Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Mercedes CLS and I do miss them now in the model Y. Being able to be on full beam all the time and not blind other road users is a game changer for night driving. Of course if you are in a model 3 or Y you blind everyone by default even in low beam.
Surely not… I can’t believe I’m blinding anyone if I’ve never been flashed. Also the Model 3 has now had 3 totally different headlight designs… one pre matrix, one matrix (pre Highland) and one matrix (Highland). They can’t all be the same!

Surely not… I can’t believe I’m blinding anyone if I’ve never been flashed. Also the Model 3 has now had 3 totally different headlight designs… one pre matrix, one matrix (pre Highland) and one matrix (Highland). They can’t all be the same!
If your car isn’t parked on a slope when you do your updates, then it might be OK.

The headlights get adjusted (matrix or not) during a software update, they run through the self leveling thing, where my driveway isn’t completely flat, it then throws the adjustment out of whack. I have to run the self levelling thing after every update on some flat ground.

If your car isn’t parked on a slope when you do your updates, then it might be OK.

The headlights get adjusted (matrix or not) during a software update, they run through the self leveling thing, where my driveway isn’t completely flat, it then throws the adjustment out of whack. I have to run the self levelling thing after every update on some flat ground.
That bug was fixed some time ago - taking account of the European requirement for a self leveling sensor is now in the code

Reactions: DaveW and KennethS
I pass one hell of a lot of Model Y and 3s over here and can say I've never been blinded by their headlights. It's not a thing.
It might not be a thing now but it's been an issue of debate a long time ago with many of us being flashed by oncoming drivers. I can only say Ive had to adjust our cars a few times to the point that the headlights on my Y and the Mrs 3 are less than optimal.

However if its a case that they are no longer "being messed with", I will go to an MOT station and offer some money so that they can be properly adjusted.

Reactions: ACarneiro
You don't need an MOT station, you need a wall and a tape measure. The weird beam pattern that the lights change to (the L and mirror version) are so you can calibrate them yourselves. Tweaking up and down and left and right without the guide will always result in a sub-optimal outcome.

Annoying when the calibration resets after a software update though.

I got the feeling the old issue was down to the US not having a self leveling requirement and Tesla trying to use a sensor which wasn't really designed for the job to work out where level was. I understand with LED lights our cars are meant to adjust when starting a journey to account for load in the boot, ie heavy load would normally mean the lights would point high as the rear suspension is more squashed. A similar approach was thought to be done after software updates or when triggered from the service menu and if the car wasn't level, it might assume it was level when actually pointing up or down hill, and consequently get it a bit wrong.

I doubt they can over come the sensor issue just by wishful thinking and AI, but they may try and use other mechanisms to help out.

I can't say I've even been flashed, but I was followed by the wife once driving the Tesla and the lights did seem a bit aggressive to me in the rear view mirror. I kind of wondered if the hard suspension makes the car a bit more jiggly and can give the impression they're flashing you? I wasn't well in the week and was a passenger on a long drive and I simply couldn't rest my head on the headrest to sleep whilst we were on the motorway, I knew it was firm but it was quite uncomfortable (model Y), some of that may end up affecting the beam

If the camera can see the light pattern projected by the headlights, it can self-calibrate and only a coarse level sensor reading is required.
My car looks out of undulating fields, I'm not sure the beam would help. You really need to be facing a flat wall for that to work. So it could work in some situations, but its not a solution an engineer would consider a reliable one.

My 2022 M3 had the setting change some time ago, that's when the code was updated to account for the ride sensor on European cars

I see. I wouldn't have noticed it since it how mine always worked. I would go and check the model 3 outside but its cold and its a bit like this 🤭 ...

stock-photo-man-without-pants-in-working-on-a-computer-laptop-humor-coronavirus-remote-work-in-underpants-1728848596.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: goRt