new technology. Why I never........
I don't think it is a matter of learning new technology at all. I think it is a matter of the technology that doesn't work.

I also don't think anyone should have to learn to read a windows blue screen crash report. It just should not crash.

Likewise, to park, you should not need to be at so specific a speed or distance before the car tells you it can autopark. If it can only detect a parking sport at say 3mph at 5' distance, that's crap technology.

Technology should make our lives easier, not harder. But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: DocRob and PACEMD
I don't think it is a matter of learning new technology at all. I think it is a matter of the technology that doesn't work.

I also don't think anyone should have to learn to read a windows blue screen crash report. It just should not crash.

Likewise, to park, you should not need to be at so specific a speed or distance before the car tells you it can autopark. If it can only detect a parking sport at say 3mph at 5' distance, that's crap technology.

Technology should make our lives easier, not harder. But that is just my opinion.
That's a different statement. So you are not then complaining that you have to watch a video to learn new software, as you stated, what you meant to say is you don't like having to learn something when the results aren't worth the effort. I get it. Summons is a great example. We all experience learning to use new software that's not really worth the time. Microsoft and Apple provide many such experiences. Anyway, it wasn't really a serious reply.

Last edited:
I think it needs to be below 5 mph ... but, I'll have some free time today to test the speed cut off.

Have you noticed ever with empty perpendicular spaces it struggles to park in one go? Like it won’t use enough steering input so it’ll start doing a very slow 3-point to park itself. Very frustrating when trying to use autopark. Wasting a whole minute to do a 10 second maneuver.

Have you noticed ever with empty perpendicular spaces it struggles to park in one go? Like it won’t use enough steering input so it’ll start doing a very slow 3-point to park itself. Very frustrating when trying to use autopark. Wasting a whole minute to do a 10 second maneuver.
Yes - its almost always a 3-point park.

Interestingly I was watching (after the auto-park) what other cars were doing. I have to say - almost everyone did 3-point reverse parking. Just one or two who managed to do it in one go.

Ofcourse, forward parking almost everyone does in one go.

Sorry for easy iPhone off screen video quality.

10.10.2 A little follow up to Beta driving on the wrong side of the road on 14th St. Went early this morning and luckily there was no traffic so I let it play out to see what it would do. Defiantly not pretty but at least it finally corrected itself. Still bad.

And for fun there were a couple of scooters laying /2 way in the street and just like before Beta was ready to annihilate them.

I got 10.11.2 tonight and went for a drive. Definitely smoother in many cases. Not all cases, but overall the car drove smoother and more confidently. Right turns next to a curb improved; the car makes more effort not to curb my rims now. Much better job on traffic circles--once you finally get in them. I had no phantom braking, but that seems to be more of a daylight thing around here so I'll reserve judgement on that. The car stops well back from the traffic circle with no traffic at all. I mean, it shouldn't stop at all, but if it was going to stop it's stopping maybe two car lengths before it should. It gets way too close to the side of the road under certain circumstances; that's unchanged from what I saw on 10.10.2. Stop signs sometimes it gets right, sometimes it stops two car lengths early. It still does not want to slow down for a slower speed limit for like at least a block. I would have gotten a ticket tonight had I not intervened. Speed limit 35, new speed limit 25, cop waiting behind an intersection. (I didn't see him till I passed him.) He was waiting there specifically to ticket people failing to slow for the residential zone; I'm familiar with the area and enforcement. Anyways, Tesla really needs to fix this behavior. Pulling out of parking lots is much better except for it needs to be all the way right on the driveway if it's turning right. It went out the middle of a wide driveway--and then pulled across the right lane and went in to the left lane. (Two lanes going my direction.) It should pull into the right lane obviously. It still stops for a flashing yellow and requires intervention to continue. It still will drive right into a gate without slowing if you let it.

TLDR: Anyways, much better and much smoother--most of the time. You still need to watch it like a hawk. I don't understand why FSD has such a hard time pulling up to stop signs. If it's on TACC it pulls right up to the line and stops, just like it should. Why can't they just use that programming for FSD? Go figure. Traffic circles are better but it still swings wide coming out of them, and it still stops before it enters them.

Last edited:
I got 10.11.2 tonight and went for a drive. Definitely smoother in many cases. Not all cases, but overall the car drove smoother and more confidently. Right turns next to a curb improved; the car makes more effort not to curb my rims now. Much better job on traffic circles--once you finally get in them. I had no phantom braking, but that seems to be more of a daylight thing around here so I'll reserve judgement on that. The car stops well back from the traffic circle with no traffic at all. I mean, it shouldn't stop at all, but if it was going to stop it's stopping maybe two car lengths before it should. It gets way too close to the side of the road under certain circumstances; that's unchanged from what I saw on 10.10.2. Stop signs sometimes it gets right, sometimes it stops two car lengths early. It still does not want to slow down for a slower speed limit for like at least a block. I would have gotten a ticket tonight had I not intervened. Speed limit 35, new speed limit 25, cop waiting behind an intersection. (I didn't see him till I passed him.) He was waiting there specifically to ticket people failing to slow for the residential zone; I'm familiar with the area and enforcement. Anyways, Tesla really needs to fix this behavior. Pulling out of parking lots is much better except for it needs to be all the way right on the driveway if it's turning right. It went out the middle of a wide driveway--and then pulled across the right lane and went in to the left lane. (Two lanes going my direction.) It should pull into the right lane obviously. It still stops for a flashing yellow and requires intervention to continue. It still will drive right into a gate without slowing if you let it.

TLDR: Anyways, much better and much smoother--most of the time. You still need to watch it like a hawk. I don't understand why FSD has such a hard time pulling up to stop signs. If it's on TACC it pulls right up to the line and stops, just like it should. Why can't they just use that programming for FSD? Go figure. Traffic circles are better but it still swings wide coming out of them, and it still stops before it enters them.

I see you’re in Washington. Would you share a Google maps location of an example of a stop sign that it stops too early for?

I’m in CA and I haven’t had a misjudged stop sign in a loong time. Wonder if your road lines are different or something.

I see you’re in Washington. Would you share a Google maps location of an example of a stop sign that it stops too early for?

I’m in CA and I haven’t had a misjudged stop sign in a loong time. Wonder if your road lines are different or something.
Sure, I'll have to go for another drive for stop signs, It was late and I'm not sure which of them it did that on. Over half for sure. No unusual markings, just a stop sign and a white line on the road for some of them. It was every traffic circle that it stopped way back from. Here's one: 45°36'07.2"N 122°24'23.7"W · Camas, WA 98607

• Informative
Reactions: momo3605

This my first drive on Beta 10.11.2. Overall the drive was smoother the car slowed nicely for turns. There is still a problem with crossing the yellow center line on right turns or curves in the roadway. I felt no phantom slowing or braking (overcast daylight). I will try using it on a right turn at an intersection that is at an oblique angle where it has a problem (moving far into the roadway before accelerating) I'll do that later today.

Reactions: GranularHail
It still does not want to slow down for a slower speed limit for like at least a block
Yeah - I noticed this at least going back to 10.2. There’s a spot we’re the speed limit drops from 50 to 35 and the car takes a quarter mile to slow down. Looking at the energy bar I can see it on the black/right side, not green/on the left side or even neutral, so it’s actively giving energy to the motors. The odd thing is if I’m using plain TACC it slows down fine.

Either way, cases like these are common speed traps so Tesla needs to fix this and really should make it so the car anticipates speed limit changes rather than reacts to them after the sign.

Sure, I'll have to go for another drive for stop signs, It was late and I'm not sure which of them it did that on. Over half for sure. No unusual markings, just a stop sign and a white line on the road for some of them. It was every traffic circle that it stopped way back from. Here's one: 45°36'07.2"N 122°24'23.7"W · Camas, WA 98607

Well we don’t really have many roundabouts in Northern California, so I have no idea how FSD behaves on roundabouts. Seems like something the FSD team might not have a lot of data on either

Well we don’t really have many roundabouts in Northern California, so I have no idea how FSD behaves on roundabouts. Seems like something the FSD team might not have a lot of data on either
perhaps not, but they're becoming increasingly common in many parts of the country (and have been around in Europe for ages) so it's definitely something they need to address.

I'm sure they have a ton of data on roundabouts. It is perhaps one of the most common reason people disengage - if not the topmost reason.

All newish neighborhoods seem to have roundabouts since they are better at controlling traffic than stop signs and cost less than traffic lights. They also look nice. Every road upgrade my city does they seem to add roundabouts. I don't know if it is just a NorthWest thing ....

Reactions: sleepydoc
I'm sure they have a ton of data on roundabouts. It is perhaps one of the most common reason people disengage - if not the topmost reason.

All newish neighborhoods seem to have roundabouts since they are better at controlling traffic than stop signs and cost less than traffic lights. They also look nice. Every road upgrade my city does they seem to add roundabouts. I don't know if it is just a NorthWest thing ....
Yeah, they've been adding a lot of them in MN, too. They do a good job of managing traffic in moderately busy intersections without making people stop unnecessarily. (and have the added benefit of calming traffic by forcing people to slow down.)

Yeah, they've been adding a lot of them in MN, too. They do a good job of managing traffic in moderately busy intersections without making people stop unnecessarily. (and have the added benefit of calming traffic by forcing people to slow down.)

I guess one issue is big trucks - they can't easily navigate roundabouts. Anyway, here is the status on roundabouts DOT publishes a few years back.

Reactions: sleepydoc