Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went for a short drive with 10.3.1.

The car is now following too close to the preceding car with follow distance set at 7. Didn't get a chance to see what other settings did, as 7 was too close as it was.

Had the car do a really strange left turn. Decided to swing way over to the right side shoulder before moving over into the left turn lane.

Phantom braking is now more like "phantom slowing." It's like the car tries to do a phantom brake, but settles on just slowing down a bit instead. Total phantom slowing/braking events were fewer, though, than 10.2.

No FCW's or AEB events, with AEB on and FCW set to Medium (which was the default setting for both after the firmware was installed).

FSD did a few really nice, gentle, smooth decelerations to stop at traffic lights, and still really struggled with Stop signs... rapid stops, jerky deceleration, and stopping waaay short of the line.

Car is still way too assertive when it shouldn't be, and way too meek when it shouldn't be.

Still hogs the middle of the road on unmarked roads. They should at least have it set so that it keeps the imaginary middle of the road line to the outside of the left wheels, but my car wants its half right down the center.

Apparently, they've done some work on the NoA stack. Had some odd behavior not seen on previous versions.... wanted me to "change lanes to follow route" for absolutely no reason at all and a few other oddities.

Also had a few times that the enhanced visualizations would disappear after manually disengaging FSD and wouldn't appear again until FSD was engaged. It's not a consistent bug, though; sometimes the visualizations would stay on after a disengagement, other times they're gone until FSD is engaged again.

Overall, I'd say it's a bit smoother in some instances, but no real ground breaking progress... but then again, after reading the release notes I didn't really expect any.

There seems to be a somewhat common misunderstanding of what ‘beta testing’ means (and how it’s different than production products like Tesla AP that are still labeled as beta e.g. - games like TF2 for 10 years, Google Gmail for 5.5 years, many Google products for that matter, etc.)

Issues like this 10.3 rollout should be expected (or at least unsurprising) for anyone familiar with beta testing.
Tesla literally sends all of us an email telling us the Beta is in early access testing and that it can and will do the wrong thing at the wrong time at anytime and we have to be ready and able to take over every millisecond it is in Beta. I guess some people just ignore that or don’t take it seriously for some reason?

Car performed a really impressive unprotected left into a parking lot for me. Somewhat busy street with a stream of cars, the car apparently spotted a somewhat brief gap, did a slow pre-roll as a car passed and completed the turn smoothly before the trailing cars came close. Basically exactly what I would have done.

And then the car had a brief freak out in the parking lot because the lane splits and it couldn’t figure out which one it should go to, lol. No cars following me or around me in the lot, so I let it do its thing, which was to go towards the left lane before deciding to swerve into the right lane at the last second. Snap shot it, even though I know the Beta isn’t supposed to be used in parking lots yet.

Edit - worth noting that I had the Beta set to aggressive when it made that left.

No doubt that 10.3.1 is relatively smother especially less Phantom Braking but this is about what needs work.

Still road "hogging" on unmarked roads with on street parking. Just loves to ride to the left and "bully" oncoming cars to get over.

Also when cars parked on both sides and on coming cars it wants to play "chicken". Makes you look like an a$$ when the other person is looking you in the eye to "negotiate" who goes first and how.

Really bad at pulling up to turn with unmarked lanes. To right turn it moves all the way over to left (like a truck and trailer move) and often into the oncoming traffic lane, with the right blinker on. People coming from behind will be confused or pull to the right of you. Also have had a problem blocking car wanting to turn in the road and I'm over the line partially blocking their lane.

Also usually stopping too far back at many Stop Signs and very un-human like and confusing/aggregating to people behind you.

Tesla literally sends all of us an email telling us the Beta is in early access testing and that it can and will do the wrong thing at the wrong time at anytime and we have to be ready and able to take over every millisecond it is in Beta. I guess some people just ignore that or don’t take it seriously for some reason?
Since I am not a software engineer, I made the assumption that I was getting basically the current production vision release with the FSD code "on top". The warnings seem geared to when using the FSD features. I assumed that if FSD Beta was too crazy, I could just turn off the features in the UI and be back to running the production code.

The fact that a large FSD bug manifested while driving manually with all FSD features turned off was alarming to me and honestly, I wouldn't have signed up for the beta if I had realized I had to be prepared for the car to do thenwrong thing at the worst time even when driving completely manually. I havent even accepted the disclaimers on my car since I haven't toggled any FSD features on yet, I wanted to spend a week or so seeing how the vision AP was different first.

Reactions: RenaeTM and nvx1977
Since I am not a software engineer, I made the assumption that I was getting basically the current production vision release with the FSD code on top. The warnings seem geared to when using the FSD features. I assumed that if FSD Beta was too crazy, I could just turn off the features in the UI and be back to running the production code.

The fact that a large FSD bug manifested while driving manually with all FSD features turned off was alarming to me and honestly, I wouldn't have signed up for the beta if I had realized I had to be prepared for the car to do thenwrong thing at the worst time even when driving completely manually. I havent even accepted the disclaimers on my car since I haven't toggled any FSD features on yet, I wanted to spend a week or so seeing how the vision AP was different first.

Yeah I think those of us with software dev backgrounds might have an advantage in terms of understanding how sh*t can hit the fan. What happened with 10.3 FSD beta could have happened to ANY firmware update, FSD or not. This is going to be true for Tesla and every other automaker that adopts firmware updates. Internal QA will never be perfect. It is its own march of 9s as past experiences improve the regression testing process.

Whenever I have to intervene while on Beta FSD navigation mode, I lose complete FSD Beta function. Vanishes. All switches show enabled but won’t work again. Disable rentable etc start a new drive and nothing! Reboot etc nada.

Visualizations are gone etc too? Ideas?

Ok magically 10-15 min or so later it just starts working?!?! WTF?

Last edited:
Whenever I have to intervene while on Beta FSD navigation mode, I lose complete FSD Beta function. Vanishes switched show enabled but won’t work again.

Tried parking getting out of car etc start a new drive nothing?!?!
Are you using yesterday's firmware release or the one released this morning?

The problem you're having was common with yesterday's release.

Edit: @rxlawdude types faster than me, apparently. ;)

Has anyone noticed any bug fixes in 10.3.1 vs 10.2 ?

Yet to take the car around to see if any of the issues I get near my house got fixed.
Seems a bit more confident with easy right handers, but none of my issues from 10.2 have been resolved. In fact, a narrow left-hander that i had learned to trust on 10.2 no longer inspires the same level of confidence for me on 10.3.1, so I have been disengaging, and there are a few other areas that worked before that no longer work. So all in all...I'd say 10.3.1 is more of a regression for me than improved...sigh...

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Just now discovering this thread. Here is a list of some of my experiences so far since getting the beta on Sunday night. This is not an exhaustive list.

1. While following a rightward bend on a residential street, car appeared to not see a vehicle parked on the passenger (right-hand) side and came uncomfortably close with no sign of stopping. Disengaged by pulling the steering wheel away.
  2. While making a right turn onto a street, car attempted to use a wide bike lane entrance on the right hand side separated by a concrete median as the turning lane. Disengaged via steering wheel.
  3. While traveling through the same intersection, but this time going straight, car attempted to merge into the left-turn only lane. Disengaged.
  4. Coming up to make a U-turn at an intersection with two lanes going straight and one left-turn only lane. Straight lanes had a green light, left-turn only lane had a red left turn arrow. Car got into the left-turn only lane, and did not brake at all. I gave it as much time as I safely could to see what the vehicle would do, but it gave no indication of stopping. Also, it gave no indication that it was going to perform a U-turn. This has by far been the biggest head-scratcher for me.
  5. While traveling down a two-lane (one in each direction) road that widens to add a bike lane with parked cars, car veered into the bike lane and appeared that it would hit a parked vehicle. Disengaged via steering wheel.
  6. Multiple instances of phantom braking, usually with tree shadows on the road.
  7. Multiple instances of hard stops about 15 feet prior to traffic control intersections - stop signs, traffic lights, even unprotected left turn lanes.
There's been plenty more hitches and glitches, but you get the idea. For me, a good drive is far more rare than a bad one. Obviously I flag all of these for the Autopilot team.

Drove around for a bit on 10.3.1 today to test these on the new release.

1. Haven't tested yet.
  2. Still an issue.
  3. Still an issue.
  4. Still an issue.
  5. Fixed. (Only tested once; will re-confirm.)
  6. Much better.
  7. Better.
Overall solid improvement. Pretty fast iteration really.

EDIT to add two other items that I encountered after drafting the initial list above:

8. While driving down a two-lane (one in each direction) road that widens to add a second lane, car veers hard into the new lane on the right over a series of diagonal hash marks that are clearly intended to denote that portion of the lane as a non-drivable area. Still an issue.
9. While driving down a four-lane (two in each direction) road that widens to add a large bike lane with a painted surface on the right after passing through an intersection, car attempts to veer into the bike lane. Fixed (Only tested once; will re-confirm).

Last edited: