Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some day when I have time I'll let it go wherever it is trying to go as long as . . .
It seems to take the first possible right. Has happened to me a couple of times I've forgotten to put in the destination.

BTW, since I don't commute kids' school is my "work". So, in the morning the car by default takes me to kids' school.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Had a pretty good one today. About 1/4 of the roads the car should be familiar with and the rest it has never traveled. Had to nudge a couple times on turns due to following vehicles. Other than that only one disengagement. That has a left from the top of a 'T' while on road that it travels almost every time I'm out. Signals the proper left but keeps going straight. Disengaged and forced the left in a hook that probably surprised the car behind me. If it had eventually decided to turn left it could not have accomplished that without running off the road.

Two other bad. It never recognized a speed bump. And in the same place did not recognize the 15mph sign. Not sure but the sign might have been a bit smaller than normal.

Teslafi's firmware tracker page shows 1 Model Y just upgraded from 2021.36.8.5 to 2021.36.8.7, so the rollout of 10.5 to non-employees may have begun, unless there's a Tesla employee using Teslafi
There are a few employees on Teslafi and Teslascope.

ps: Unfortunately no waypoints in 10.5 - since it is still based of 2021.36 rather than 40.

Last edited:
I don't think that is quite right. I am retired and have no work destination. I do have a home destination. My car will go somewhere if I put it in FSD with no destination but I don't know where it is. It is not home unless it is taking the scenic route as the couple times I have done this, I am heading away from home and the car doesn't make any effort to turn around and go back the other way. I don't put locations / destinations in my calendar so it can't be going after those either. Some day when I have time I'll let it go wherever it is trying to go as long as . . .
I, like you, am retired and have no work address configured. I noticed what you describe and found that it will go straight until it hits a T-stop, then turn randomly, right or left (you can the plan line keep bending one way or the other as you approach a forced turn). It's like Autopilot just driving straight, but then having to make a decision when it cannot.

Reactions: impastu
Planner is a Monte Carlo tree search that finds the lowest cost path. So I imagine if there's an upcoming navigation maneuver then the path that best fits the navigation route is given a lower cost, if it diverges from the nav route the cost increases. So if there's no navigation maneuver specified, the cost of a left or right turn is nearly the same, so the path planner just randomly bounces between left and right and it's essentially down to a coin flip.

I, like you, am retired and have no work address configured. I noticed what you describe and found that it will go straight until it hits a T-stop, then turn randomly, right or left (you can the plan line keep bending one way or the other as you approach a forced turn). It's like Autopilot just driving straight, but then having to make a decision when it cannot.
I wish - but for me it just turns right on the first turn.

I'd have liked it to go straight until I signal a turn.

Planner is a Monte Carlo tree search that finds the lowest cost path. So I imagine if there's an upcoming navigation maneuver then the path that best fits the navigation route is given a lower cost, if it diverges from the nav route the cost increases. So if there's no navigation maneuver specified, the cost of a left or right turn is nearly the same, so the path planner just randomly bounces between left and right and it's essentially down to a coin flip.

May be it selects right turns because unprotected rt turn is lower cost than unprotected left.

Perhaps it's trying to find its way home to Fremont? :)

• Funny
Reactions: Oil Freedom
I'd have liked it to go straight until I signal a turn.
Absolutely agreed. default should just go straight. I actually really like using Beta on no turn sections with no nav. It does better on winding roads than AP, and of course the whole not needing to intervene at traffic signals is nice. I've reached the point where I do a few drives with beta after a new update, and then I just don't use it--except for freeways and road sections with no turns needed.

No public release of 10.5 yet.... Wonder why it stalled? Any reports or tweets to share about this?
Guy I talked to said that a bunch of guys requested out of the beta, and it caused some sort of database corruption problem, making it difficult to determine what VIN's to send the beta to.

Man, those wishy washy guys that can't decide if they want the beta or not are sure causing problems for the rest of us!!

*sigh*

;)