Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can still change lanes with the signal but you can no longer disable lane changes nor can you have the car ask for confirmation before it decides to change lanes on the freeway.
TY. But it does not make lane changes outside of those needed for Nav if set, yes? If it works that way, wouldn't that work the same as AP today on the freeway in nearly all cases?

In other words set the min lane change option, manually pick my lane using turn signals. I'd guess it would stay in that lane.

I'm still missing something.

TY. But it does not make lane changes outside of those needed for Nav if set, yes? If it works that way, wouldn't that work the same as AP today on the freeway in nearly all cases?

In other words set the min lane change option, manually pick my lane using turn signals. I'd guess it would stay in that lane.

With classic AP you can disable route-based lane changes by toggling the "Navigate on Autopilot" button, but now the only way to do that afaik is to cancel the navigation route.

Reactions: mtndrew1

That’s not how it works now. The car will obey whatever is on the nav and short of cancelling the route or turning off Autopilot you cannot override it.

Another example of confused lane change logic for v11.3.3:

I'm following no one in the left lane of a three lane 45mph roadway. Navigation is set for a left turn in less than 1 mile but FSDb path decides to turn-on the right signal and attempt a right lane change where two car currently occupy. Insane in the FSDb membrane! Try to clearly explain that to the team in a 10sec sound bite.

In our experience it will change lanes to overtake slower traffic, but not until after it has slowed down for that traffic. It also doesn't like being in the right lane of a freeway with 3 or more lanes so it will not drive in the right lane even if it's wide open. It also can tend to camp in the left lane. For us we very rarely have it initiate any lane changes on its own as I always end up triggering the lane change first. You can no longer have it require approval for a lane change, but it can ding at you first. It seems to turn on the turn signal, ding, and then start moving over if that sound is activated. Some newer cars may also have the option for steering wheel vibration for the lane change, but that is not an option for us.

So now I have no ability to use FSD around West Seattle. The car comes to a complete stop pretty much 100% of the time on the normal side streets. Here's an example, and bear in mind this was NOT an issue prior to V11 (11.3.4 in this case, for me).

On the plus side.... lane changes on the highway are now buttery smooth. Prior to this update the car would always sort of lurch-lane change, which was never comfortable, like it was always in a hurry, even with no cars around. Now it gliiiides across the lane. Well done, Tesla, the car can now change lanes properly when there's nobody around!

You can still change lanes with the signal but you can no longer disable lane changes nor can you have the car ask for confirmation before it decides to change lanes on the freeway.
I frequently enable the minimal lane changes on the highway and that basically disables lane changes except when needed for changing routes (i.e. exits). The only problems is the setting is not persistent and you have to enable the setting for new drives. You can do that from right scroll wheel which helps. You are right about not asking for confirmation but I've found highway lane changes are much safer then before.

Want to add a short note. It has already been mentioned the car now, when turning right and with an improved shoulder (same paving on shoulder as on roadway), will move onto the shoulder to do the turn allowing following traffic to pass. I experienced that move today and found it to be well done and safer than blocking and slowing traffic behind you. It is also permissible in some states to pass on the right (with improved shoulder) when someone ahead is turning left or just stopped,on a two lane road, and the pass can be done safely. I hope tesla can program that one in as well.

Has anyone noticed that the FSD beta almost always take excessive amount of time to get on to the left most lane that are short in length (even when no one is around) prior making left turn (I had to take over each time I see people behind me. On the contrary, for right hand turn, it glides to that short right-hand lane pretty quickly as soon as the lane starts forming on right side.

Sorry, I don't have the SW yet. What happens on the freeway if you choose the option to minimize lane changes? How is that different than the old (my cuurent) NAP on the freeway?

Plus you can still signal to change lanes on the Freeway. No?
  1. If one minimizes lane changes, reports around these parts is that the car gets into the lane that gets one to where one is going and only switches lanes if absolutely required. For example: Near my place, an interstate with four lanes going that-a-way loses the rightmost lane at an exit; up to that point, the rightmost lane is simply the rightmost lane. In that case, the car would switch out of the rightmost lane on its own since, well, the lane is ending.
  2. With lanes changes not minimized, once the car gets on the freeway and notices the cars in front of one going slower (in some cases, much slower than the speed limit), it auto switched from the lane one is in to the next lane to the left; if there's still slow cars there, switches again, and so on. On the last two or three runs down this road it's ended up in the left most lane, then switches back.
  3. Each time it gets set to an auto lane change, the display pops up a message, "Use turn signal to cancel". Which I've tried. It works. And then 30 or 40 seconds later it prompts again, and so on.
One last thing. There's been mention of the car, "darting" in and out of traffic. Um. I've kept tropical fish tanks. I know what darting looks like. What I've been seeing is:
  • Turn signal, with time enough to cancel
  • Smooth move into the new lane, with acceleration if one is going to be going faster.
  • Stability in the new lane.
11.3.4 makes the lane change at about the same speed I would do it. Darting, it's not.

Something other than the 2018 M3 RWD LR being driven, a different FSD-b point release, or something like that, and I'm willing to believe the "darting" comment. Not otherwise.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
11.3.4 makes the lane change at about the same speed I would do it. Darting, it's not.

Something other than the 2018 M3 RWD LR being driven, a different FSD-b point release, or something like that, and I'm willing to believe the "darting" comment. Not otherwise.

This morning my 2018 LR Model 3 RWD did one blink and was halfway in the next lane before I had a chance to try and cancel the maneuver. Does that count?

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
You betcha. Strange: I've done over the past two days or so roughly 30-40 freeway miles, fair number of lane changes under the mandated auto, and no darts. Hmm..
I suspect it’s due to traffic patterns and my car’s urgency to act upon an immediate and erroneous need to get across six lanes of traffic to an exit that it doesn’t need to take. Hence my irritation in being unable to turn off the stupid lane changes.

I drove it home for two hours from Palm Springs to LA on Sunday and the lane changes were gradual and smooth, as you describe.

So mock my darting lane changes as you wish, but the whole point of my post was that I’ve been subconsciously correcting for Tesla’s screwy maps for years and now that I am unable to do so the car is behaving very erratically on my commute.

This would be resolved if I could disable lane changes or require confirmation.

Reactions: old pilot
I'll add a positive note: I had a mostly-city-streets drive today on 11.3.4 in fairly heavy traffic (two lanes each way plus a mixed-use left-turn lane in the middle, ~45mph road where everyone drives 55). Twice in the space of about 1/2 mile, I had other cars make completely bone-headed moves near me that could've caused collisions, and FSDb handled both flawlessly.

One was a car that suddenly made a U-turn from the main lanes on the other side, completely ignoring all the cars in the way, and then also turned too wide and stopped in the middle of the right lane to back up and correct. My car was near the front of the pack coming up on this situation, and FSDb anticipated what was happening and began a little light braking/hesitation from the moment the other driver first jerked the wheel. It eventually had to do some fairly aggressive braking, but just enough to avoid the issue, and then carried on as soon as it was clear. Right after this, a large pickup truck with a long trailer behind it, going the other way, jerked the wheel for a sudden left turn across our lanes of traffic. This time FSDb again hesitated just slightly when it first noticed what was starting to happen, but then it calculated that he would clear my (left lane) path in time and maintained speed and did not pointlessly slam the brakes. The cars to the right of me did have to slam on theirs, as he didn't clear his trailer from the right lane in time for them.

Sometimes, FSDb does pretty amazing things! I never disengaged or even touched the go-pedal through any of that.

So now I have no ability to use FSD around West Seattle. The car comes to a complete stop pretty much 100% of the time on the normal side streets. Here's an example, and bear in mind this was NOT an issue prior to V11 (11.3.4 in this case, for me).

On the plus side.... lane changes on the highway are now buttery smooth. Prior to this update the car would always sort of lurch-lane change, which was never comfortable, like it was always in a hurry, even with no cars around. Now it gliiiides across the lane. Well done, Tesla, the car can now change lanes properly when there's nobody around!
Sorry to see your post; I was hoping my experience (Decent highway, disaster everywhere else) with the “junk” was unique to my car and location, as many here have suggested.

Robotaxis coming soon, buy FSD now (before the price goes up to it’s true $100,00 value) and have your Tesla generate endless revenue when you’re not using it. Right, Mr. Charlatan, right …. 🤬

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
I had my first two or three drives on 11.3.4 today, as I was away over a long weekend. I had high hopes but I can't say that it was hugely better or worse. I was becoming relatively comfortable with 10.69.x, and probably the same will happen with more experience on 11.3.4

Most of my my driving is on suburban median divided roads with two to three lines each way, and traffic lights 1/2 to 1 mile apart.

Regarding the Minimal Lane Changes button, I'm a little disappointed. Maybe it works as advertised on the limited access freeways (former NoA territory), but I had a number of unwanted and unnecessary lane hopping events, despite being on Chill and ensuring the button was activated at the beginning of the drive. This function is clearly needed on city streets, but today it definitely did not suppress back and forth fane hopping for me.

i had at least one example obeimproved lane anticipation: a left turn into the left lane, followed by a necessary lane change and then turn lane entry, coming to a right turn about 200 yards up. 10.69 handled this but a little late, getting over too slowly. 11 3. 4 cleaned it up quite nicely.