Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: V 2019.40.1.1 170kW charging, Neural Net for Auto Wipers, Auto Lane Change quicker

Did you get 2019.40 or higher?

• Yes

Votes: 152 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 353 69.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, the auto lane change assertiveness is incredible with this update. I installed it while at my parents house for Thanksgiving so I got to see it in action with the holiday traffic on the Garden State Parkway. No more hesitation or slowness with lane changes. For both NoA and manually initiated auto lane changes my car started changing lanes immediately and performed the lane change much much faster than ever before. I set NoA to Mad Max before driving home and on that mode it certainly is quite aggressive with the lane changes. In the past I would sometimes turn off NoA because it wasn’t handling lane changes well with heavy traffic or when the speed difference between lanes was significant. I think the days of me turning off NoA are gone thanks to these faster and more confident lane changes. I had an hour drive home just now and did not have a single aborted lane change. I’m extremely impressed and pleased with this update so far.

Some other notes:
- Spotify is still listed as “Spötify” in the audio source selection menu for some odd reason.
- I think the passenger air bag warning is constant on the screen now at the very top right. If this isn’t new with this release then I guess I haven’t seen it before.
Does Spotify seem to work any better? Mine gets stuck loading on the first try, every time I get in the car.

Does Spotify seem to work any better? Mine gets stuck loading on the first try, every time I get in the car.

Spotify seemed fine to me but I’ve only been in my car for an hour drive since I updated. Hardly enough time to determine if it is any more stable than previous versions. I will be watching it closely though as Spotify has been flakey on other versions for me as well.

Reactions: silenteski
Wow, the auto lane change assertiveness is incredible with this update. I installed it while at my parents house for Thanksgiving so I got to see it in action with the holiday traffic on the Garden State Parkway. No more hesitation or slowness with lane changes. For both NoA and manually initiated auto lane changes my car started changing lanes immediately and performed the lane change much much faster than ever before. I set NoA to Mad Max before driving home and on that mode it certainly is quite aggressive with the lane changes. In the past I would sometimes turn off NoA because it wasn’t handling lane changes well with heavy traffic or when the speed difference between lanes was significant. I think the days of me turning off NoA are gone thanks to these faster and more confident lane changes. I had an hour drive home just now and did not have a single aborted lane change. I’m extremely impressed and pleased with this update so far.

Some other notes:
- Spotify is still listed as “Spötify” in the audio source selection menu for some odd reason.
- I think the passenger air bag warning is constant on the screen now at the very top right. If this isn’t new with this release then I guess I haven’t seen it before.

Does it require less space between other vehicles than before?

Hope I get it soon. The charging team in the Netherlands said that 2019.40 would likely include a fix to the wall charger, letting those of us who have 230V 3-phase get a 50%+ increase in charging rate.
How does this work? Isn’t the on-board charger a fixed maximum kw power throughput from ac to dc? Anyways if it works I’m jealous cause I’m not getting three phase here.

How does this work? Isn’t the on-board charger a fixed maximum kw power throughput from ac to dc? Anyways if it works I’m jealous cause I’m not getting three phase here.
There is a bug in the wall charger when using 3 phase on an IT type gris (I think this is the name of the type we have in large parts of Europe. Feel free to correct me if anyone knows). It causes the wall charger to only deliver around 66% of maximum output to be in the "safe side".
When I plug in a TM3 in my wall charger the electrician measures around 5.6kW. when the electrician plugged in his TMS he measured around 7.9kW
The TM3 is technically better suited for the European power grid than the TMS, so he helped get in touch with the team in the Netherlands because he was curious himself. They said that they estimated the fix would come (through the car) in 2019.40, but no guarantees. Crossing my fingers :)

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just used a voice command “play ‘The Crownless King’ by Killswitch Engage” and it started playing immediately! No showing search results and having to select the song on the screen to start playing it. Right after that song finished I said “play ‘Fear Inoculum’ by Tool” and that started playing immediately too. Both played from Spotify. I missed this functionality!!!

Edit: I couldn’t find anything in the menus about selecting a default music service. It looks like if you’re signed into Spotify is uses that to do the searches and plays the music immediately from there.

Last edited:
Does it require less space between other vehicles than before?

I drove with distance set to 3 and my car merged in behind another one with less room in front than if I had distance set to 1 and I was following that car normally.

I still had to abort once or twice when the car wasn’t moving over quickly enough despite extra room so it’s not perfect, but it’s definitely improved.

GreentheOnly said he found automatic driving on city streets code in the release. Obviously not enabled yet.
This doesn't surprise me. I think the fact that AP speed can be set to zero says a lot. Seems like this is an early sign of stop sign and stoplight capabilities. I'd imagine they've been running this in shadow shadow mode already.

I would assume this is the next big feature that we'll see.

I got 40.1.1 and used it on several LA freeways today. The lane changes are way better, but when simply driving straight the car swerves toward the left and right sides of the lane anytime the freeway has a slight curve, which is unsettling and annoying. Previous software was better at keeping the lane on freeways. I'm excited about the new lane changes but the autopilot is overall a worse experience now.

Spotify seems fixed I was out all day and mine worked fine... I did notice that the hold option for one pedal driving doesn't kick in as fast as before. The car seems to roll further than before, which makes me wonder if they did that so that reversing down a driveway would be easier. I personally prefer it the way it was before where it would stop right away.