Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it.

While I agree with everything else in your post, I’m not sure the part quoted above is true. Say you leave on a trip for a few weeks and leave your car plugged in while you’re gone, but you set the charge limit to Tesla’s recommended 90%. This would leave the battery at a high state of charge for an extended period of time, which is not good for the battery.

On the other hand, if you left if plugged in but had the slider all the way down to 50%, the battery would be much happier. But then again, I’m not sure the constant discharge/recharge cycles to keep it at 50% is better for the battery than leaving the car unplugged and letting it slowly discharge from, say, 60% to 40% over that extended period of time.

Well today I went in SeC for a huge dashboard rattle (second time!) this time they fixed it. At the take in, the Tesla mechanic asked me if I liked the car, I said yes except for the capacity loss and that Tesla couldn’t say anything about that last SeC visits, because it’s company secret the State of Health of the battery..

He then said, we will fix the rattle and I will informally also check the capacity and come to you In waiting room.

Without actually telling me directly I have huge capacity (CAC) loss, he told me with a “tell it all” face expression that there is some deviation in the fleet and there is a top and the bottom in the fleet which will have differences.

Without breaking his “it’s Tesla confidential secret” rules or directly telling me, made it clear to me I am at the bottom of the fleet data, but (gave me a sad pity face) also told me Tesla finds this acceptable and within specs...

It wad really nice to for once have a Tesla mechanic “care” for once trying his best.

TLDR: Tesla mechanic indirectly told me battery capacity is on the very low end of fleet, but that Tesla finds this within specs..

Thanks for the extensive reply. Glad yours is great!

I am actually still rooting for Tesla (while I think that’s actually stupid also), I have some Tesla merchandise, hold a few stock, a normal Guy that saved for (years!) for his Model 3 SR+ that finally was able to get one... Then within first month I find out it is basically below the SR(non!) plus...

Then get told “Within Tesla specs” ...

I am considering light legal action, OR making a video on Youtube, let’s say a mini documentary..
Since I have an electrical degree and all car mechanic licenses and also DIY experience in building own battery and BMS, that is something interesting or newsworthy..

It also seems like famous people or “influencers” get special treatment from Tesla, while the average guy like me is someone they try to avoid... I have to “fight” for every problem The car has all the time and need multiple appointments to fix 1 of the things.

Glad I don’t get the “JuST rECaLiBraTe” replies and such and people actually listen here..! Very much appreciated.

Really sorry to hear about this, I feel for you - truly do. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I think the reply of "within specs" from Tesla means you have less than 30% range (or is it capacity?) loss, only beyond which it becomes a warranty issue.

While I agree it's really unfortunate that some get terrible degradation while others don't, it is sadly a battery lottery at the end of the day. Some packs turn out great while others don't.

I'm not sure much can be done until your 100% charge falls below 168-175 rated miles (depending on whether you start with 240 or 250), which is a 30% drop, but it doesn't hurt to expose the truth that we do play a lottery when buying a Tesla.

At the minimum, widespread awareness will help other future owners know that they might get a "bad" pack that degrades up to 30% without the ability to make a warranty claim, and if they're okay with that, then at least expectations are set correctly. If I know a 300-mile rated car could actually only provide 210 miles of *rated* range, I personally would not value it enough to buy it, but others might.

At best, if enough people are like me, it will force Tesla to improve their warranty coverage to maybe 15 or 20%, and have tighter tolerances on the batteries they build in the future.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mrgoogle
I thought all SR+ cars moved up to 250, was it only cars sold after a certain date?

While I understand a 10% loss is frustrating, are there really many/any SR+ cars out there which have lost much more? I just look at it as the 10% is a limited time range bonus. Any owners lost 20%? Outside of the 90 pack on the S/X or really old cars, I can't say I have heard of many.

I thought all SR+ cars moved up to 250, was it only cars sold after a certain date?

While I understand a 10% loss is frustrating, are there really many/any SR+ cars out there which have lost much more? I just look at it as the 10% is a limited time range bonus. Any owners lost 20%? Outside of the 90 pack on the S/X or really old cars, I can't say I have heard of many.

I believe only 2020 model years got the bump to 250. However, I haven't seen anyone actually get 250 in a 2020 SR+, even brand new.

pdx_m3s said: "I believe only 2020 model years got the bump to 250. However, I haven't seen anyone actually get 250 in a 2020 SR+, even brand new."
----
My two Model 3SR+s 18"wheels, one Feb 2020 and the other Mar 2020 never had 250.

Today The Good Ship Venus will charge to about 233, and The Blue Bunny will charge to 242,
if I set for 100%. Only did this twice on TBB and thrice on TGSV, one time was to begin a trip
with a full can.

Both are left plugged in at home set to 90%. TGSV is driven about 65 miles daily, and will
charge to 90% at about 210. TBB is driven about 10 miles daily and will charge to 90%
indicating 220.

However, on a 1100 mile round trip, TGSV predictions of mileage were pessimistic. I
always got to the next charger with about 1.5 or 2 times indicated remaining fuel.

This was my first long trip, so I stopped worrying and let the car tell me what to do. I find that
ABRP is more pessimistic than the car itself, BTW.

If my cardio chancre mechanic cooperates, I plan on a Dallas - LaPlata, MO round trip next month.
This should be an interesting test.

According to what I've been told there is no "recalibrate" despite what people write on the net. I following the owners manual and only charge to 100% for long trips. I don't let battery woes keep me up at night.

"Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery. NOTE: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary. There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly."

True, but the problem is that many folks here charge their car to 80% daily. Some charge it to 70% daily. They THEN come here and complain about battery degradation, only to be reminded that they need to charge it up to 90% for BMS recalibration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
True, but the problem is that many folks here charge their car to 80% daily. Some charge it to 70% daily. They THEN come here and complain about battery degradation, only to be reminded that they need to charge it up to 90% for BMS recalibration.

Arctic_White: Your post is likely spot on, and I certainly don't disagree with it. While I am an Electrical Engineer and deal with this sort of thing, I am by no means anywhere near being an authority on batteries, certainly not present day Li-Ion design. I've been through all the foofaraw over NiCads and all the rest, "memory", and so on.
I would, however, enjoy having a definitive source for correct information. Has Tesla ever come out and specifically stated "For best battery life and least range degradation, we say to ... " and state the procedures and numbers?
I fear there is so much anecdotal information floating around out there "happened to my Uncle Fred, he saw the see-ment in the car...", we may never know the best measure.
As I said in my post, until I get an official ruling from a truly authoritarian source, I;m just gonna let the car tell me what I need, not charge to 100% unless absolutely necessary, and enjoy the living Hell out of driving my rather nifty automobile. There are enough Superchargers, Level II chargers, and places where I can plug in my adapter, I just don't worry about it. Yes, it takes a little more thought to long distance driving in a Tesla, but it is a small price to pay, $16 for a trip that used to cost me $82, for starters...
As it happens, if I plug in when I get home from work, I am back to 90% by the time I leave the next day. That works for me. YMMV, as it were...

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Arctic_White: Your post is likely spot on, and I certainly don't disagree with it. While I am an Electrical Engineer and deal with this sort of thing, I am by no means anywhere near being an authority on batteries, certainly not present day Li-Ion design. I've been through all the foofaraw over NiCads and all the rest, "memory", and so on.
I would, however, enjoy having a definitive source for correct information. Has Tesla ever come out and specifically stated "For best battery life and least range degradation, we say to ... " and state the procedures and numbers?
I fear there is so much anecdotal information floating around out there "happened to my Uncle Fred, he saw the see-ment in the car...", we may never know the best measure.
As I said in my post, until I get an official ruling from a truly authoritarian source, I;m just gonna let the car tell me what I need, not charge to 100% unless absolutely necessary, and enjoy the living Hell out of driving my rather nifty automobile. There are enough Superchargers, Level II chargers, and places where I can plug in my adapter, I just don't worry about it. Yes, it takes a little more thought to long distance driving in a Tesla, but it is a small price to pay, $16 for a trip that used to cost me $82, for starters...
As it happens, if I plug in when I get home from work, I am back to 90% by the time I leave the next day. That works for me. YMMV, as it were...

No one knows for SURE, but like you, I also charge it up at 90% each night and call it a day.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my vehicle and will not worry about battery degradation.

Reactions: drdumont
ABRP allows you to calibrate your Reference Consumption for your Tesla, or you can input what you think your car's consumption is at 65mph. That should make it less pessimistic.
Indeed. I've played with that a few times. And I leave it a little pessimistic, being a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy.
Bottom line is, after a couple of longish trips and a daily commute, I leave the gauge on "Energy" for daily use, and treat it like the fuel gauge of old. My Buicks had a "Distance to Empty" display as well, which was dynamic and pretty accurate.
So now I've got a kind of calibration card in my head, and if, like today, I need to make a different short, I just consult the mileage meter and plan accordingly.

Reactions: KenC

I'm at 208miles out of 240 on my rated range. Let's see how it plays out in the next few months.

I don't have too much to add other than I wish Tesla would tighten up the degradation warranty a bit. The EPA range is relatively ideal (it is possible to exceed it), and while a 10% reduction (~ 280 miles) for a Long Range Model 3 isn't the end of the world, nor is hitting 30% reduction at 150K-200K miles, hitting higher reductions at less miles is a pretty big penalty to pay..

I suspect a battery degraded 20% is also using more energy to charge, can handle less regen/etc .. Leaf batterys missing bars (ie. 13% degradation or more) start to show significant reductions in efficiency further compounding the aging problem.

Love my Model 3, but a 25% range reduction at 100K miles would definitely make me replace it .. prematurely ..

At the minimum, widespread awareness will help other future owners know that they might get a "bad" pack that degrades up to 30% without the ability to make a warranty claim, and if they're okay with that, then at least expectations are set correctly. If I know a 300-mile rated car could actually only provide 210 miles of *rated* range, I personally would not value it enough to buy it, but others might.

This is my main takeaway. It'll be the first thing I tell prospective owners. We absolutely would not have paid the $75k (Canadian) we did on the car had I known there was a 30% allowance on the early-life capacity. It's not like it's 15% one way and 15% the other - the 30% is all negative potential. Fine if it works out (and so far it has for us, thankfully), but that's an expensive gamble. We really, really do need the range - 20% reduction would mean we now need a gas car again and the purchase would've been pointless. This will be the case more often than average around me (things are spread out here).

As for why 20% drop wouldn't be workable - effectively use 10-90%, so 80%, drop efficiency by 30% average in Winter. That's 56% real-world range compared to rated, about 280km. This is on the very edge of our needs for the car already, and another 20% off that would not be workable without massive sacrifices and/or a gas vehicle backup.

Technically all SR+ may have been moved up to 250mi max, but any that were already sufficiently degraded (i.e. pre-2020) wouldn't be able to show it anyways. Given that SR+ seems to have worse degradation on average (anecdotal, not verified) I think most people would chew through that 4% pretty quickly, even before factoring in that they're not shipping with 250mi on the display to begin with.

It makes sense SR+ would have worse degradation than LR. They deal with more or less the same power loads (climate control is exactly the same, aerodynamics are exactly the same, weight on hills is notably different), despite having a smaller battery. Therefore the relative stress would be higher on the SR+ packs than the LR ones.

Funny enough, this is how Tesla gets away with looking so good compared to earlier EV options. They shoved the biggest packs in that they could and declared victory. See it like this: If a trip takes 10kWh to heat the cabin throughout, how do a 20kWh battery and an 50kWh battery compare? Half of the 10kWh went just to heating the cabin, but only 20% of the bigger pack. It's magic.

EDIT: There's a simpler explanation, upon re-reading this part. Doh. The cycle count on SR+ will also be higher than an LR pack for the same number of miles travelled. This is also why their warranty is less, and why Elon gave two numbers for lifetime expectations of the battery (one for SR+, one for LR). SR+ absolutely has more stress than LR over its life, and will degrade faster.

From my observation, people on the forums started recommending the charge/discharge/calibration after Tesla Service employees started doing so. The employees didn't recommend exactly the same procedures (some even conflict) for every person, but the theme was the same: charge high, drive it down low, repeat.

That's as official a source as we're going to get probably. It's unfortunately the same source that told many people that the battery gauge changes based on how you drive (which Tesla had to release a statement saying it doesn't). Personally I don't buy all these "calibration" processes. If the BMS is so poorly designed for adapting to real life charge habits (which Tesla had years of info on prior to the Model 3)... I just don't think that's real. And anecdotally, there's quite a load of people on these forums that the process didn't help at all (or in some cases ended up reporting less capacity). I think confirmation bias with a relatively misunderstood system is to blame.

People ultimately want a reason and a fix. "Bad estimate" gives them a reason, and "charge and discharge" gives them something to try in the absence of Tesla actually caring about our (very real and accurately reported) degradation.

Tangent: What we know from other info posted here is that all these recommendations to charge high then discharge then immediately charge again bypass the only understood process of estimation from the theory of operation documents. Someone here pointed out a rest period is needed both before and after. Really, this makes a lot of sense to find the resting open-circuit voltages (along with the other info known/estimated like internal resistance and measured capacity). The rest period advice is absent from all the recommended calibration processes, even flat out discouraged in the cases that recommend charging to 100% of course.

Without actually telling me directly I have huge capacity (CAC) loss, he told me with a “tell it all” face expression that there is some deviation in the fleet and there is a top and the bottom in the fleet which will have differences.

Thanks for the info. How refreshing to have a tech actually be semi honest with you instead of the default "within spec". This more or less confirms what most of us in this situation already believe....that some packs are just better than others. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the calibration procedures being told by Tesla techs are just to keep us believing that we can get the capacity back someday so we stay happy.

I can understand Tesla's point of view. If they told customers that their battery capacity has degraded it sounds real negative and might create some angry customers and negative press. Saying "its within spec" sounds more positive...even though within spec just means less than 30% loss.

Reactions: duanra
Technically all SR+ may have been moved up to 250mi max, but any that were already sufficiently degraded (i.e. pre-2020) wouldn't be able to show it anyways. Given that SR+ seems to have worse degradation on average (anecdotal, not verified) I think most people would chew through that 4% pretty quickly, even before factoring in that they're not shipping with 250mi on the display to begin with.
Yes the SR+ people have more degradation but main reason is it has a way smaller buffer and less room before it shows capacity loss.

Ours only has a 2.1kWh buffer. I have seen it be 2.2kWh also (but more on other people’s car)

All the other reasons you listed are also at least partially true (because of cycle counts on smaller pack) however most people have a very high “instant” capacity loss or at least within A few months after only “A few” charges.

It more seems like a mix of a smaller buffer + lower minimum capacity allowed before they scrap it.

Is the advertised range fair compared to orher EV’s using EPA or WLTP?.... I don’t think so: reccomended is 90% charge (EPA/WLTP based on 100%) and most cars (especially SR+) don’t even come with SR non-plus range and capacity...

I certainly didn’t expect -10% first month and -13.8% month 9 after 80 cycles and proper use, almost no superchargers.

I honestly feel reallt bad about it because anything above 10% loss means I need more 100% charges AND I can do fewer “round trips” to My family, harder to reach next superchargers (charging at SuC 95% is slow), especially in winter.

• Informative
So do you think this might be part of the real reason why Tesla is considering dropping the SR+ from the lineup?
I assume you're referring to the Model Y? I hadn't thought of it that way, but maybe. I just figure it's a cost cutting measure. Enough people buy the longer range, higher marked up ones to question the point of losing money on lower trims. Brand protection as having the longest-distance, longest-lasting EVs also makes a lot of sense.

Yes the SR+ people have more degradation but main reason is it has a way smaller buffer and less room before it shows capacity loss.

Ours only has a 2.1kWh buffer. I have seen it be 2.2kWh also (but more on other people’s car)

All the other reasons you listed are also at least partially true (because of cycle counts on smaller pack) however most people have a very high “instant” capacity loss or at least within A few months after only “A few” charges.

It more seems like a mix of a smaller buffer + lower minimum capacity allowed before they scrap it.

Is the advertised range fair compared to orher EV’s using EPA or WLTP?.... I don’t think so: reccomended is 90% charge (EPA/WLTP based on 100%) and most cars (especially SR+) don’t even come with SR non-plus range and capacity...

I certainly didn’t expect -10% first month and -13.8% month 9 after 80 cycles and proper use, almost no superchargers.

I honestly feel reallt bad about it because anything above 10% loss means I need more 100% charges AND I can do fewer “round trips” to My family, harder to reach next superchargers (charging at SuC 95% is slow), especially in winter.

Your absolute buffer is smaller, but the relative buffer is the same. Bottom buffer is about 4.5% of current energy capacity, across both SR+ and LR. They're actually discharging each cell to the same point on SR+ vs. LR, so there's not additional stress from that point alone. The same point just has more reserve in the larger pack because it's larger.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but other EVs are within typical rating agency margins as well, just like Tesla. And also like Tesla, I believe most of them have some recommended limitation on SoC for daily use since they're basically using similar enough chemistries still that we can compare them.

But it's a fair point they seem to either have a faster dropoff or at least lower-than-expected initial capacity more often than the LR packs. If true, this could be a cost-cutting measure on the SR+. It's been said publicly that they're not exactly making money on them, at least not compared to the LR. Tesla isn't exactly a well disciplined company (well, certainly doesn't look like it externally) so it's unsurprising but sad if this is what's happening.

This sounds insane now, but I hope your battery degrades harder, faster, and soon. Get in that warranty range and get a swap. Dang, man. I'm a bit sad I ever gave Tesla money if this is how they continue to treat owners.

• Helpful
This sounds insane now, but I hope your battery degrades harder, faster, and soon. Get in that warranty range and get a swap. Dang, man. I'm a bit sad I ever gave Tesla money if this is how they continue to treat owners.

True... I think? It just feels weird... I do hope to ever get a proper pack. They didn’t even give me a chance to keep near “best” possible capacity if it was never there to begin with.

Thing is they first try and ghost you bu telling “ohh just temporary “ or calibrate BMS, or drive from full to near empty and charge..

9months later, nothing changed. It’s just a deflection tactic and the average only got worse.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
I haven't read much lately from Mid Range owners on this topic, so here is a data point from my Mid Range.

Dec 2018 build, purchased on March 2019.
About 20900 miles on the car now
I did get 264 miles when new, but now my projected 100% is at 229 miles. I generally charged to 80 or 90% daily, and only charged to 100% on few occasions when I had to run long trips.

I am a bit surprised by this. I was expecting a couple % of range loss, but I am a bit surprised by a 13% loss after 20k miles.

• Informative