Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many municipalities around here have LED traffic lights, others do not. When we did a recent 5000 mile road trip I was surprised at how few LED traffic lights we saw. I expected a much higher percentage.

I've seen that only when activating FSD Beta too close to a stop sign or light. Where have you seen that happen?
how do you tell the difference. We often have a light out so I figure they are incandescent. But maybe the lights are being upgraded as they burn out.

Reactions: KArnold
sort of big pixels? I have seem lights that are sort of honeycombs. probably in the order of 30-40 cells per light. Those are the LEDs?
Incandescent street lights have a standard screw in light bulb behind a colored (G,Y,R) and translucent cover on a hinge to open to change the bulb when it burns out. You can tell them because the light will be brightest in the middle where the bulb is and it is less bright around the edges.

EDIT: 2ed pic is an incandescent

LED are individuals colored (G,Y,R) in an array. Up close you can see the individual LED and it is 100% uniform in brightness. Here is an LED Red.
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 4.59.55 PM.png

Incandescent (textured cover to spread the light more evenly)
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 5.04.22 PM.png

Last edited:
I was thinking that the sign-reading final boss will be things like arbitrary messages on dot-matrix displays. They frequently use grammatically incorrect phrases, short hands, and abbreviations. And they can have multiple parts of the message cycling on the screen at any given point. For e.g.

View attachment 841966

Even as a human, it takes a lot of contextual knowledge to understand that this means "Exit A75 Westbound is closed every day from November 28 until December 5 from 7 PM to 6 AM."

EDIT: As proof of how much contextual knowledge this takes, I just realized that this image is from Scotland, and so "A75(W)" isn't referring to an exit. It's the name of the highway. So the entire A75 Westbound highway is closed from those dates and times in this context.
Under my navigation, use of HOV lanes is turned on. When I was driving with NOA on I 95S in Virginia on weekends the car wanted to go to express lane when the gate I closed. It would have been a gate crasher as it was going very fast. I had to constantly cancel it. I decided to toggle the HOV off after sometime. I thought if it AI/ML it should learn not to repeat that next time. But it did not as next weekend the car did the same mistake of going to the closed lanes.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Not sure if this is the right place, but I just got 10.12.2 today and it did not go well. As people say, it accelerates and brakes too hard. I’ve seen it brake hard way too early for a stop sign like 20 feet back and then inch forward.

But the worst was when it tried to pass someone on a divided highway (not a freeway) and then decided to head into a turn around lane (I am assuming it got confused) at 55 without slowing down. Had to brake very hard or else I would have gone into the median.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I just got 10.12.2 today and it did not go well. As people say, it accelerates and brakes too hard. I’ve seen it brake hard way too early for a stop sign like 20 feet back and then inch forward.

But the worst was when it tried to pass someone on a divided highway (not a freeway) and then decided to head into a turn around lane (I am assuming it got confused) at 55 without slowing down. Had to brake very hard or else I would have gone into the median.
There will be trips when it seems to work flawlessly, don't let that lull you into a false sense of confidence.

Back to what we are still using (10.12) and wishing to get off of it and onto some 10.69. Even more so after this morning short and terrible drive. It almost seems like the Neural Net has abandoned 10.12 for a hotter and younger (definitely sexier 10.69) Beta. I had crappy creeping (½ way into the 1st driving lane and let it play out), it tried to change lanes with a car still beside me (safety intervention), it did an unnecessary lane change and then almost immediately changed back and the 1 second later it tried to change again (aggravated/embarrassing intervention). And these 2 gems.

This behavior is relatively new (about 6weeks/ ½ since 10.12) and generally worked from 10.2. Heading straight 95% of the time it will just veer into the left turn lane (no signal) and run it to the end at full speed and then not know what to do. Today it jerked left at full speed with no signal like it wanted to turn and then straighten back. I intervened.

This intersection has been a BIG FAT FAIL since I got Beta (10.2). It can NEVER decide which lane it wants and always tries to change lanes after it decides unless blocked. Also if no lead cars it has a HARD time going straight across and will try and turn left or right at the last second. Today it decided to use both lanes weaving backend forth while alternating the left/right signals. I let it play out since it was early Sunday morning/low traffic/few pedestrians.

Last edited:
Here is an insane behavior on 10.12 that only started a couple of weeks ago and is now 100% consistent. At this turn it now 100% of the time tries to turn into the far left opposing traffic lane. It even tried once to go on the left side of car waiting at the light. Today you can clearly see it has several lead cars to even help but it still tries for the far left lane. How Bat Shi$ Crazy is this?

Sunday morning I will get up early and try it if there is no traffic and let it play out to see what it does.

Went out at 5AM and found a spot with low traffic and let it play. Or as Whole Mars Catalog would say "Fully successful and 0 intervention drive".🤣🤣 It is NOT pretty but at least it didn't go into the far left oncoming traffic lane like it often wants to.🙃

Last edited:
Went out at 5AM and found a spot with low traffic and let it play. Or as Whole Mars Catalog would say "Fully successful and 0 intervention drive".🤣🤣 It is NOT pretty but at least it didn't go into the far left oncoming traffic lane like it often wants to.🙃

Really surprising it did that - IME it's pretty good when there are yellow lines to guide it.

One problem I consistently have is when when there's already a turn lane on the destination road. FSD seems to be programmed to always use the leftmost of the left turn lanes and to always tun into the first lane but in cases like the picture below it will go into the left turn lane (solid line) rather than the driving lane (dashed line). It usually figures it out pretty quickly, signals and switches into the driving lane but each time I think, "come on! they gave you a line to follow and you still messed it up!"

1661691207771.png

I had an interesting issue the other day - I took a different route to work on a road that went through a park. The road had no lane lines and was fairly narrow but then had a bike path immediately next to it that actually did have lane lines on it. (You can get a feel for how narrow the road is by looking at the tire marks in the picture below - it's barely wide enough for 2 cars.)

FSD consistently veered over to the left of the road but when I looked at the screen visualization, it saw the yellow line from the bike path and assumed the path was a shoulder and ye line was the left side of the lane. To a human, it's clear that the bike path is not a lane but you could also easily assume the road is a one-way road given the size.

1661693615026.png

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Really surprising it did that - IME it's pretty good when there are yellow lines to guide it.

One problem I consistently have is when when there's already a turn lane on the destination road. FSD seems to be programmed to always use the leftmost of the left turn lanes and to always tun into the first lane but in cases like the picture below it will go into the left turn lane (solid line) rather than the driving lane (dashed line). It usually figures it out pretty quickly, signals and switches into the driving lane but each time I think, "come on! they gave you a line to follow and you still messed it up!"

View attachment 846127
Yes a mistake but it is appropriate to go in to the left most lane. Required in NJ and some places do ticket for that. I don't see complicated ones like yours but i know a particular intersection where you turn left and often want to turn right maybe 100 ft or so down the right and the cops frequently ticket for not turning to the left lane and then signaling and moving over.

View attachment 846127
This is a common scenario at Texas highway interchanges. It used to freak me out until I got used to it, but look forward to the day that Tesla can plan just a little further ahead....

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes a mistake but it is appropriate to go in to the left most lane.
Agreed, but it should go to the left most through lane, not into the turn lane (especially when there are dotted lines guiding you there!) The only time you should turn directly into a turn lane is in cases where the lanes are specifically designated as such. Those are relatively rare and typically have lines guiding you to the correct lane.

Reactions: spokey
Ignoring red lights is a bigger deal than other facets of FSD because stoplight detection is part of TACC outside of FSDb.
Does this mean the TACC red light detection beta was better than the FSD beta red light detection? That has certainly been my experience. The TACC version would stop when I wouldn't have been sure I could, but it was right every time. The FSD version will keep on going and blast through a red when it's obvious to me it should stop and the light is actually red before the intersection is even reached. This is in Indiana where the cycle is Green->Yellow->Red, and you are legally supposed to be completely clear of the intersection by the time it switches from yellow to red. I mention that for context because I'm told some states actually go Red->Yellow->Green (or used to).