Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q
I hope @jebinc doesn't mind me going off topic... yet again. :D

But I had something happen yesterday morning that's being a bit of a pain...

On my very first drive with FSD Beta, I saved a rather exciting video of a motorcycle nearly crashing. It was good enough that I actually wanted to take the drive in to the house and transfer the footage. As I no longer have my Raspberry Pi setup to do this for me automatically, I had to actually remove the drive from the car and take it in the house. Just as I've done so many times before.

So I un-mounted the drive (medium long press on the dashcam icon until the icon goes away), then, as I'm in the process of removing the device, I get a notification on the screen about there being a problem with a USB device, and to remove it. I kinda thought it was odd at the time, but didn't think too much about it.

I took the drive into the house, transferred the footage, and had Windows do a disk check on it. No problems found. Took the drive back out to the car and plugged it in.

The Viewer app launches just fine, lists the files on the drive, and also plays them just fine.

But the dashcam features refuse to work. I messed with this all day long over the 500 miles I drove, and none of the fixes I tried helped.

I brought the drive back in the house, and it works just fine... No problems reading or writing files.

So today I'm going to try a few different USB sticks and see if I can get them to work.

But I'm curious... has anyone had this kind of problem happen to them? If so, what was the fix?

At this point, I'm thinking that the car itself might have a hardware issue, but I'm not gonna say for sure until I try using a few known-good USB sticks on it.

I read your post this morning. Thought nothing of it. Then this EXACT thing happened to me this afternoon. Must be a bug in the 10.2 beta. Haven't figured out a fix yet, and haven't read the rest of the thread to see if you did yet.

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
A couple of new observations from my third day on 10.2:
  1. There is a street that ends with barriers, but has a left turn into a subdivision. Pre-FSD, the car would want to barrel right through the barriers. With FSD, the first two days, it seemed like it would barrel through, but made a last-minute left turn. Then today, it was silky smooth like it should be. I had pressed the video snapshot button yesterday, so I wonder if someone is really looking at these or there is any processing. I will have to see what it does tomorrow.
  2. On-ramp to freeway today that did great on day one, but was pretty aggressive yesterday and today, it didn't even want to slow down, so I had to disengage to avoid taking the turn too fast. So seems to have a mind of its own!
  3. We had a lot of fog on my route. When visibility was low, it said AP speed was being limited due to visibility and dropped down to 60 MPH (from 80 MPH on a 70 limit). I had never seen that before, but maybe that was always there.

I was going to make a similar post!! When I come home from work, I take an exit off the interstate and it goes into a pretty wide traffic stop. I need to turn left but FSD wouldn't make it into the left and instead would try to turn right. I disengaged and hit the record button the past 3 days. Today, it didnt try to turn into the right side lanes; it actually got into the left turn lane. But then when the light turned green, the car tried to swerve rightwards so I disengaged again and hit record. Hope someone is feeding these recordings into NN and teaching it!

I'm just going to drive the way I always have. Trying to drive to Teslas standard and survive in Houston traffic is unacceptable.
Yes, me too. I drive like I always drive. Frankly, I don't care to get the beta early and risk testing it for everyone else. I only opted into the scoring to see how Tesla scores the way I normally drive and not trying to get a good score. Interestingly I am at a 98 with over 2100 miles and the wife certainly doesn't think I drive like a grandma, so I don't understand all this talk about needing to drive like granny to score high. There sure are a lot of postings of people that just don't want to admit they drive like an idiot. ;)

OK, I had something really weird happen today. I'm on the freeway in an exit only lane. The car recognizes this and puts on the blinker to change lanes. someone is blocking me--unintentionally--and my car neither speeds up or slows down to merge, BTW there is no one behind the blocking car. At the last moment I disengage AP and slow down to merge. I re-engage AP--but the expanded FSD visualization does not reappear. It looks like normal AP. I'm thinking: "Crap, did I just get myself kicked out of Beta?" I tried disengaging and reengaging, no good. AP is engaged like I didn't have Beta. So I take the next exit. The moment I'm on the off ramp the expanded visualization appears and Beta is fully functional again. I pull over, put it in park and check that all options are still selected. That's all good, so I'm thinking it's a glitch. So I engage AP and FSD takes me onto the freeway. The second I'm past the on ramp, visualization goes back to old non-beta AP. The car takes the intended off ramp like it should, and Beta is back. It takes me right to the front door of the restaurant, I have lunch, and back on the Freeway Beta visualization is gone again. It comes back again exiting the freeway. The car acts like Beta is functional on the freeway, just no visualization while on the freeway. Has anyone else had this issue? Thoughts?

Wow... Fsd beta's does lane changes in tighter spaces.

In SF, 10.2 changed lanes ahead of a double parked car in a way that blew my mind. I saw the double parked car way ahead in a 3 lane one-way road. We had a right turn in 0.3 miles, so we had to be in the right lane. The dbl parked car didn't have hazards on. Somehow, 10.2 figured it out, changed lanes to the left between two close cars, and then changed back. Very smooth, expert level.

Perhaps predictable - but not what I expected !

Here are the specific things I think where FSD is worse than I expected.
- Jerky steeling wheel movements. I've seen this in some videos - but thought it happens when the car isn't sure what to do (edge cases)
- Sudden slow downs for no apparent reason. AP didn't have this problem.
- Sudden disengagements.

BTW, there is some argument that FSD works better in CA than other places. I want to see more reviews by CA beta testers to see what they feel.
I'm in California and I really think it depends on the street type, on the wide open fast speed limit roads it works great. I've had a lot of trouble in my neighborhood. It isn't so good at handling bike lanes, needs to be more free to cross them.

How many miles have FSD Beta Testers driven since they've joined the program?
  • Join FSD Beta Program: Oct. 11, 2021
  • Miles driven since: 25 (Working From Home)
  • Safety Score: Removed from iOS app (Previous was 100/100)
I plan on driving more this weekend to get a haircut, run some errands, grab food with friends. I would rate my experience 7/10 with a few disengagement especially when it follows the navigation and I takeover for drive another route. I also changed my speed offset from +5 to +0 MPH for mainly driving through residential areas where it goes a bit too fast and for speed bumps. I also thinking of changing my acceleration mode to "chill" so it's not accelerating so abruptly through turns so aggressively.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
It isn't so good at handling bike lanes, needs to be more free to cross them.

Yep, I need to write an email to Tesla about this, though I'm sure they already know about the limitation. It should get into the bike lane, or at least to the extreme right hand side of the lane, for this right hand turn (people are routinely flying along this road at 60mph and FSD Beta likes to slow down to 15-20mph in the middle of the lane (not even the hint of a move to the right) to make the turn.

I assume this happens to everyone.

I gave up on the Streetview link since it won't resolve correctly. 🤷‍♂️

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 4.18.23 PM.png

Any decent human driver here evaluates first whether anyone is following them. If someone is following, they determine whether there is anyone on the side walk or in the bike lane, moves to the right somewhat, regardless, & moves more to the right into the dashed area if the lane is clear. Human drivers also slow down more abruptly minimizing the turning time and risk of a rear-end collision if there is traffic behind, or slow down gradually and smoothly if there is not.

When there is a cyclist present in the bike lane right next to the intersection, the decisions to make are more complicated (might slow down & move into bike lane behind the cyclist).

(At this intersection cars routinely fly through the dark brown fence - you can see it's freshly painted here.) I don't know quite how it happens but I assume it's from getting rear ended as they turn - or possibly being completely drunk or somehow overcooking the turn and locking up the brakes? It's very odd that this happens at all, actually, but I've seen it happen three times now. One way or another excessive speed is a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainRatMat
Jeb, here is the post on Tesla FI with "S Plaid" installs - I guess Vincent lives in Virginia, since that is the extra 1 install that brought the S Plaid total to 10

VirginiaUnited States

That is the part cut of from the pdf
@Ryan27 looks you're looking at version 2021.36, which is NOT the FSD beta 10.2 version.

If you look at version 2021.32.25 version, which is the proper FSD beta public release, you’ll see that no Plaid models have received this version.

Just got back from spending four hours driving non-stop. Haven't even caught up with the thread yet. I took a fellow St. Georgian on an FSD Adventure, and quite the adventure it was!

Overall, it performed decently to well on well marked roads, with a few exceptions, one of which is a real head scratcher. Five lane road. Two lanes each direction with a center turn lane. Brand new paint on top of a fresh re-surface. 50 mph speed limit. No traffic, either direction.

Car decides to move over so that it is half in one lane, half in the other, and slows down to a complete stop. Just sits there. No notifications, nada. The correct action would have been to continue driving straight for the next mile. After sitting there for about ten seconds looking the screens over to see WTF is going on, a car shows up in the rear view mirror, so I disengaged, accelerated, and hit the report button. Absolutely no idea why it decided to do this.

I've seen quite a few YouTube videos of it handling traffic circles quite well. I did ten traffic circles today, and to say that it didn't do them well is an understatement.

There were quite a few other events, but nothing that hasn't already been discussed, so I'll just leave it at that.

Looks like there's been a bunch of posts in this thread that I gotta catch up on.

@jebinc You aren't missing out. FSD Beta in its current incarnation is stressful to use. I'll be going out there and beating on it like I previously said, but I'm going to be doing a lot more of it at night when the roads are empty. It's just too harrowing to use in the areas that it needs to be driven in when other traffic is around. IMO, going out and driving in areas where it already shows competence isn't useful. It needs data on the areas and situations it fails in, so Tesla will be getting tons of data from me driving and driving the same traffic circles and other areas that it fails.

Unfortunately, some of the ways (there are many of them) in which it fails traffic circles requires there to be other drivers in and around the traffic circle in question. Fun!

Last edited:
Just got back from spending four hours driving non-stop. Haven't even caught up with the thread yet. I took a fellow St. Georgian on an FSD Adventure, and quite the adventure it was!

Overall, it performed decently to well on well marked roads, with a few exceptions, one of which is a real head scratcher. Five lane road. Two lanes each direction with a center turn lane. Brand new paint on top of a fresh re-surface. 50 mph speed limit. No traffic, either direction.

Car decides to move over so that it is half in one lane, half in the other, and slows down to a complete stop. Just sits there. No notifications, nada. After sitting there for about ten seconds looking the screens over to see WTF is going on, a car shows up in the rear view mirror, so I disengaged, accelerated, and hit the report button. Absolutely no idea why it decided to do this.

I've seen quite a few YouTube videos of it handling traffic circles quite well. I did ten traffic circles today, and to say that it didn't do them well is an understatement.

There were quite a few other events, but nothing that hasn't already been discussed, so I'll just leave it at that.

Looks like there's been a bunch of posts in this thread that I gotta catch up on.

@jebinc You aren't missing out. FSD Beta in its current incarnation is stressful to use. I'll be going out there and beating on it like I previously said, but I'm going to be doing a lot more of it at night when the roads are empty. It's just too harrowing to use in the areas that it needs to be driven in when other traffic is around. IMO, going out and driving in areas where it already shows competence isn't useful. It needs data on the areas and situations it fails in, so Tesla will be getting tons of data from me driving and driving the same traffic circles and other areas that it fails.

Unfortunately, some of the ways in which it fails traffic circles requires there to be other drivers in and around the traffic circle in question. Fun!
@Phlier I would think your training efforts in your remote area will be rewarded on those routes when you get the new regressions in v10.3. Let me know if that turns out to be true! You won’t see improvements prior to that, I don’t think.

Perhaps predictable - but not what I expected !

Here are the specific things I think where FSD is worse than I expected.
- Jerky steeling wheel movements. I've seen this in some videos - but thought it happens when the car isn't sure what to do (edge cases)
- Sudden slow downs for no apparent reason. AP didn't have this problem.
- Sudden disengagements.

BTW, there is some argument that FSD works better in CA than other places. I want to see more reviews by CA beta testers to see what they feel.
I am in the San Diego area, and I have noticed all of things you mention above. Sometimes I think the sudden disengagements are it jerking the wheel, and me gripping so hard that it disengages. :)

The one thing I think that has been worse than I expected is the sudden slow downs (or phantom braking). I don't recall anything like this with AP, as you said. Honestly, it is what worries me the most, i.e. getting rear-ended.

As people have said...when it is going well, it is amazing...and when it goes bad, it goes amazingly bad.

AFAIK, the yoke is still connected to a steering column, so this isn't even possible. Also, while I don't have a yoke, I think all this fear of "getting hurt by the yoke" is overblown. The only time the steering apparatus can spin at a "dangerous speed" is when you are moving very slowly. When you are moving very slowly, disengaging by a light touch on the brake should be inconsequential, and then you can grab the yoke that isn't moving anymore anyway.

Not necessarily, I've seen multiple suggestions that you have 3 seconds after a disengagement before the metrics count. I also have experience that says this is plausible. There is a construction area where I leave FSD on if there is a vehicle in front of me so I don't get unsafe following, and it disengaged yesterday while it was following way too closely. I re-engaged within one second and the app still showed 0% unsafe following for that trip.

Why are people acting like the old "Elon time" thing is still "the norm"? This 2 week release cycle has pretty much stayed on track for months up until recently, and then it's only lost days. Specifcally, 10.1 was about 2 days behind and 10.2 was about 3 days behind (which probably means that the time between 10.1 and 10.2 was actually 15 days, since it technically wasn't started until 2 days late). If they are close enough next week on Friday, it could come out Sunday night (normal 14 day cycle), but if they push it out a full week (to 19 days after the previous release), it would still come out on the 29th (or, you know, 0:00 PDT on the 30th, technically).
Give me a break man. I’m a huge Elon supporter but you know he makes these public statements to motivate his development staff. The past norm has been YEARS off. So me saying he’s going to miss his target by a few weeks is a huge improvement.

Reactions: impastu
worse than I expected is the sudden slow downs (or phantom braking).
Yup, phantom braking is much, much worse than it ever has been.

As people have said...when it is going well, it is amazing...and when it goes bad, it goes amazingly bad.
And the rate at which it can go from amazing to horrible is, itself, amazing.

You won’t see improvements prior to that, I don’t think.
Yup, I'm pretty sure you're right. Honestly, I'd be surprised to see improvements before 10.4. I'm sure there's quite a bit of time involved to process all the data they get. I'll hammer them with data and then wait a few months before repeating the same areas that required the reporting.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
It must include under 50mph. I got one during the two week period on a drive where I was never over 50. Where I think I got it I was about 38 or so. Starting to slow for an upcoming stop when a car pulled out in front of me.
You can find this in the Tesla app. Perhaps it’s not measured as they state but here is an excerpt: “Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph and is incorporated into the Safety Score formula as a percentage. Unsafe following while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula.”

• Informative
Reactions: spokey
Does anyone know how many reports the data buffer can hold?

I remember reading somewhere that if you keep hitting the report button, at some point it just dumps the oldest report to make room for the latest. So basically, at some point you're losing reports as new ones are added.

It would be great if The Elon would let us know how many reports the system can cache before they start getting overwritten.... how many we can do before we need to go connect to WiFi and upload before we continue on.

Reactions: ahoen117
That's normal. Beta only works off highway. On highway, it's the production code with some extra features.
Thanks! The "Freeway" I had been on is actually a highway apparently, and Beta visualization works there. NOA would never engage on that road either prior to Beta. But when I hit the actual freeway I was surprised to see no visualization, which I only noticed after the failed merge.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc