Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to pay the premium for those high endurance flash drive or SD cards.

An SSD that is designed to run continuously in a computer has the same endurance as well as high performance. Something like the Kingston A400 M2 120GB SSD drive cost $20. It won't run hot and will last a long time. Do note that you need to grab an M2 SSD to USB adapter for a few bucks.

You don't have to pay the premium for those high endurance flash drive or SD cards.

An SSD that is designed to run continuously in a computer has the same endurance as well as high performance. Something like the Kingston A400 M2 120GB SSD drive cost $20. It won't run hot and will last a long time. Do note that you need to grab an M2 SSD to USB adapter for a few bucks.

Also note the operating/environmental temp range for an SSD is much more narrow than a USB key for SD card.

This probably doesn't matter where you are in San Jose- especially if you keep cabin overheat protection on.

But it can matter a great deal in places it actually gets cold or if one doesn't run cabin overheat in places it gets warm.

Also note the operating/environmental temp range for an SSD is much more narrow than a USB key for SD card.

This probably doesn't matter where you are in San Jose- especially if you keep cabin overheat protection on.

But it can matter a great deal in places it actually gets cold or if one doesn't run cabin overheat in places it gets warm.

The tricky part here is that storage cards report "storage temperature" which is often different than operating temperature. Most USB microSD card readers have operating temperature at 0C to 70C which coincidentally is the same as the operating temp of most SSD drives. We should look for any USB card readers that have better operating temp that members can turn to. Do keep an eye out as some have even lower operating temp at 0-60C.

Most USB microSD card readers have operating temperature at 0C to 70C which coincidentally is the same as the operating temp of most SSD drives.

Most SSDs do not have an operating temp down to what comparable flash cards or USB keys do.

32 - 140 F (since most on here will understand that scale better) is what say the oft-recommended Samsung T5 SSD is rated at for operating temps (as are most SSDs I've seen suggested)

Samsungs FIT plus USB drive (what I'm using) is both significantly cheaper and rated for operating temps down to -13F (also rated up to 185 in the heat)

Samsungs PRO SDcards are also significantly cheaper than the SSD and also rated same as the USB keys down to -13F and up to 185F

So the non-SSD options can operating 50 degrees colder than SSDs (and 45 degrees hotter)

Just got hit with the top slow error message. Was using a sandisk 256gb usb that worked fine for a while. I ordered the sandisk endurance microsd and adapter that people said worked.

Have you ever cleaned it out?

One current theory is- since flash memory (all types) slows down as it fills up you're less likely to have issues if you keep it at least 25% or more empty

FWIW I yank and clean out my 128GB Samsung Fit Plus every 2-3 months (it's usually not more than ~40-60% full) and have never had an issue in over a year of use.

Most SSDs do not have an operating temp down to what comparable flash cards or USB keys do.

Agreed. Do note that I'm not talking about the operating temperature of the media. To use a piece of microSD memory card on the Model 3, you need to plug it into a USB card reader.

I have not yet found a USB card reader with operating temperatures comparable to the operating temp of the microSD media. For example, a USB card reader from Kingston (MobileLite Duo 3C) would state an operating temp of 0°C to 60°C. If you buy the endurance microSD from SanDisk or Samsung, you'll notice that they don't package with USB card readers, and it's very hard to find any data on operating temp from usb card readers from those vendors. It would be really great for TMC members to know which USB adapter offers robust operating temperature in the (-10C to 80C) range. I have yet to find one.

With that in mind, your Samsung Fit is probably the best overall package with great operating temperature for those who have to worry about it. It is not the same class of memory as Samsung's endurance series, so I'd like to see how they handle continuous re-writes over time.

There's a dizzying array of options out there. I think many of us care for the memory card's endurance over anything else. I've been trying to find SLC memory cards or SSD but they're still pretty expensive, so finding the most current 3D NAND MLC cards seem to be the name of the game as they tout that the newer MLC chips are still cheap but more reliable than the old ones.

• Informative
Reactions: superblast
Data point. No issues with my T5 in a couple months. Have let if overwrite data for the past few weeks as well. Finally just wiped it today at 499GB full, which it has been for the last few weeks.

likewise,I have had the Samsung T5 a couple of months and it has not failed me once.

the provided cables are a great length for sitting in the MS or just plugging into my iPad to view.

best wishes.

• Informative
Reactions: whatthe2
Have you ever cleaned it out?

One current theory is- since flash memory (all types) slows down as it fills up you're less likely to have issues if you keep it at least 25% or more empty

FWIW I yank and clean out my 128GB Samsung Fit Plus every 2-3 months (it's usually not more than ~40-60% full) and have never had an issue in over a year of use.
Maybe you’re right. I cleaned the drive last night and it works again. I’m still going with the Sandisk high endurance since it supposedly works.

I use a Sandisk 128 GB sdcard through an adapter for DashCam/Sentry Mode, and a Samsung 128 GB usb 3.0 thumb drivefor music (has about 80 GB of MP3 music on it). Both work fine. My only issue is that the car remembering USB playback if I'm away more than half an hour is usually inconsistent. Will a SSD help in that regard? Or it's that more of a fault with the car's programming? I'd like for the USB playback to remember what song it was on every time.