Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had their brake pads changed yet?:eek::eek::eek: Thought about it for 10.4 but looks like 10.4 is going to eat them up too so might as well wait.🤣🤣🤣

Also the Beta is SOOOOOOO inefficient that Tesla may need to offer 2 EPA milage ratings 🧐 in the future. One regular and one (WAAAAAAY lower) on FSD. Here is last weeks.

IMG_9427.jpeg

Yes - in various AI Day etc they have specifically talked about situations where two objects are together, rather than separate. Like a car on a vehicle carrier, a bike behind a SUV ... or a cone on a truck (though I don't remember this particular case in a presentation). They have to account for these.

I definitely reported - though who knows how many snapshots are sent. I'll probably start sending daily emails with images as well.

Right, thats the reason I started recording. I first used my VR camera - but the screen wasn't clear enough to makeout. So, bought a GoPro10 just for this. I'm using a suction cup mount and an extender.

Think I'm just going to go with something like this to mount my iPhone from the roof glass.

Reactions: jebinc
Think I'm just going to go with something like this to mount my iPhone from the roof glass.
Yes - may be a better option. I bought the mount first, and then realized need an extender.

So, bought a GoPro10 just for this.

I should start a click-bait thread with the title "How FSD Beta cost me $350".

That seems to be superfluous? We all know that happens when you engage FSD. The onus is on you to supervise it correctly.
Unless, for example, the car randomly brakes hard for no good reason and causes a wreck... It doesn't matter how well I supervise if the car elects to slam on the brakes.

That's dangerous and was bad enough to cause Tesla to roll back last time, remember? I signed up for Beta, not Alpha software.

And yes, I can hit the go pedal which may or may not be able to prevent the wreck.

Last edited:
10.4 has much less phantom braking.

The setup to and the turns are better. But unprotected lefts at a traffic light still slow down as Beta crosses the three lanes of oncoming traffic, even though this was mentioned as an improvement.

Still moving into the right turn lane as I'm turning left at a t-intersectioin. It waited for the light to turn green then tried to whip into the right lane.

Elon mentioned in a recent tweet that they work hard to minimize jerk, but coming to a stop behind other vehicles still exhibits large changes in acceleration. It slows down gently at first, slams on the brakes then releases the brakes.

so far 10.4 is not performing as well as 10.3.1 for me. Existing quirks seem unchanged, and it failed a few turns that it used to do fine with.
Must be the NH/Mass gremlins in the FSD code :) My experience with FSD city driving in Manchester NH yesterday was woeful until the highway on ramp merge which was excellent.

I bought and returned this - the little arm is too short for this type of usage IMO, and you can't see enough of what's happening out the windshield. I suppose you can find a longer arm for purchase separately since the attachment points are standard tripod type mounts though. Haven't searched for an alternative as I didn't find myself using it enough

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I'm never sure if I should cover the brake pedal or the "go" pedal with FSD. I keep changing my mind to the point where I'm basically doing a little jig.
I always hover over the brake. That way I can quickly take over the car when needed.

I've not had too many unanticipated sudden slow downs, so that has worked. I can move over to the accelerator at roundabouts and roads I know have phantom braking issue ...

I bought and returned this - the little arm is too short for this type of usage IMO, and you can't see enough of what's happening out the windshield. I suppose you can find a longer arm for purchase separately since the attachment points are standard tripod type mounts though. Haven't searched for an alternative as I didn't find myself using it enough
I appreciate the heads up, thanks!

I'm primarily concerned with just recording the display, although having some windshield visible would be nice.

Reactions: jebinc
Really impressed with how the Beta handles different kinds of speed bumps. The wider “humps” that aren’t as jarring it slows down to around 18-19 mph, and for the narrower but more abrupt ones it slows down to below 10 mph
I can confirm FSD Beta 10.4 slowed down to 18mph for (white chevron) speed humps and 6mph for (yellow) speed bumps while also visualizing them. I found this "challenge mode" ;) test for FSD Beta:
double bump cross stop 15.jpg

Both speed bumps + crosswalk in between + stop sign visualized. Just missing the 15mph sign although map data did already know it should be 15mph.

speed hump.jpg
not calming.jpg

Speed hump with horizontal lines before and chevron on top seem to get detected fine. Although I did get this false positive where the sidewalk was detected as a speed bump.

I think you need the windshield display showing to correlate with whats happening. I have it set such that its about my head height, in the middle of the car showing the windshield, the display and the steering wheel.
It definitely would be nice to have some windshield visible for context, but if I can't get the camera to record the display and an acceptable amount of windshield, I'm planning on just saving dashcam clips to get any needed outside context. But most of the time, my eyeballs are outside, recording what's going on while I'm missing what's being shown on the display... hence the need to have a recording of what FSD was displaying at the time of the event in question.

This is more for my own reference, not for context for clips being sent to Tesla... although that would certainly be useful, if I can manage to get the camera setup adequately.

My Chief Financial Officer declined my acquisition request for a GoPro. Spoilsport.

This post has been corrected from "Auto-Correct" to "US English."
FYI, there are differences among speed bumps (narrrow) and speed humps (wider) and speed tables (even wider / raised pedestrian crossing):

People often just refer to all of them as a speed bump.