Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be right, you might be wrong. Here in Indiana, we have masses of illegal aliens driving. They purchase insurance for a couple of days and then cancel it and get the money back. So they drive without insurance and they drive VERY, VERY carefully! You can always spot them because they are always driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit, hoping they don't get pulled over by the police. Their registration for the car is either in one of their friends name that is legal, or one that is dead. Hard to believe that same thing is not going on in CA?
Interested observation. Some ten years ago I was rear ended by an illegal alien then they ran. They were known in the neighborhood and were never seen again.

Last edited:
Same issue I have since 10.3 and continues on 10.3.1 as I posted this several days ago as well. The car, on chill, whatever, and 7 on FSD Streets follows way too close for my comfort as well. Others say they aren't having this issue.
I wasn't having this problem until 10.3.1, but now I have it, too. Even at 7, the car gets close enough that I've made a few people a bit peeved. One even brake checked me. I pulled up next to the guy at the next stop light and apologized profusely.

One of the most stressful parts of this whole beta testing thing is that I really try hard to be a courteous driver, and FSD Beta is anything but!

I'm not having the other issue you're having with speed control, but there is definitely something wrong with the follow distance logic this time around. At least for you and me.

Curious that this isn't affecting everyone, though.

The problem is bad enough that I'm not using FSD now if there's a car in front of me. Seriously limits the amount of time I spend with FSD engaged.

- When the speed limit changes to a lower speed, the slow-down is really smooth and natural; the driver seldom can detect the reduction in speed it is so gradual. The previous AP would use regenerative braking to quickly reduce speed.
As several subsequent posts have pointed out without associating, this is a double-edged sword. Manual speed adjustments are also very slow to kick in. It's also potentially problematic around speed traps.

Who knows if it’s just mapping? I only did the one drive and it was excellent at stops.
I don't think it can be "just mapping" because AFAIK, GPS isn't that accurate to begin with.
My advice is to disengage before roundabouts. Personally, I suspect that a dedicated roundabout routine is not implemented in 10.3.1. I suggest that it presently treats roundabouts as normal turns.
Why do you suspect that a dedicated routine is not implemented? Yesterday, on 10.3.1, I encountered a left through a roundabout so new that the navigation data thought it was still a 4-way stop. FSD handled it fine, even though navigation tried to re-route halfway through it thinking the turn had been missed..
You’re not helping anything by letting FSD do its thing. Just press that accelerator and intervene constantly - it will be just as good for data collection. If it’s not behaving correctly, correct it.

The only time I don’t do this is when there is no one else around and I’m specifically comparing (for my own information, with video to make sure I am being impartial in my judgements - it’s useless to Tesla) how the beta does in certain scenarios compared to prior versions.

Yes, this means I intervene a lot. Constantly! But there’s zero downside to it as far as Tesla is concerned; it is not like they are going to be overwhelmed by too many interventions - I would imagine the more, the better.
Part of me wonders if FSD doing slow things might be to capture more video frames. Even if it is, I'd still say agree one should override anytime it would inconvenience anyone else, but it would be nice to know if letting it go slow (still intervening before it cuts across the center, though) was potentially beneficial for future progression.

I have Beta on chill, and it follows too closely. Turns at stop signs take too long, especially when a car is turning into your lane at the same time. When on assertive, it felt like a friend of mine who drives with both feet, one on brake and one on accelerator. The car was constantly braking then accelerating, never a constant speed. There were also constant micro corrections with the steering wheel to maintain lane centering. On entry into curves, the braking was late and abrupt.

I was on 10.3 until about an hour ago (10.3.1 was available yesterday but I wanted to wait 24 hours before installing). I found that the disabling FCW pretty much worked around any issues I had with the botched 10.3 version FYI. So, I enabled FSD on the way to work (as 10.3) this morning and I thought it did pretty well. It was more assertive aka less like grandma and so far an improvement over what I had the previous two weeks.

It still seems to want to lane-change to the left lane when there is a right turn ahead, not sure why, but it was doing than on the highway AP before even before I had the beta. Same behavior though, where it's obvious to any sane human, that it's a bad move to get into the left lane, as you'll never get back over to make the right turn or exit.

I'll test 10.3.1 on the way home with FCW enabled again to see how it goes.

Reactions: jebinc
With more drives 10.3.1 has been a lot better for me than 10.2. It still makes mistakes and takes too long at times, but it’s handling most non complicated situations very well. I hope they address the following too closely in the next update and the amount of time it takes at a four way stop. Roundabouts have been hit and miss so far, at times it gets confused and just stops and other times it handles them surprising well. I think if anyone is waiting for it to drive like you might be used to,will be in for a long wait. Maybe we will just become more accustomed to how a computer drives.

How does the new 10.3.1 FSD beta profile (chill, average, assertive) interact with the previous (and still exists) AP following distance setting (setting 1 thru 7 using the right scroll wheel) and speed-based lane changes setting (mild, average, Mad Max)? Does the new FSD beta profile override those other two, apply sometimes while the other two apply other times (I can't think of when one would be used vs the other), or somehow merge/average these settings together? At least for exiting the passing lane, I can see how that setting is now only applied if FSD beta profile is either chill or average (and assertive would override whatever exit passing lane setting you have).

In any case, was thankfully able to download and install 10.3.1 before heading out yesterday for more than a total of 125 miles. Some highway, a lot of dense urban city, and even newly constructed roads and unmapped areas. A few things I've noticed since 10.2 and compared to before:

1) I got phantom braking pre-FSD beta only once in awhile. Shadows, overpasses, etc. rarely seemed to phase my radar-equipped 2018 Model 3. It did happen, but infrequent enough that my guess is maybe every couple months I'd experience it? It was worse when I first got the car, but seemed to be less frequent over time. Granted, this car has only driving in California so maybe it's "tuned" to our tree shadows and overpasses better? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Ever since 10.2 FSD beta (when my car supposedly switched to vision-only), I haven't experienced any hard phantom braking at all. I have once in awhile experienced a slight slow down. It's gentle, and if no one's behind I let it continue so I can try to understand what it's trying, but sometimes I end up overriding it with the accelerator pedal (not fully disengaging FSD beta/NoA), then letting up a few seconds later and it takes over/resumes just fine. Strange.

2) I drove up some VERY steep neighborhood roads that have a 4 way stop at the top. This is the only time I've experienced it stopping WAY too early. I was out of my seat trying to look over the car hood to monitor what it was going to do. It seemed to treat the stopping line way too early as well, meaning once it stopped and thought it was clear (I'm not confident it could see if I couldn't), it accelerated through the 4 way stop as if it was our turn. There was once that pedestrians were crossing in front, which the car seemed to hesitate for, but the instant I felt it accelerating even a little as if it was safe to go through, I hit the brakes to disengage because it was maybe not gonna hit them, but too close for comfort. (And I reported that as well.)

3) It does well in the rain. There was one instance of maybe a couple minutes it complained about poor weather, but the warning went away and NoA came back just fine.

4) Vision only NoA on highways seems fine. I wish 80 wasn't the limit but can understand the caution at this time.

5) It was handling most stop signs & right turns on red much better than 10.2, but there were a couple it creeped so slowly again that I ended up taking over to not spook the people waiting/behind me.

6) In an industrial warehouse area with hardly any cars but a lot of new construction (including roads closed and new roads created), I did a demo for some clients that were curious. It went very poorly. 😂 The navigation was way off because of all the road changes, and that just messed with the FSD beta like no other. It was interesting and kind of amazing to see when FSD beta's realtime vision and path planning would override the navigation and miss a turn, forcing the navigation to reroute, but all too often it was just so confused and cautious, and sometimes decide to follow the navigation which meant barreling towards a newly placed cement curb, barrier, etc. and I'd have to override as my passengers screamed. Needless to say, all my hyping of how reliable it was most of the time and only needing few disengagements was somewhat discredited in their eyes.

but it would be nice to know if letting it go slow (still intervening before it cuts across the center, though) was potentially beneficial for future progression.

I don't think so. The car itself is not getting smarter simply by doing. It is not learning. If it takes a long time to make a decision, it will always take a long time to make a decision because it is not getting smarter. The only brain getting smarter is the one Tesla trains and then deploys to all the cars. To make that brain smarter, we need to intervene, and that data can be used to teach the master brain how to better execute.

I don't think so. The car itself is not getting smarter simply by doing. It is not learning. If it takes a long time to make a decision, it will always take a long time to make a decision because it is not getting smarter. The only brain getting smarter is the one Tesla trains and then deploys to all the cars. To make that brain smarter, we need to intervene, and that data can be used to teach the master brain how to better execute.
I didn't mean to imply that the footage would benefit the vehicle or even the existing version, I meant I wonder if Tesla has it programmed to do that so they can collect more frames. Also, I'm referring to when it's creeping, which it wouldn't be doing if it hadn't already decided to. I absolutely agree that there's no reason to wait when it's sitting still and should be going.

Reactions: nvx1977
I’m trying to remember how aggressive autowipers were before 10.3.1. It doesn’t rain a ton in SoCal, so it’s fairly rare I get a chance to notice them. They worked pretty well yesterday, but maybe on the more aggressive side where they’d enthusiastically wipe for some fine mist spray. I’m wondering if maybe Tesla tweaked them to be more sensitive for the sake of cleaning the windshield for the cameras for FSD because my vague memory has the wipers being a bit less aggressive the last time it rained in SoCal?

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
So in order to improve we need to take over / send the video or both?
My recommendation is to not worry at all about trying to improve the Beta. Just make sure Beta is driving safely. My personal recommendation is that since you’re the driver, you know what the car should be doing at all times. If it deviates, correct it. That’s what I do. There is some leeway in there for slight deviations of the steering wheel and routing, etc, but that’s up to personal preference. Don’t even think about interventions in terms of trying to improve the Beta. Hit the snap shot button only if it’s something really important and only if you can safely do so. The team is no doubt getting inundated with interventions and snap shots with so many extra people, so anything you send is most likely just extra noise to them. Just make sure you and the Beta are being as safe as possible.

I’m trying to remember how aggressive autowipers were before 10.3.1. It doesn’t rain a ton in SoCal, so it’s fairly rare I get a chance to notice them. They worked pretty well yesterday, but maybe on the more aggressive side where they’d enthusiastically wipe for some fine mist spray. I’m wondering if maybe Tesla tweaked them to be more sensitive for the sake of cleaning the windshield for the cameras for FSD because my vague memory has the wipers being a bit less aggressive the last time it rained in SoCal?
I don't see any difference.

In general autowipers can be finicky. Sometimes overly aggressively - sometimes not moving even when its obviously raining.

Reactions: impastu
I don't see any difference.

In general autowipers can be finicky. Sometimes overly aggressively - sometimes not moving even when its obviously raining.
To me it seems they are a tad slow to start, then they start working the best and follow the rain well. It is when the rain goes from a little fast and slows down or stops that the wipers are wonky and keep working on high and take WAY too long to slow down or stop. This to me is the worst part. Having the wipers wiping like crazy after the rain has stoped. They are just WAY too slow to react after the rain slows or stops.

• Informative
Reactions: mtx450 and impastu
A little FUNNY. In parking deck I tried AutoPark and the spot had a LARGE round pillar in the passengers corner. As it was backing up (covering brake) it started getting close to the pillar and it would cut the wheel to move the rear away from it. It would then dislike the angle and pull forward and back again. Did this about 5 or 6 times before it gave up and just parked with the front out a little. It was kinda caught in loop and I wondered how long it would go on.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and impastu
A little FUNNY. In parking deck I tried AutoPark and the spot had a LARGE round pillar in the passengers corner. As it was backing up (covering brake) it started getting close to the pillar and it would cut the wheel to move the rear away from it. It would then dislike the angle and pull forward and back again. Did this about 5 or 6 times before it gave up and just parked with the front out a little. It was kinda caught in loop and I wondered how long it would go on.
LOL. Probably until the battery was dead!

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc