Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a 10 mile drive that included a lot of things but low traffic outside of Interstate and not one disengagement. Couple of small issues

On a merge onto a street with a yeild, it came to a stop for like 5 seconds even though it was clear. Nobody was behind me so I could be patient but if there was someone, I would have had to accelerate.

Then it also does this weird thing in my area. My neighborhood has these corners where instead of the street just doing a 90 degree turn, there is a big cul-de-sac area for the turn. The fsd treats it as a stop sign which it should not. Again, nobody was behind me so I let it go, and I'd say it stops there about 80% of the time. The other 20% it does it correctly.

Reactions: dduffey and eli_
I initially got many disengagements on turns in FSD, until I realized I was doing it. If you are gripping the wheel while it is jerking back and forth during a hesitent turn, FSD will easily disengage. Let the wheel do its thing without gripping it during the turn. . Keep your hands on the wheel but don't grip it like you would to prevent a nag. It doesn't take much of a tug to disengage as it did before without FSD in AP. If you need to intervene, you can easily then grab the wheel, but otherwise, let the wheel turn under your hanfs without gripping it.
I think I was causing the disengagements as well. I was very nervous about hitting the curb or the speed of a turn that I think I grabbed the wheel and caused the disengagement. I am a safe driver and having 10.2 beta on has caused me to be hyper vigilant during a drive.

I initially got many disengagements on turns in FSD, until I realized I was doing it. If you are gripping the wheel while it is jerking back and forth during a hesitent turn, FSD will easily disengage. Let the wheel do its thing without gripping it during the turn. . Keep your hands on the wheel but don't grip it like you would to prevent a nag. It doesn't take much of a tug to disengage as it did before without FSD in AP. If you need to intervene, you can easily then grab the wheel, but otherwise, let the wheel turn under your hanfs without gripping it.

I think I was causing the disengagements as well. I was very nervous about hitting the curb or the speed of a turn that I think I grabbed the wheel and caused the disengagement. I am a safe driver and having 10.2 beta on has caused me to be hyper vigilant during a drive.

Good feedback and yes definitely possible on a few disengagements I caused them. Will take your advice on my next drive. I remember it took a little practice to learn how to hold the wheel to prevent nagging.

Reactions: impastu
Been working for me. I have only had one outage the entire time and that was when Tesla scraped the 100's for the release. Has not been unavailable for even a few minutes before or after.

2,182 miles with a 99%
anybody else find it kind of funny that people that don't even drive their cars more than 4 miles a day want the FSD Beta 🤦‍♂️
Agree. I have 1500 miles with a score of 99.32, including the last 700 miles without a single ding.

FSD thus far is a total disappointment and does not live up to what Musk trouts and the youtube influencers post. My experience as been 100% opposite of thiers.

To me, FSD is performing just about as I expected, based on the videos. Every video I’ve seen of FSD Beta has looked extremely rough, with some good behavior and plenty of jerkiness and incorrect behaviors, and my experience matches that. When watching the videos, I usually turn down the volume so I cannot hear what they are saying, though - didn’t want to have my evaluation biased by the commentary!
This seems to be one of two changes designed to ensure good vision. The other change is the auto high beam headlights can't be removed from auto.
Yes, isn’t the modified auto high beams behavior part of Tesla Vision? These changes will remain (I think!) even after completely disabling FSD Beta in the menus, because it looks like the car will still use Tesla Vision even if it has radar, when the Beta is disabled.

This is the issue I see with the yoke. I'm having to have very light inward pressure on the wheel to prevent disengagement, so when the missing part of the yoke comes around your hand will move inward slightly. When it's spinning the wheel quickly, it's going to hit your hand and cause a disengagement and probably hurt somewhat. It requires very little resistance to disengage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu and Dan D.
Maybe we'll see a video from Vincent Yu using the yoke with FSD Beta.

One question I have is how much it would hurt to be hit by the yoke during a fast spin. It looks like the wheel can turn several times in a fraction of a second, and it has flat and pointy surfaces that could contact your hands.

Likely you'd not be able to shadow-steer the yoke during a sharp turn like you can do with the wheel, so you might have to hover your hands nearby. I guess we'll see how it works soon.
If true, why did they force the yoke on all refreshed owners???? Guess they didn’t want them to ever have FSD? Nahhhh, that doesn’t make sense. Must be some other reason.

Last edited:
I have a very similar experience as you. FSD thus far is a total disappointment and does not live up to what Musk trouts and the youtube influencers post.
Pic of Musk trouting so you can't say it didn't happen.
pescador-pescadorcito.gif

Despite all the jerkiness and uncomfortable acceleration / deceleration, fsd beta completes many maneuvers almost perfectly, especially left turns. This is mind boggling for vision-only, without hd maps, etc.

IMO, there are a bunch of minor issues (one that bothers me most right now is squeezing in for right turns and moving right for right turns) that prevent FSD beta from being amazing. Tesla will address these minor comfort and preferential issues after the major issues (like running into road closures) are mostly resolved.

Late 2017 have AP 2.5 but early 2017 late 2016 have AP2. The cameras changed from AP2 to AP2.5
I am very aware of this change. I have a 2017 Sept. 30 MS with AP2.5. I believe the change from AP2 - AP2.5 happened in late summer 2017. When I had a test drive before ordering my MS the guy said we can check inventory. I said I wanted a AP2.5 car so that is a must. He said they are EXACTLY the same. I gave up trying to explain to him there was a difference. At the time I upgraded my AP2.5 to AP3 (along with MCU2) some were saying you could not upgrade AP2 to AP3. So there is that. But yes you also have the difference with the cameras. I think you do not have COLOR on some of them???

I am very aware of this change. I have a 2017 Sept. 30 MS with AP2.5. I believe the change from AP2 - AP2.5 happened in late summer 2017. When I had a test drive before ordering my MS the guy said we can check inventory. I said I wanted a AP2.5 car so that is a must. He said they are EXACTLY the same. I gave up trying to explain to him there was a difference. At the time I upgraded my AP2.5 to AP3 (along with MCU2) some were saying you could not upgrade AP2 to AP3. So there is that. But yes you also have the difference with the cameras. I think you do not have COLOR on some of them???
I think some of them are "two color" instead of "three color." My understanding is that this isn't a problem for computer vision and filters can mostly put the color back in human form for dashcam, but I'm no expert and this is only my interpretation of things I've read. Also, FWIW, my July 2017 MX had AP2.5 before it was upgraded, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as a "late summer" change.

I have 10.2 beta and for the first time ever I had the windshield wipers and the cleaning spray come on automatically during a drive. It was very sunny out this morning with no rain at all. I am 100% sure I didn't engage the spray.
I’m not sure if you missed it or you didn’t get the notification I got. I received a warning my front camera was dirty and roughly five minutes later my wipers cleaned the windshield.

I think some of them are "two color" instead of "three color." My understanding is that this isn't a problem for computer vision and filters can mostly put the color back in human form for dashcam, but I'm no expert and this is only my interpretation of things I've read. Also, FWIW, my July 2017 MX had AP2.5 before it was upgraded, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as a "late summer" change.
I thought it was July. Was you X built in July? Getting my seasons mixed.

Despite all the jerkiness and uncomfortable acceleration / deceleration, fsd beta completes many maneuvers almost perfectly, especially left turns. This is mind boggling for vision-only, without hd maps, etc.

IMO, there are a bunch of minor issues (one that bothers me most right now is squeezing in for right turns and moving right for right turns) that prevent FSD beta from being amazing. Tesla will address these minor comfort and preferential issues after the major issues (like running into road closures) are mostly resolved.
I've had it do some dangerous things. I was waiting in a left turn lane while the light was red with cars ahead of me. You could see the path vector jumping to the lane to my right which was a straight lane. Then all of the sudden it decided it was going to enter the right lane to go around the cars ahead of me. There were cars approaching in that lane, so I had to quickly disengage. I mean what was it going to do, pass them on the right and left turn in front of them at a red light?

At another left turn, the light turned yellow as the car ahead made the turn. Fsd paused briefly before making the turn and the light turned red. The steering wheel started moving back and forth for a while, and then it decided it was going to take the left through the red light. Brakes.

Generally, it's pretty amazing, though.

At another left turn, the light turned yellow as the car ahead made the turn. Fsd paused briefly before making the turn and the light turned red. The steering wheel started moving back and forth for a while, and then it decided it was going to take the left through the red light. Brakes.
That sounds about right. I have 99 score so no beta for me but I have started to run yellow lights to prevent HARD BREAKING :)

One think I thought was strange and I wouldn't do as a driver... when coming off a highway exit this morning there were 2 right turn lanes and I was taking a right. It cut across 2 lanes to get in the right most turn lane even though there was one right next to it. The one it didn't want to take was a lane where you could go straight or turn. Two times I have seen it take the turn only lane rather than the one where you could go straight too. Maybe it thinks it's safer?

To me, FSD is performing just about as I expected, based on the videos. Every video I’ve seen of FSD Beta has looked extremely rough, with some good behavior and plenty of jerkiness and incorrect behaviors, and my experience matches that. When watching the videos, I usually turn down the volume so I cannot hear what they are saying, though - didn’t want to have my evaluation biased by the commentary!

Yes, isn’t the modified auto high beams behavior part of Tesla Vision? These changes will remain (I think!) even after completely disabling FSD Beta in the menus, because it looks like the car will still use Tesla Vision even if it has radar, when the Beta is disabled.

Ugh. If high beam AI were better, I'd be ok with this. I feel like such a jerk testing at night because the brights don't react quickly enough (or at all when following someone).

I would feel better about FSD if it could return me to my house:) I live on a 100 yard small residential road and it cannot make the turn at either end. Not even close. I have to back up and take the turn myself but I will remain the optimist.