Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's funny because one of my posts got removed for calling out a moderator who was moderating out comments that disagreed with his own point of view
I am aware of one of your posts which got removed because you asked a question about how moderators are themselves moderated. That was off topic and would have been better as a direct message and I sent you a detailed answer at the time.

With some googling, I have seen reference to Tesla using Samsung Pixcell ADB but can't say its definite proof thats what they are using, Unless someone knows of a teardown video on YouTube? Pixcell looks to have been announced in 2021 by Samsung.
I guess I’m struggling to see how that could work given there’s been no previous indication of sharing video feeds in that way, and given that’s the only sensors now available must be at the core.

My hunch, and it’s only a hunch, I shared quite early on in this thread. Once the car has the spatial layout sorted which we now see as part of the Tesla vision parking views and many more cars visible on the screen when driving, that provides an opportunity to mask out those regions where cars are located using relatively simple trigonometry. I’ve not seen or heard any rumour of the Samsung offering, although it may well be the lights themselves have some third party software that translates ‘don’t illuminate over there’ to turning off the appropriate light sources. The hard part I would have thought was knowing where to turn off and when, and it’s that which I assume is Tesla

The irony is, he's got loads of cars at his disposal so he could have filmed the car on the route without active matrix, the Highland with it and then an Audi or BMW or anything he has available with a different adaptive solution and compared them. It would have taken a bit of planning, but would have been authorative. I hate to think how long he can make the video if he gets around to actually doing that.

This video smacks of nothing but an attempt to cash in.
I think on balance he wanted to get a video out while adaptive headlights was the talk of the town, so to speak. Anyone making videos on "Tesla adaptive headlights DOES THIS NEAT TRICK #watchtilend" or whatever is going to capture a load of impressions in the short term while people are in the moment trying to find out all about it.

I liked RSymon's auto park comparison video with other marques, but it feels of late that he's pivoted to more of a "get a video out ASAP on whatever is being talked about" strategy.

Get plenty of entertainment here... its a bit of a joke sometimes 🤭

That will be right. Its use for entertainment purposes is even included in the Terms of Service.

6. COMMUNITY DISCUSSION

Community discussion including the TMC Forums, Clubs, and Groups, are designed for members to express their opinions, viewpoints and testimonials on various products, services and events based upon speculation, personal knowledge and factual information, therefore all views represented here allow no liability upon TMC and the owners of said views assume no liability for any ill will resulting from these postings. The posts made here are for educational as well as entertainment purposes and as such anyone viewing this portion of the website must accept these views as statements of the author of that opinion and agree to release the authors from any and all liability.

Apparently Highland is worse, for some reason.

Retrofitted matrix lights to my crusty old 2020 car today as part of an end-of-warranty inspection. Big thanks to James @ Cleevely for fitting them for me, and @Kate@Teslogic for coding them.

Obviously don’t do anything intelligent but hopefully soon…

IMG_7209.jpeg

(a terrible photograph for seeing the difference)

Apparently Highland is worse, for some reason.

Retrofitted matrix lights to my crusty old 2020 car today as part of an end-of-warranty inspection. Big thanks to James @ Cleevely for fitting them for me, and @Kate@Teslogic for coding them.

Obviously don’t do anything intelligent but hopefully soon…

View attachment 1023269

(a terrible photograph for seeing the difference)
Ooooh! Are they available for the 2019?
And, may I ask, how much did they cost?

Reactions: Durzel
Ooooh! Are they available for the 2019?
And, may I ask, how much did they cost?
Not officially.

I bought the lights off eBay. Coding was done by a guy from Teslogic. Basically dialled into a laptop connected to my car with a diagnostic cable, and changed the gateway configuration. It can’t be done with the public Toolbox 3 offering…

Been following a few threads on here of people who have done it: New headlights retrofit

But yes - you could do it if you wanted to. I only bothered because of the chance that the pre-Highland lights would be made adaptive. They are better at illuminating the road though, based on a short drive earlier.