Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've given up on FSD for now. It is literally unusable in Seattle, slamming its brakes to a complete stop on on every narrow street, and now also stopping at stop signs is now incredibly uncomfortable, choosing to use friction brakes at the last second rather than glide smoothly up using regen. For me, aside from the smooth lane changes on the highway (finally), FSD is worse than it's ever been, and it's not like it was great before! Really frustrated.

I've given up on FSD for now. It is literally unusable in Seattle, slamming its brakes to a complete stop on on every narrow street, and now also stopping at stop signs is now incredibly uncomfortable, choosing to use friction brakes at the last second rather than glide smoothly up using regen. For me, aside from the smooth lane changes on the highway (finally), FSD is worse than it's ever been, and it's not like it was great before! Really frustrated.
Welcome to the ever growing F-FSDb unfan club!

11.3.3: I was on "aggressive" and "minimize lane changes" this morning in the city and had the same issue with lane changes. Twice I was in the left lane traveling towards left turns less than a mile away and the car moved to the right lane, had to get back to the left pretty quickly. No reason for this.
Interestingly, it drives me nuts that it wants to get in the left lane for a left turn a mile plus in advance, but that's because there isn't that much traffic but it still doesn't make much sense to hold up what little there is when a half mile or less is always sufficient. In my experience, any time it does switch to the left lane (where there are only 2 lanes), it will stay in the left lane until there is another vehicle on my tail and then switch to the right out of said vehicle's way. Perhaps that trigger (a vehicle on your tail) is why it is switching to the right for you? Could also be bad map data, as there were certainly some turns like that pre-v11. If it's to get out of the way of another vehicle, but assuming there is also enough traffic that switching lanes is difficult, I would tend to agree with you that it shouldn't, but I'm just thinking aloud maybe that explains why it does.

Interestingly, it drives me nuts that it wants to get in the left lane for a left turn a mile plus in advance, but that's because there isn't that much traffic but it still doesn't make much sense to hold up what little there is when a half mile or less is always sufficient. In my experience, any time it does switch to the left lane (where there are only 2 lanes), it will stay in the left lane until there is another vehicle on my tail and then switch to the right out of said vehicle's way. Perhaps that trigger (a vehicle on your tail) is why it is switching to the right for you? Could also be bad map data, as there were certainly some turns like that pre-v11. If it's to get out of the way of another vehicle, but assuming there is also enough traffic that switching lanes is difficult, I would tend to agree with you that it shouldn't, but I'm just thinking aloud maybe that explains why it does.
There was plenty of traffic - if there was a gap at all it was minimal and shouldn't have been enough to trigger a move to the right. I was following other cars at the speed of traffic. These moves to the right made getting back to the left difficult with little distance before the required left hand turns. And these were established, well used surface streets that hadn't changed in decades, no reason map data should have been incorrect. Whatever the trigger the logic obviously needs to be refined.

Reactions: mxnym and JHCCAZ
Just looked at my TeslaMate dashboard and noticed "efficiency" percentage, when running FSDb, is a consistent 60-70% - for all drives. How much of an efficiency hit have you taken from using FSDb? Must be the heavy use of friction brakes and other herky-jerky things it does.
@WilliamG

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 8.32.58 AM.png

Drove 75 mostly highway miles this morning on 11.3.3 with 2 disengagements.
  • UPL- Car drove into intersection on a yellow left hand turn arrow and waited and waited. . It started to turn left in front of another car coming so I had to disgengage. Since there was clearly a long line of cars coming the other direction FSD should never have entered the intersection. UPL's continue to be a significant problem.
  • Highway merge- rush hour traffic was going 20-30mph. FSD stayed in the merge lane as I've gotten to expect and blew by the highway traffic going 50+mph which was stupid. Before it ran out of the merge lane I had to take over, slow the car and then merge in as the lane ended. This has happened many times since I've gotten V11. When the traffic is moving along at a reasonable speed merging works pretty well but as soon as you introduce rush hour traffic merging is a disaster waiting to happen as it speeds by traffic in the merge lane.
  • Once on the highway I could have fallen asleep. Kept on "average" setting so it would move out of the fast lane.
  • When I toggle the right scroll wheel to the right when I'm on the average setting it changes to assertive. If I toggle left it changes to chill. This happens even if I simply want to enable/disable the minimal lane change setting, Why?

Drove 75 mostly highway miles this morning on 11.3.3 with 2 disengagements.
  • UPL- Car drove into intersection on a yellow left hand turn arrow and waited and waited. . It started to turn left in front of another car coming so I had to disgengage. Since there was clearly a long line of cars coming the other direction FSD should never have entered the intersection. UPL's continue to be a significant problem.
  • Highway merge- rush hour traffic was going 20-30mph. FSD stayed in the merge lane as I've gotten to expect and blew by the highway traffic going 50+mph which was stupid. Before it ran out of the merge lane I had to take over, slow the car and then merge in as the lane ended. This has happened many times since I've gotten V11. When the traffic is moving along at a reasonable speed merging works pretty well but as soon as you introduce rush hour traffic merging is a disaster waiting to happen as it speeds by traffic in the merge lane.
  • Once on the highway I could have fallen asleep. Kept on "average" setting so it would move out of the fast lane.
  • When I toggle the right scroll wheel to the right when I'm on the average setting it changes to assertive. If I toggle left it changes to chill. This happens even if I simply want to enable/disable the minimal lane change setting, Why?
Whether to enter the intersection on UPL I've found is a regional thing. Like in the Chicago area everyone is very agressive and will enter the intersection even with non-stop oncoming traffic, and they will clear the intersection when the light starts going to yellow/red and oncoming cars stop. It's actually kind of dangerous because oncoming cars will be trying to run the light. Plus there will be 2-3 cars behind you that will follow you through even if its already red, sometimes even more. In Chicago if you don't enter the intersection on a green/flashing yellow, then you will get honked at and/or shot.

In the Seattle area almost no one does this, they will wait behind the stop line until there's a gap before entering.

Reactions: aronth5 and jebinc
“Like in the Chicago area everyone is very agressive and will enter the intersection even with non-stop oncoming traffic, and they will clear the intersection when the light starts going to yellow/red and oncoming cars stop.”

That’s the standard in AZ too, though not all our winter visitors got the memo. Lots with Washington plates. 😉

I had a steady stream of disengagements with this morning's 5 mile drive in city streets. V11.3.3 can't drive like a human when it must respond to intersection and traffic stimuli.

Brief right steering into oncoming traffic before turning left at intersections. Confused lane changes and turn signals into adjacent lanes with occupied vehicles. Stop, stall, and crawl at stop signs. Carrying too much speed when approaching red lights, etc. Sharply veered away from traffic cones lining the roadway. It doesn't play well with the real world and that's a problem.

Until there's some reasonable probability of success (90%?) one could argue FSDb is ideal scenario fenced to open roads, good weather, no traffic, no traffic signals, no construction, no roundabouts, no signs, no school zones, ....

Brief right steering into oncoming traffic before turning left at intersections. Confused lane changes and turn signals into adjacent lanes with occupied vehicles. Stop, stall, and crawl at stop signs. Carrying too much speed when approaching red lights, etc. Sharply veered away from traffic cones lining the roadway. It doesn't play well with the real world and that's a problem.
Sounds just like v10.

Lane changes are very smooth now on the highway in terms of minimizing jerk, but also bad. In stop-and-go traffic. it kept trying to make "speed-based" lane changes. It would set the left signal and quickly give up and turn it off again. For 30 seconds, it did this maybe 3-4 times in a row before I turned on "minimal lane changes" to stop the madness. It would turn on the signal just as an adjacent car starts to close the gap, then abort. Repeat over and over. At one point it abruptly shifted toward a gap, then halfway toward entering the new lane it gives up and swerved back all within like 100 milliseconds. I'm sure the adjacent cars thought I was raging at them or something.

Also I'm convinced there is zero control for highway merges, either that or merge areas are never detected on our highways and require some kind of marking or signage that we don't have here. Basically the dividing line between lanes will just end, and you're expected to merge. But instead, FSD will sort of "float" within the new extra-wide single lane, without signaling or making any attempt to merge into a gap in a controlled way or anything. It just kinda goes wherever the wind blows it.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, HW3, V11.3.4, 148K miles

Is anybody else having a problem with FSD turning on? I’m noticing it is taking longer and longer before the gray steering wheel appears. Normally as soon as I pulled out of the neighborhood on to main road I would immediately engage FSD. There are times I have to drive quite a way before it engages. Many times the wheel icon appears and immediately disappears. It becomes a game of, to slow try again, almost like whack a mole with the stalk. Same roads I drive everyday that it worked just fine on, but now it just doesn’t appear for sometimes miles. Very odd, I wonder if it is slowly degrading.

Before you ask or state… Yes I rebooted the computer. Yes the cameras are clean, Yes it was sunny some days and cloudy others. Yes the car was centered in its travel lane. Yes the car was doing the speed limit. No I didn’t recalibrate the cameras. Other times it works just fine, I can pull out of neighborhood and it engages immediately. Is anybody else having similar experience with it?