Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I need someone to transcribe the release notes into something I can understand 😅

Seriously! Those first two release items are doozies. I'm sure from a systems perspective, those small percentage changes are valuable. But, it's difficult for us to judge those improvements over short periods of time.

I DO appreciate the rest of them though. They seem to be meaningful, real-world, tangible improvements that can be observed by us "in the field".

No 10.9 yet for me.

Thoughts while waiting for 10.9

What I have found after using FSD for several months is when to anticipate a disengagement or an intervention on drives I do repeatedly. Most of the time they are now zero disengagement drives with some go-pedal interventions. These same drives when I first started ended up with disengagements and a frustrated beta tester. Clearly the improvement from my standpoint is the combination of learning how FSD drives since it certainly doesn't drive like I do, plus the slow improvement from FSD improvements over many releases.

Short list of Improvements I'd like to see (no particular order except for #1)
  • Eliminate phantom slowdowns and unnecessary braking
  • Make decisions quicker. This is especially critical in busy traffic and usually the reason I use the Go-pedal
    • Would be a big help when approaching roundabouts along with countless other situations
  • Stay to the right on intersections when turning left so your not impeding cars trying to turn onto your road
  • Get into the correct lane sooner
  • Don't move to the faster lane when there is a turn coming up
  • On the highway stop moving into the faster lane when that means the car has to break to let you in. Happens all the time requiring canceling the lane change. Won't change to single stack.
  • Recognize School Zones (this of course will take multiple iterations)
  • Stay to the right when traveling on narrow rural roads, especially when approaching a slight incline where you cannot see cars approaching
  • Poor weather/visibility resulting with FSD disabling itself. Will or won't the hardware work in poor weather?
  • High beams- fix them

Thoughts while waiting for 10.9

What I have found after using FSD for several months is when to anticipate a disengagement or an intervention on drives I do repeatedly. Most of the time they are now zero disengagement drives with some go-pedal interventions. These same drives when I first started ended up with disengagements and a frustrated beta tester. Clearly the improvement from my standpoint is the combination of learning how FSD drives since it certainly doesn't drive like I do, plus the slow improvement from FSD improvements over many releases.

Short list of Improvements I'd like to see (no particular order except for #1)
  • Eliminate phantom slowdowns and unnecessary braking
  • Make decisions quicker. This is especially critical in busy traffic and usually the reason I use the Go-pedal
    • Would be a big help when approaching roundabouts along with countless other situations
  • Stay to the right on intersections when turning left so your not impeding cars trying to turn onto your road
  • Get into the correct lane sooner
  • Don't move to the faster lane when there is a turn coming up
  • On the highway stop moving into the faster lane when that means the car has to break to let you in. Happens all the time requiring canceling the lane change. Won't change to single stack.
  • Recognize School Zones (this of course will take multiple iterations)
  • Stay to the right when traveling on narrow rural roads, especially when approaching a slight incline where you cannot see cars approaching
  • Poor weather/visibility resulting with FSD disabling itself. Will or won't the hardware work in poor weather?
  • High beams- fix them
This is a good list. However, my #1 complaint with FSD is this: Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

Specifically, stopping too far back from the stop sign and the 5-10+ second delay when turning left or right at any unprotected intersection, even if visibility is great and there is no traffic in sight.

I don't see anything in the 10.9 release notes that hints at this being improved, but fingers crossed!

This is a good list. However, my #1 complaint with FSD is this: Wiki - MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

Specifically, stopping too far back from the stop sign and the 5-10+ second delay when turning left or right at any unprotected intersection, even if visibility is great and there is no traffic in sight.

I don't see anything in the 10.9 release notes that hints at this being improved, but fingers crossed!
Agree which is why "Make decisions quicker" would go a long way to help with this problem. With 10.8.1 the decision to enter a roundabout is much quicker now. Still too slow but there is some reason for optimism so it should gradually improve over time. And of course stopping too far back needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Agree which is why "Make decisions quicker" would go a long way to help with this problem. With 10.8.1 the decision to enter a roundabout is much quicker now. Still too slow but there is some reason for optimism so it should gradually improve over time. And of course stopping too far back needs to be fixed.
For me it's almost entirely for turns involving cross traffic. On the other hand, if it's making an unprotected turn at a green light it can make (fairly) quick decisions about oncoming traffic.

It's soooo much slower for cross-traffic.

Fun new nighttime experience with 10.8.1 - traffic light turned yellow as I entered the intersection going straight, but the car interpreted it as red and started braking. I let it slow down more to see if it was just regular phantom braking, and that's when I also noticed the red lights on screen. It seemed to aim to stop right before the lights at the other side of the intersection. Ended up pushing it through with the accelerator pedal.

It’s probably just the FSD beta code still being inferior to the AutPilot-only code, which has tons more driven miles.
In @Jay S case, and possibly in yours, the issue is not necessarily with the FSD Beta code. It is more likely with the vision-only AP code. His Model 3 is still using the old AP code that includes supplemental radar, but all FSD beta vehicles are also pushed onto the less mature vision-only AP code. For this reason, disabling FSD won't necessarily help, and opting out likely doesn't actually help until a non-FSD update is pushed afterwards. However, if one has older vehicles where radars exxist and are supported, and one doesn't want to deal with the vision-only AP behaviors, then opting out is still the best solution for now.

In @Jay S case, and possibly in yours, the issue is not necessarily with the FSD Beta code. It is more likely with the vision-only AP code. His Model 3 is still using the old AP code that includes supplemental radar, but all FSD beta vehicles are also pushed onto the less mature vision-only AP code. For this reason, disabling FSD won't necessarily help, and opting out likely doesn't actually help until a non-FSD update is pushed afterwards. However, if one has older vehicles where radars exxist and are supported, and one doesn't want to deal with the vision-only AP behaviors, then opting out is still the best solution for now.
Yes, i did mean opt-out and revert to a non FSD release. Not sure if having a radar or not helps, but between the FSD releases and non-FSD releases I’ve been on, the non-FSD AutoPilot works much more smoothly.

As far as interventions go, seldom do we focus on manual speed changes. I find I am doing speed interventions almost constantly, especially after a turn, when the car doesn't really know the speed limit yet (typically showing the wrong speed on the center screen). As most of the roads I travel are winding 2-lane local roads, most of the time, the car slows below the speed limit to negotiate curves. While it's great that the car is pretty good about slowing before a turn, it's too slow for the driving culture around here, so I'm using the go pedal often.

On these same roads, during straightaways, people generally pick up the pace and are 10-15mph above the speed limit, so I typically use the right scroll wheel to increase my set speed accordingly. By default, I have a +5mph offset, and I'll bump it up to +10/15.

I use that scroll wheel a LOT for speed adjustments to keep FSD beta feeling comfortable for myself as well as other drivers. So much so that I think I'm going to wear it out (my Model 3 is older, so I have the plastic scroll wheels).

As far as interventions go, seldom do we focus on manual speed changes. I find I am doing speed interventions almost constantly, especially after a turn, when the car doesn't really know the speed limit yet (typically showing the wrong speed on the center screen). As most of the roads I travel are winding 2-lane local roads, most of the time, the car slows below the speed limit to negotiate curves. While it's great that the car is pretty good about slowing before a turn, it's too slow for the driving culture around here, so I'm using the go pedal often.

On these same roads, during straightaways, people generally pick up the pace and are 10-15mph above the speed limit, so I typically use the right scroll wheel to increase my set speed accordingly. By default, I have a +5mph offset, and I'll bump it up to +10/15.

I use that scroll wheel a LOT for speed adjustments to keep FSD beta feeling comfortable for myself as well as other drivers. So much so that I think I'm going to wear it out (my Model 3 is older, so I have the plastic scroll wheels).

Same here. I use the wheel a bunch.

This is the type of thing (driving speed) driving hat should be crowd sourced and reused. So long as the rest of the driving conditions are ‘understood’ to match.

They could also perhaps also use it in learning. But that would be if the car is driving out of the acceptable average for the conditions. Not metadata of ‘what’s the local norm for driving right here’..

Now I need someone to transcribe the release notes into something I can understand 😅
I can't tell if the release notes are a sign the technology is so new that nobody has an idea how to parse stuff into statements that actually make sense for users, or if the notes are only to satisfy regulators who understand all of this, or if they're purposely made to sound overly technical

FSD Beta's release notes are the only software updates I've seen where I have no clue what half the stuff even means for an end user, it's like they're written for the five people in the world who are experts in autonomous driving tech

I can't tell if the release notes are a sign the technology is so new that nobody has an idea how to parse stuff into statements that actually make sense for users, or if the notes are only to satisfy regulators who understand all of this, or if they're purposely made to sound overly technical

FSD Beta's release notes are the only software updates I've seen where I have no clue what half the stuff even means for an end user, it's like they're written for the five people in the world who are experts in autonomous driving tech
I appreciate the transparency, even if it's unclear what to expect in all cases. It's fun to watch the guts evolve.

Reactions: RabidYak and Saxman

Here is a decent translation. Worth watching.

Last edited:
(10.9) Did test 4 mile drive I do with every new Beta. Roads wet in places sunny day. Acceleration in normal and FSD set to average. Car made right turn from a stop without crossing the yellow center line. Car slowed nicely for turns and curves in road. On several right curves the left front tire touched or crossed the yellow center line (no traffic). One right turn while moving, entered the turn in its lane but crossed yellow center line finishing turn. Smoother drive better speed control before and in turns. Less or no, phantom braking that I noticed. As stated before, I don't know if I have become more accustom to how the car drives or if what I am seeing is an improvement. I am, however, beginning to believe that there is improvement.