Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick search:
Not charging! **FIXED**
One post says it's the connector under the rear seat being loose. Another just turned off the breaker at their panel and turned it back on and issue was gone. Some suggest a full reboot.
I’ve noticed issues like this crop up when I was using the 14-50 and tripping the breaker fixed them. I now have a TWC hardwired with a 60a breaker than has worked all of 30 minutes before shutting off due to the breaker itself getting to over 150 degrees. Electrician is waiting j a new 60a breaker to replace it, so I’m back to using the mobile charger on the 14-50 in the meantime. I cannot catch a break…

I’ve noticed issues like this crop up when I was using the 14-50 and tripping the breaker fixed them. I now have a TWC hardwired with a 60a breaker than has worked all of 30 minutes before shutting off due to the breaker itself getting to over 150 degrees. Electrician is waiting j a new 60a breaker to replace it, so I’m back to using the mobile charger on the 14-50 in the meantime. I cannot catch a break…
If it's not a faulty breaker, that suggests you have a problem in your wiring given your whole history with problems. The Wall Connector pulls 48A max.

It could also be because your panel/wiring is in a location where the panel/wire itself gets hot from solar heating, in which case there is no easy direct solution (maybe there are panels available for such applications) or just live with it tripping in hot weather.

If it's not a faulty breaker, that suggests you have a problem in your wiring given your whole history with problems. The Wall Connector pulls 48A max.

It could also be because your panel/wiring is in a location where the panel/wire itself gets hot from solar heating, in which case there is no easy direct solution (maybe there are panels available for such applications) or just live with it tripping in hot weather.
This is using new 4/2 romex wiring as required for a 60a breaker. I got told today that they are expecting the new breaker tomorrow so crossing my fingers. The breaker box is on the south side of my house but technically would get the sun directly on it until late afternoon.

New video from Sandy Munro on using 14-50s for charging. TL;DR, they echo many of the comments in this thread about using cheapo box-box store 14-50 receptacles, and recommend the high end Hubbell (and Bryant) versions instead. Better yet, hard wire the EVSE. Also comments about bus bar capacity in breaker panels, and how many panels are not up to the job.

Sorry if this is a dumb question to but does this look like a "good" 14-50 outlet for EV charging? I've been using it that way for over a year, but I hear some outlets can cause long term problems. Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20221106_175522685.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20221106_175522685.PORTRAIT.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 220
Sorry if this is a dumb question to but does this look like a "good" 14-50 outlet for EV charging? I've been using it that way for over a year, but I hear some outlets can cause long term problems. Thanks.

Sample size of 1: I've been using a P&S 14-50 for years, at a full 40 amps via a Gen 1 UMC, and it hasn't been a problem. It was installed by the electrician when we did our solar system. I didn't give a thought to the brand of receptacle at the time.

Reactions: Baluchi

It is a Legrand Pass & Seymour 3894.

Looks like it has good contacts to the plug blades (full size brass). There seem to be no photos online of the back side showing how the wires attach. If it has screw-down connections like most outlets, the care used in installation is important (i.e. so that the wire stays under the screw and in contact with the backing plate when the screw is tightened).

They all look about the same from the front, looking at the back you can see the lugs and if they appear flimsy or stout.
Actually, they do not all look about the same from the front. The Leviton 279-S00 has plug blade contacts that are steel and only half size; this is visible by looking into the plug holes. Most other outlets have full size brass contacts. The Leviton 279-S00 tends to get hot at high (greater than about 30A) currents because of this. See post #60 of this thread for a photo of the Leviton 279-S00 showing the half size steel contacts.

The back side will show how the wires are connected. Most outlets use screw-down connections, which are OK if care is used in installation. The Hubbell 9450A and Bryant 9450FR outlets have a plate clamping mechanism that makes installing the wires easy and less prone to error, which is a nice-to-have thing, though careful installation of screw-down connections works OK. Poor installation of screw-down connections will result in higher resistance and heat, though it may not be as detectable at the plug head like heat at the plug blade contacts.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Baluchi
If I install a wall connector, does it make my mobile connector purchase redundant? I was looking to get the NEMA 14-50 outlet with 220v, but I was worried about weatherproofing charging in the rain.

Worst case, I could always just keep a mobile connector for charging on the road? Thanks.

If I install a wall connector, does it make my mobile connector purchase redundant? I was looking to get the NEMA 14-50 outlet with 220v, but I was worried about weatherproofing charging in the rain.

Worst case, I could always just keep a mobile connector for charging on the road? Thanks.

I have the wall connector (HPWC) and use my mobile connector as backup for HPWC at home and use it away from home in case I need it.

Last edited:

Yeah, pretty much. The mobile charger isn't the equivalent of a jerry can that you'd use for safari adventures, it's just a convenience for certain travel destinations - not something you'd literally use "on the road". For example, when staying at a mountain cabin, you may find it more convenient to slow charge overnight than to stop for lunch at a roadside fast charger out by the highway. But be aware that there's a good chance that mountain cabin electrical system won't be up to the task anyway.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good outlet that supports AL wiring? I was about to order the Bryant 9450FR as it's highly recommended before I found out that is copper only. My home is prewired 50A w/ aluminum.

Also, do you think this install is DIY friendly for an electrical newbie? I've watched some install videos and it seem relatively straightforward. The only part I'm confused about is how to handle grounding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is what my wiring looks like:
PXL_20221223_040529202.MP.jpg