Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely not… I can’t believe I’m blinding anyone if I’ve never been flashed. Also the Model 3 has now had 3 totally different headlight designs… one pre matrix, one matrix (pre Highland) and one matrix (Highland). They can’t all be the same!
Surely yes. The m3 and MY headlight are tuned so high out of the factory. Partly because my last car was low down but every single time I was dazzled it was a Tesla, and every time a Tesla went by me, it dazzled me. This isn't just my opinion. This rather well known chap made a whole video about it

Reactions: thax1 and Js1977
Surely yes. The m3 and MY headlight are tuned so high out of the factory. Partly because my last car was low down but every single time I was dazzled it was a Tesla, and every time a Tesla went by me, it dazzled me. This isn't just my opinion. This rather well known chap made a whole video about it

The world has moved on since that video was made, and I wasn’t convinced he was right at the time.

The world have moved on, yet Tesla's continue to blind me. Now owning one I can see for myself how high the cut off is and how much the l shape goes up. Anyone on my left waiting to come out is getting that full on in the face.

Note, I came to this conclusion prior to doing any research. Just being a frustrated road user that could spot a Tesla a mile off by the fact it was blinding me. When I ordered my Tesla I found the above video and I said "I knew it"!!!

Ironically I went out for dinner on Saturday, drove about 30 miles each way to get there/back. I was the one being blinded... my auto highbeams were dipping well ahead of the vehicles coming the other way...

Admittedly, my "legacy" M3 was absolutely useless with Auto Highbeam, but its nice to see its improved. My only gripe atm is that it doesnt dip for areas lit by streetlight.

I’ve had both of ours checked at an approved MOT centre and both are well within specification. Maybe you should get yours checked?
I’m wondering if any roll out of matrix functionality via OTA updates to the legacy fleet will first require a ‘proper’ calibration and levelling of the existing system.
It’d be no good turning on and off individual pixels if they’re pointed in random directions.
Whether this could be semi-automated (I.e. point the car at a flat wall and let it calibrate) or if it’d need an actual target pattern to copy, or MOT light box -dunno.
Maybe the Highlands are getting this on the production line now?

I’m wondering if any roll out of matrix functionality via OTA updates to the legacy fleet will first require a ‘proper’ calibration and levelling of the existing system.
It’d be no good turning on and off individual pixels if they’re pointed in random directions.
Whether this could be semi-automated (I.e. point the car at a flat wall and let it calibrate) or if it’d need an actual target pattern to copy, or MOT light box -dunno.
I expect that there's an assumed beam pattern and an AI deployed to adjust per vehicle

As they have recently implemented a solution for driving on the content for us with RHD cars then I guess they’d have confidence they can adjust the lights on the fly already.

As they have recently implemented a solution for driving on the content for us with RHD cars then I guess they’d have confidence they can adjust the lights on the fly already.
I noticed a few weeks ago when getting off the train in France that - yes - the lights auto adjusted as soon as the car got GPS and realised where it was, this was expected as I'd read that it now happens (since around October 2023 I believe). What was interesting was the way that it did it - for the first 5 minutes or so after adjusting, while driving (we didn't stop until Bruges) the headlights were pointing very obviously down at the road ahead and slowly they adjusted themselves back up to the right level. Essentially all it did was completely mirror the beam pattern, but it was very obviously doing some sort of automatic calibration or levelling while it switched over.

Those aren’t my own headlight design. (1st gen) In any case this was a while ago and there have been software changes since then. Some Teslas may have lights that blind other drivers but as I said, I’m confident that mine do not. It’s strange that you think you know how my headlights are adjusted! My car has passed 2 MOT tests without lighting issues being identified.

Those aren’t my own headlight design. (1st gen) In any case this was a while ago and there have been software changes since then. Some Teslas may have lights that blind other drivers but as I said, I’m confident that mine do not. It’s strange that you think you know how my headlights are adjusted! My car has passed 2 MOT tests without lighting issues being identified.
I think on our Tesla when we got it the low beams were perfectly adjusted to the height to blind everyone, from cars to SUV’s. The high beams could make airplanes divert to another airport 😉

Reactions: trickytree1984
I never made a comment about how your headlights were adjusted. I was commenting on lights out of the factory. If you've adjusted them, then you have fixed them, and proved the point. Thanks.

The world has moved on since that video was made, and I wasn’t convinced he was right at the time.
Was there an update that officially declared it improved the lights or introduced an auto-calibration?
Reason I ask is I drove in the dark yesterday immediately after I’d done a software update. It may be just because I’d been reading this thread, but I thought ‘uh,oh - these lights look set a bit higher than usual, I’ll need to check that’ as I drove off the driveway.
However, after a few hundred metres, they seemed absolutely fine again.

So maybe it’s a ‘thing’ now that they level themselves based on an axle sensor?
I know the VAG cars I’ve had previously did a lights ‘waggle-dance’ every trip when setting off.

Was there an update that officially declared it improved the lights or introduced an auto-calibration?
Reason I ask is I drove in the dark yesterday immediately after I’d done a software update. It may be just because I’d been reading this thread, but I thought ‘uh,oh - these lights look set a bit higher than usual, I’ll need to check that’ as I drove off the driveway.
However, after a few hundred metres, they seemed absolutely fine again.

So maybe it’s a ‘thing’ now that they level themselves based on an axle sensor?
I know the VAG cars I’ve had previously did a lights ‘waggle-dance’ every trip when setting off.
It's been a legal requirement since the introduction of xenon headlights that there's an axle sensor
Tesla had it but forgot to code it in during the adjustment during some software updates

• Funny
Reactions: Cardo
It's been a legal requirement since the introduction of xenon headlights that there's an axle sensor
Tesla had it but forgot to code it in during the adjustment during some software updates
A nice loophole. Required to have a sensor, not required for it to work ;)

You can see Tesla puts in Maximum Effort to these legal requirements from the cheap LED’s they’ve got for blind spot indicators in the new Highland cars.

You can see Tesla puts in Maximum Effort to these legal requirements from the cheap LED’s they’ve got for blind spot indicators in the new Highland cars.
Although its not the most elegant solution, I personally don't see the issue. There is a blind spot indicator and it does its job.

On one breath people moan that Tesla do everything an overly complicated way, and in another breath complain about a simple and effective solution.

Although its not the most elegant solution, I personally don't see the issue. There is a blind spot indicator and it does its job.

On one breath people moan that Tesla do everything an overly complicated way, and in another breath complain about a simple and effective solution.
No I mean it does the job and better than not having it. Just would have thought they might have had an LED logo or something a bit more than the cheapest LED you can get your hands on.

As much as Tesla like to save money, this one feels like they didn’t plan to fit it originally and tacked it on last minute. I suspect their plan was the flashing in the corner of the camera images on the screen to avoid hardware but regulators in some market denied that as meeting the legal requirements so hence they went on Amazon, picked up a pack of nice cheap LED’s and wired them into the cars ;)

Anyway don’t take it wrong way. Does job and that’s main thing, just think even Tesla might have done a bit more if maybe it wasn’t a last minute addition that I think it was.

No I mean it does the job and better than not having it. Just would have thought they might have had an LED logo or something a bit more than the cheapest LED you can get your hands on.

As much as Tesla like to save money, this one feels like they didn’t plan to fit it originally and tacked it on last minute. I suspect their plan was the flashing in the corner of the camera images on the screen to avoid hardware but regulators in some market denied that as meeting the legal requirements so hence they went on Amazon, picked up a pack of nice cheap LED’s and wired them into the cars ;)

Anyway don’t take it wrong way. Does job and that’s main thing, just think even Tesla might have done a bit more if maybe it wasn’t a last minute addition that I think it was.
That is fair, I do think it is not the most elegant solution but I like it personally as it's where I'm looking (the mirror) rather than me having to look at the mirror, then the screen, then back again before manoeuvring.

Personally, although not a particularly elegant solution I do like that it is 'hidden in plain sight' behind the tweeter grill. Keeps with the minimalist interior... I have had similar systems in other cars and it has been a bog standard LED but behind the mirror. Scraping the barrel for pro's, a good thing with this being in the speaker grill is that if its raining really hard you can still clearly see it is on (I did say scraping the barrel!!! 😂)