Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at least the map claims to be google. guess other data could come from somewhere else.

I think it's something like this:
  • Map tile graphics and aerial imagery: Google
  • POI database: Google
  • Turn-by-turn routes: OSM/Valhalla (was Garmin/Navigon ages ago)
  • Speed limits: TomTom??
  • Smart summon pathing: OSM
  • Traffic weights: Tesla (used to be INRIX?)

at least the map claims to be google. guess other data could come from somewhere else.

View attachment 721191

There seems to be a difference between what the car software uses for routing / driving vs what it shows on the screen. For summon - the comments say - they might use different maps for the car & the phone, for eg !

Looking at various comments and various sources people are suggesting - I won't be surprised if Tesla has their own combined version of the map. Essentially an amalgamation of map data from different providers - that should theoretically be be better than any individual map source.

I should also note that even with my sprained ankle I took a more scenic route back to my house from the gym, just to see how FSD would do on some twisty residential streets. Did an excellent job on some very winding streets, but a caveat is that it was around 9:30pm so not a lot of traffic in my suburb. Only disengagements on my way home were to change the routing so it took more more interesting route home. I’m suffering a bit more now since I delayed icing my ankle by 15-20 minutes because I was playing with the Beta, but I had fun, so worth it, I guess, lol.

I THINK it comes from TomTom maps, this is from dumps I've seen of the car's firmware logs. OSM/Valhalla is used for turn-by-turn routes. There's also crowdsourced speeds on highway ramps that comes from the Tesla fleet.
Here's my guess. I think the car primarily reads speed limit signs. If there are no posted limit signs it assigns a speed limit based on the road type. For example, my road is private and the Tesla speed limit is 10 mph. It connects to a residential road and the Tesla speed limit is 25 mph. This is with FSD beta. If this is how it works it really should be changed to a crowd source model.

View attachment 721191
I've made changes to both OSM and google. I have no idea which is used by Tesla. I am concerned about the long time period between updates of the maps that Tesla uses. If the FSD uses both map and visual data for its decision making if only half of the data is current I can see where errors caused by omissions could occur. For example in a previous post I ask the question " If you are following a high profile vehicle (semi) through an intersection and the driver nor the cameras can see the traffic light (red or green) what will the car do?" When I ask this question I made an assumption that may not be true, that is the car knows because of the maps stored in its memory, there is a traffic light there. Because if it does not know from the map it will not know from visual either until it is to late to react. Therefore if Tesla wanted a failsafe system, in this case slowing the car until it confirmed a green light, it should have the most up to dated maps and they should be updated frequently.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Here's my guess. I think the car primarily reads speed limit signs. If there are no posted limit signs it assigns a speed limit based on the road type. For example, my road is private and the Tesla speed limit is 10 mph. It connects to a residential road and the Tesla speed limit is 25 mph. This is with FSD beta. If this is how it works it really should be changed to a crowd source model.
No - it picks the speed from map data. The posted limits can override the map data ... if the map data has no speed, it might use some defaults.

True, but for me that wouldn't be a problem, as my hand never leaves the wheel when FSD is on. Ever.

With a yoke car, I'd have my hand firmly in the hand mold, and it wouldn't ever get a chance to reach max rpm, as I'd disengage it with counter torque before it reached a point in rotation that I'd have to switch and/or reposition hand(s).

But this would definitely be a problem for guys that don't hold the wheel/yoke. And I'm not saying you can't safely operate with your hand off the wheel, either. But IMO, it is better to do so.
Yeah, I can’t imagine taking my hand off the yoke while Beta is on if I had one. It would seem to be way too hard to consistently grab it mid spin to override with a yoke.

Sprained my ankle playing basketball last night and Beta did a great job getting me home. 20 miles of driving yesterday mostly on Beta. My score did drop to 99 overall due to a 96 yesterday; presumably I got dinged for some of my disengagements.
You have FSD Beta and can still see your Safety Score? I can’t even after rebooting the Tesla app. (I can of course see it on my other Tesla that didn’t get the Beta.)

A couple of new observations from my third day on 10.2:
  1. There is a street that ends with barriers, but has a left turn into a subdivision. Pre-FSD, the car would want to barrel right through the barriers. With FSD, the first two days, it seemed like it would barrel through, but made a last-minute left turn. Then today, it was silky smooth like it should be. I had pressed the video snapshot button yesterday, so I wonder if someone is really looking at these or there is any processing. I will have to see what it does tomorrow.
  2. On-ramp to freeway today that did great on day one, but was pretty aggressive yesterday and today, it didn't even want to slow down, so I had to disengage to avoid taking the turn too fast. So seems to have a mind of its own!
  3. We had a lot of fog on my route. When visibility was low, it said AP speed was being limited due to visibility and dropped down to 60 MPH (from 80 MPH on a 70 limit). I had never seen that before, but maybe that was always there.
What do you think of putting a student driver sign in the back window?
I already did this - I wasn't joking - I ended up buying the Robotaxi in Training magnet and a Caution magnet. I also ordered an FSD vinyl like the oval country code stickers so at least other Tesla owners know what is going on.

It seems to me that the car often cuts the corner on right turns, but does a good job on left turns. I've had several interventions to prevent curb rash on right turns, none on left turns. Thoughts?
I have been most worried about the left turns honestly that have an island right at the turn. I will have to upload some video of the peculiar situations it finds itself. It comes really close to hitting the curb but has done well all three days to miss it. On an unmarked road near my office, it takes a left turn by actually cutting through the oncoming lane. But in the other direction, it stops and creeps forward before turning right even without a stop sign. It is as if it thinks there is just one lane. I may check OpenStreetMaps to see if there is some issue with that road, but it should take a much wider left.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
FSD hates to turn into here:

unknown.png

Maybe because it's slightly raised like a curb. It's like "curb/not-curb/curb/not-curb/curb" and the wheel shakes back and forth violently. Sometimes it just sails past the turn at full speed.

You have FSD Beta and can still see your Safety Score? I can’t even after rebooting the Tesla app. (I can of course see it on my other Tesla that didn’t get the Beta.)
I am able to see my safety score in TeslaFi and I see I have dropped to 98. It looks like I had some additional hard braking when I was running off of AP for a bit. But it is no longer in the app.

1634160547019.png

There is a road near me that has a number of changes in its 5+ mile length but starts near my house at 45. The speed icon changes mostly when I pass a speed limit sign. But if I go from a 55mph divided highway at the other end, the icon in the car has 40 mph when the speed is really 35 mph. It does change to 35 when the first sign is passed. Don't know how it is getting the 40 except from a database somewhere. That said, interestingly enough, the next limit about 1 1/2 miles down the road is 40 mph. It completely ignores the slowdown to 25 around some pretty tight turns. I thumbwheel down as I approach those.

NJ has sort of two residual default limits 25 and in more rural areas 35. I don't think there is any 40 default.

FSD at night in rain is pretty terrifying, it's extra jerky in turns. Driving on empty road I get a FCW sound and it swerves around totally empty space. My wife hates this thing and I think I won't be using it again until I'm alone in the car.

In the Beta request button they should have a fourth checkmark where you check that you're single.

So far the spousal acceptance rate seems to be REALLY low.